Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 04:40 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,063,786 times

Advertisements

Nope not just earnest money but inspections , bug guy , appraisal and anything else I can get if nothing else just to teach her a lesson .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 07:01 AM

15,790 posts, read 20,447,555 times
What are you legally obligated to if a seller backs out?

If a buyer backs out due to cold feet, the seller is entitled to earnest money.

If a seller backs out, what is the buyer entitled to? I would think this is a more serious situation as a buyer could be getting out of a lease, paid money to break lease, and was scheduled to move out. A seller backing out at last second could have a buyer homeless with nowhere to put their stuff.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
What are you legally obligated to if a seller backs out?

If a buyer backs out due to cold feet, the seller is entitled to earnest money.

If a seller backs out, what is the buyer entitled to? I would think this is a more serious situation as a buyer could be getting out of a lease, paid money to break lease, and was scheduled to move out. A seller backing out at last second could have a buyer homeless with nowhere to put their stuff.

Yes exactly . and we had given our Landlord notice but she just talked to us and we are fine .however I'm still not letting anyone off the hook over this change of mind

Last edited by phonelady61; 09-28-2015 at 08:21 AM.. Reason: spelling .

Old 09-28-2015, 08:37 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,819,289 times
While a seller "can" refuse to complete the closing at the last minute, they put themselves in the path of almost 'slam-dunk litigation' by doing so. The buyer should readily be able to recoup a wide range of 'jilted buyer' expenses (ie; lease termination, moving expenses, inspection fees, legal costs, inconvenience, etc).

Old 09-28-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
While a seller "can" refuse to complete the closing at the last minute, they put themselves in the path of almost 'slam-dunk litigation' by doing so. The buyer should readily be able to recoup a wide range of 'jilted buyer' expenses (ie; lease termination, moving expenses, inspection fees, legal costs, inconvenience, etc).

Yes indeed and that is what I'm going for if she has not sent my agent a check by the end of this week . Her agent has told her that I do intend to sue .

Old 09-28-2015, 03:02 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,074,921 times
It is my understanding that you can sue to recover the lost expenses, plus the listing agent can demand the commission in full since she (and the buyer agent) fulfilled the contract.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
It is my understanding that you can sue to recover the lost expenses, plus the listing agent can demand the commission in full since she (and the buyer agent) fulfilled the contract.
Her firm wont let her do that so Im working on something for her .

Old 09-28-2015, 04:16 PM

also worried that she (the seller ) will play that "I'm a single mother and I have health issues " . well funny she did not have health issues a week prior when I saw her out partying with her friends in a bar which she posted on fb and now she has taken her fb page down ....wish I had copied the pictures now .

Old 09-28-2015, 10:26 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,609,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
also worried that she (the seller ) will play that "I'm a single mother and I have health issues " . well funny she did not have health issues a week prior when I saw her out partying with her friends in a bar which she posted on fb and now she has taken her fb page down ....wish I had copied the pictures now .
Do you know her friends names? Maybe the pic is somewhere else.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,117,721 times
We had a hairy closing many years ago. It was suddenly discovered that the seller had not had the well inspected. Our agent at the other end of the deal managed to rescue the sale, by contacting the seller's broker and twisting his arm to figure out a compromise. The upshot was that we money to ensure that we could fix the well if it did not pass inspection. I believe this was not actually legal, but we did get moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate