Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 09:01 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You and your pets shoukd be out of the house during the inspection unless the buyer requests your presence.
Don't ya just hate it when people should all over you? Most good folks do.

Realtors have earned their reputation so it is always buyer/seller protect yourself when encountering them so inspections are necessary. If someone is uncomfortable in your home then it is their problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 09:08 PM

179 posts, read 268,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
I would have no intention of following or even being actually inside the house- I could hang/ work whatever outside. There is nothing that is that flimsy that could break & I have nothing to hide providing the inspector is just looking but if he starts pulling on wires in my furnace or something and screws it up- I will not be happy & feel they should pay for repairs if they cause damage.
I don't know how the inspector busted the bathtub faucet but he did. Then left it running which we found later. Any time now I would be around when inspection was done.

The first one also could not have lied had I been there to correct him. Too many middle men in our two realty bungles.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:19 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
And how about the BUYER not allowed to attend and asked to come only for "last 15 minutes to go over any items....you'll get the report".

How do inspectors feel about buyers attending?
You would need to ask "inspectors" how they feel as each handles this differently.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:21 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Which explains why you've had such trouble selling this house. No freaking way am I going to use my knees everytime i need to open a door,
Aww come on now that's a specially designed home to help with joint therapy needs.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:29 PM

179 posts, read 268,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I sold a few homes for sale by owner and had to be their for access...

Each time it was helpful that I was there.

Once... the inspector started writing volumes on the appliances... thing is the contract excluded the appliances so why inspect?

Another time the inspector could not find the sub-panel in a very old home... he thanked me for pointing it out.

I also always have my document folder with receipts for roof, windows, HVAC, etc...

As a buyer... I like having the seller there... it is often eye opening for the seller to learn his perfect house has issues...
We had that as well. It was known that the new dishwasher was ordered and the countertops ordered and set to be installed. The inspector was going to run the dishwasher which smelled burned when we attempted once. He might have started a fire. Also he wrote that he wasn't able to properly inspect the countertop because the owners private stuff was on it. A placemat.

Who knows what all he would have done had someone not been there.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:07 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,287 times
I haven't read all of this but If I was selling and an inspector is going to inspect my house, I'm going to be there, end of story.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:12 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,445 times
This is what your Realtor is there for... No, sellers should not be at the inspection.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:28 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,741,766 times
So far I am undecided whether to be here or not- as I understand as a buyer you would want to look around freely at "your new home" & having the owner may make that uncomfortable or constrained. As an owner- you are still responsible for the property and do not want to have extra repair costs due to someone's carelessness inspecting or even damage to your personal possessions.

I've met the inspector as he had to put in a monitoring device the other day- seems like a nice guy although I was concerned when he turned the basement light switch on and because he didn't see the lights go on immediately, assumed that it didn't work when in reality there are energy efficient lights and they take a minute to warm up. Prime example good thing I was here. I'm sure these guys see the good, the bad & the ugly in homes and probably looking for faults. I know everything works in the house and nothing leaks so I just want it to be that way when I return. I just think in the whole house buying/selling process there is such a huge amount of blind trust required on both sides.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:45 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
I haven't read all of this but If I was selling and an inspector is going to inspect my house, I'm going to be there, end of story.
That is OK, when it truly IS "end of story."
But, when the homeowners decide to interfere, to the inspection on their own terms, it comes closer to denying the buyers a contractually obligated access.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:02 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
No house is perfect. It's like refusing to get married to anything less than a Ken or Barbie doll (or wanting monetary compensation for each human flaw). If you love a person -- or a house -- you put up with the little quirks which every person -- and house -- has. Major issues, yes... Nitpicking, no...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate