Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy it?
Yes, I would buy it 238 92.25%
No, I won't 11 4.26%
Yes, only if I get a discount 9 3.49%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 03:48 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times

Advertisements

I have lived in and stayed in some houses that were over 200 years old. Some that were over 300 years old. I can only assume that people have died in them. Many people especially seeing as how many folks gave birth and died at home instead of hospitals in earlier times.

So no, it wouldn't bother me. Stories of a particularly gruesome death might make me think, but certainly not a nonagenarian dying of natural causes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 04:41 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
...but I wouldn't sleep in her bed!

Old 10-04-2015, 04:59 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,445 times
I am pretty certain that the previous (and original) owner of my house died in the house. I didn't know that at the time; until his daughter stopped by one day and told me... At first, it really did creep me out. My mom has this crazy thing with ghosts and told me to open the bedroom window and tell him to move on. So I decided this is a good situation to be proactive. Yes, like a lunatic, I opened the bedroom windows, thanked him for the house, asked him to leave!! We've had no ghost issues to speak of

Old 10-04-2015, 05:22 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
My house is 96 years old. The odds that someone died in the house are fairly good. Factoring in the fact that hospitals were places of last resort, and that many woman gave birth at home previous to WWII - I would not be shocked.

Since I love prefer older homes over new - it's something that I have to deal with.

A natural death such as the one that the OP spoke of would not upset me.
People are born and then they die. It's part of life.

However, certain things would deter me from purchasing a house -

1. If the house was the site of a murder - "In Cold Blood" house "The Amityville Horror House" (site of a family massacre - before it was "haunted") - I'd pass.

2. The site of a suicide

3. A place where horrible abuse took place. The house in Cleveland where those girls were help hostage. A house where the basement was used as a torture chamber etc.

4. a place that is reputed to be haunted. - The main reason for the last is the fact that property values are negatively affected when a house is known as "haunted".

The other stuff is just too depressing and morbid. I don't care how inexpensive it is - it's negative. There are plenty of homes to buy with out resorting to a house where violence and murder have occurred.

In my home state there is a "stigmatized property law" that mandates that potential buyers are informed when any of these events have happened.

There is actually a service that will tell buyers if anyone has ever died in any way in their home.

http://www.diedinhouse.com/

Old 10-04-2015, 05:50 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,198 times
I can't even imagine the person who would be concerned by this? How do you get through life?

Old 10-04-2015, 06:24 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojow View Post
I am not one of those people that gets people getting wigged out over people dying in a house. This wouldn't even be on my radar. I was by my mema's side when she died in her bedroom. Since then, I've slept in that room many times. Heck, I've slept in the bed where she died.

Buy the house if you like it. If it makes you feel better, have it smudged, blessed or sprinkled with fairy dust - whatever works for you.
Totally agree. We did buy a home where two elderly sisters lived. When the younger of the two (97 years old) passed away the elder sister must have been so lonely she passed away a short month later.

Yes, the home had not been updated or perfectly maintained but we got it for a great price and updated it the way we wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
I wouldn't bwcause death weirds me out, real death anyway I'm okay with fake death. Not that I believe in ghosts or anything, who knows how true any of that stuff is, l just would be weirded out sleeping in the same room someone died in.
Not for nothing but what is fake death?

Old 10-04-2015, 06:28 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I might even look at this ladies long life and good death as a good omen, a blessing, on this home.

And I object to laws that require disclosure of deaths in the home. Even when its suicide.
I agree with your first statement, but not the second. We should all be so fortunate to die in our 90's in our own home in our sleep.

But I support laws that require disclosure of deaths (and more), regardless of the reason. I think people have the right to know and then make the decision that is best for them.

As you can see by the poll results so far, the overwhelming majority of people have no problem buying the house, myself included.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:29 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
I met a listing realtor at an open house and she told me about a house that fits my requirements will be listed in two weeks. She also told me that the 93 year old original owner of the house died inside the house in her sleep. I love this house plan and it is in a nice location. I would prefer not to know about this. Since it was a natural death, did she have to tell me this? Would it prevents you from buying this house?
Certainly not. Why on earth would you care?

Old 10-04-2015, 06:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
My grandfather died at home, Grandmother lived there for another 45 yrs. My father dies at home, my mother and sister lived there for another 12 yrs. WHat's the big deal? You're not buying her bed are you?

Old 10-04-2015, 07:08 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,741,766 times
Absolutely....& hopefully her spirit would remain in the house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate