Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy it?
Yes, I would buy it 238 92.25%
No, I won't 11 4.26%
Yes, only if I get a discount 9 3.49%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2015, 06:50 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,296,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Often the show "A Haunting" is a story about demonic activity in a house. A lot worse than just having a ghost.
Ghost, demons; they're all the same to me. Not cool, Lol

Yeah, im silly
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 08:08 AM

297 posts, read 572,161 times
We did, although we didn't realize it at the time.

We bought an estate sale home five months ago. It never occurred to me to even think about whether the owner had died in the home because it was vacant, freshly painted, new carpeting and hardwood floors, new fixtures, all the door hardware had been replaced, the drapes and/or blinds had been removed – it had a new house smell and feel.

About a week after we moved in, in the middle of the night, my cat's howling woke me up. This isn't normal behavior for him, but I just chalked it up to being in an unfamiliar house, so I went back to sleep.

The next morning, a light bulb went on in my head, and I googled the former owner's obituary. It stated that former owner, age 82, had died in [name of this town] one year prior almost to the day. There are no hospitals in this town, and although I haven't had the guts to come out and ask my new next-door neighbor the details of when the former owner died, from the conversations I've had with her (she's talked about what she did to help him when he was in ill health prior to his death), I know that he never moved to the only assisted-living facility in this town.

Other than that, there have been no other incidents. The cat has remained quiet every night since then, so if the house is haunted, the cat and the ghost are now friends.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:12 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,114,871 times
The first house my husband and I bought together was an estate sale. I was told the owner passed away in one of the bedrooms. At first I was spooked but I decided it was a good buy for us. At closing they gave us over 10 copies of the house key. The woman had several children, grandchildren and great children. She had an open door policy for her family. Then after we moved in, the neighbors came over and gave us copies of their keys (We had actually changed out all the locks already). This woman was loved by many. The neighbors went on about what a lovely person she was. She was also the president of a gardening club in our town. I could grow anything in that yard and I am not much of a gardener. I'm not a spiritual person by any means but the home had a really good vibe and we enjoyed living there.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:56 AM

181 posts, read 492,845 times
Would you buy a house if 93 year old original owner died in her sleep at home?

Sure I would. If no one ever bought a home or condo that someone died in, there'd be an awful lot of empty houses around. I'd rather not know if someone was horribly murdered in there, though.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:44 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,308,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
Yes because it's 2015 and I don't believe in ****ing ghosts. I'd buy any house regardless of who died or how they died (contagious diseases aside).
A time-limit on believing in ghosts??? Not saying I believe, but if someone else does, that's their perogative. The world and the universe are complex, and I doubt Man knows all the answers pertaining to life, death and anything supernatural. Just staying that in the interest of fairness.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:47 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,308,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What a stupid notion. Death is a part of life. Get over it.
That's not very nice. Manners count online, too.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:16 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,431,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
I met a listing realtor at an open house and she told me about a house that fits my requirements will be listed in two weeks. She also told me that the 93 year old original owner of the house died inside the house in her sleep. I love this house plan and it is in a nice location. I would prefer not to know about this. Since it was a natural death, did she have to tell me this? Would it prevents you from buying this house?

Only one house near me had trouble selling due to a death was like 25 years ago . Someone in the middle of the night came in and shot the homeowner, wife and three kids in the head in their sleep. No clue why, nice family, no witness, no clues unsolved.

Around ten years ago a hit man for mafia under immunity was testifying and went oh by the way once I got a wrong address on a hit and killed the whole family.

But the house sold and after a few years no discount. Hey look at the AmityVille horror house.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:27 PM

10,041 posts, read 7,196,393 times
My dad died in his house. Where are you supposed to die? Unless you have a catastrophic health problem or accident & die in a hospital, the doctors put you on hospice home care when you're terminal so it doesn't cost a million dollars.

I would be a little more concerned if it was a murder house.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:01 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,575,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
I met a listing realtor at an open house and she told me about a house that fits my requirements will be listed in two weeks. She also told me that the 93 year old original owner of the house died inside the house in her sleep. I love this house plan and it is in a nice location. I would prefer not to know about this. Since it was a natural death, did she have to tell me this? Would it prevents you from buying this house?
I don't think I would care for the most part. However, I might get a little spooked when I'm watching certain horror movies that feature creepy old ladies.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:44 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,702,539 times
Done it twice. No ghost in my homes. Also it rules out being too scare about things like asbestos exposure in older buildings. If the previous people living there died at such a late age you are likely not going to be harmed by stuff like the use of asbestos on the properly if left unexposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate