Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:30 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
If one knows where one wants to move, exactly.

If I google 55+ condos [in what state], all I get is "active retirement communities," which is not what I'm looking for.
That's just the new buzzword for 55+ communities. Active adult, active retirement, etc. Just means 55+. Some will have an active retiree population, some will just be condos.

Most will accept 1-2 small dogs, but your only way to know is to call the ones that look interesting and ask. I have never seen an MLS listing that shows if/how many dogs allowed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 01:32 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
My MLS has a field for 55+ communities, so a local Realtor could help with that, but nothing in any way possible regarding pet policies. There just isn't an option for that in MLS, so even the Realtor couldn't search by that.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
That's just the new buzzword for 55+ communities. Active adult, active retirement, etc. Just means 55+. Some will have an active retiree population, some will just be condos.
No, not here. There seems to be a subtle but sure distinction between 55+ condos (or rental apartments) and 55+ communities. The 55+ condos near me are just that, age-restricted. There is no indication of 'active' or not. These units are bought; they are not considered a community. No clubhouse or other amenities other than a gathering room in the main building for residents' use.

I never see 55+ units in "communities" listed on realtor sites. They are listed on the communities' website as for sale. I do see listed, here, purchased units that come up in this particular 55+ "condo complex."

Old 08-26-2015, 03:14 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Someone repped me asking whether MLS could be accessed directly by the public. Since I don't know who it was, I'll answer it here. The answer is no, not directly. MLS is a program that Realtors have to pay to be members of. It isn't a free program, and isn't available to the public. In addition, there is sometimes security information in the "hidden" fields that don't feed to websites. For example, a code for the subdivision gate, or even sometimes the code to turn off the alarm system. I've even seen funny ones like "vicious guard dog is a Chihuahua and will be your best friend if you call him by his name: Buddy, but otherwise, may bite you". But many websites access feeds from MLS, which have a variety of searchable fields, depending on the website. The only way to have access to everything is through an agent.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:43 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
Quote:
No, not here. There seems to be a subtle but sure distinction between 55+ condos (or rental apartments) and 55+ communities. The 55+ condos near me are just that, age-restricted. There is no indication of 'active' or not. These units are bought; they are not considered a community. No clubhouse or other amenities other than a gathering room in the main building for residents' use.

I never see 55+ units in "communities" listed on realtor sites. They are listed on the communities' website as for sale. I do see listed, here, purchased units that come up in this particular 55+ "condo complex."
I think you are generalizing from one or two places you happened to have seen and liked.

Take the recommendation previously suggested to use a real estate agent who can access MLS, and in addition to having them search regarding the pet policy, you can also ask them to look for the specific amenities that appeal to you, such as clubhouse, pool, golf course, etc., etc. Once you start getting listings that fit your general parameters, you can do a little more sleuthing online - most of the time, you'll be able to find a website for the community or at the very least, photos people have posted, and then you can decide if it's worth your time to look in person. Since you are seeking some very specific things, it's likely that you won't have a huge number of places to choose from anyway and probably, you'll identify a particular community (or 2 or 3 if you are lucky) and then just need to keep on top of units in those locations as they come up.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think you are generalizing from one or two places you happened to have seen and liked.

Take the recommendation previously suggested to use a real estate agent who can access MLS, and in addition to having them search regarding the pet policy, you can also ask them to look for the specific amenities that appeal to you, such as clubhouse, pool, golf course, etc., etc. Once you start getting listings that fit your general parameters, you can do a little more sleuthing online - most of the time, you'll be able to find a website for the community or at the very least, photos people have posted, and then you can decide if it's worth your time to look in person. Since you are seeking some very specific things, it's likely that you won't have a huge number of places to choose from anyway and probably, you'll identify a particular community (or 2 or 3 if you are lucky) and then just need to keep on top of units in those locations as they come up.
That would work if I were looking in one general geographic area. A this early stage, I am not. And many retirees are not. Those whose residential locations are job-driven are in another category.

I'm really not generalizing; the one 55+ restricted condo complex in my area advertises, and lists, as such.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
My condo allows dogs and we are overwhelmed with dogs already so there is a good chance we will put rules in place to limit dogs at some point. Therefore why advertise dogs are allowed.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:03 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
That would work if I were looking in one general geographic area. A this early stage, I am not. And many retirees are not. Those whose residential locations are job-driven are in another category.

I'm really not generalizing; the one 55+ restricted condo complex in my area advertises, and lists, as such.
No MLS covers all areas. Mostly they are county by county. I know I pay $850 a year to be able to access my local MLS.

www.Realtor.com is owned by the Nat'l Association of Realtors and updates every 15 minutes from local boards. That is your best bet for up to date information.

Stay off Trulia and Zillow.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:31 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post

Most will accept 1-2 small dogs, but your only way to know is to call the ones that look interesting and ask. I have never seen an MLS listing that shows if/how many dogs allowed.
New buzzword?

Sun City started using that in 1960.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:35 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:

It must be where you live. All of the local realtors around here advertise condos that are for sale in "Communities."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate