U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 02:09 AM

1,416 posts, read 906,605 times

Advertisements

I'd like to buy some land from a farmer to move my back lot line 50 to 100 feet back, maybe 1/3 acre.
I just learned 50 acres are for sale. My house is close to the rear of my lot. This would give me space for a alternate septic field if the other one fails and provide some space between me and any future development.
Where do I start? Surveyer?, Owner/neighbor?, Listing Realtor?, County offices?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 02:36 AM

11,282 posts, read 46,201,163 times
If those "50 acres are for sale", then there's a listing agency, right?

Contact them. Perhaps the seller is willing to partition off a smaller parcel.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:52 AM

7,585 posts, read 9,572,258 times
It will depend on how quickly the neighbor wants to sell his 50 acres. While you are "changing the lot line" he cannot offer the property for sale. The process of changing the lot line usually goes pretty quickly through the county, but you will need to have a new survey done plus apply to the county for the change. And have the new deeds recorded. So I would go directly to the owner and skip all the middle men, and do it right away. Plan to offer a lot more than the 1/3 acre is worth on a per acre basis, otherwise it will not be seen as beneficial to the neighbor-owner.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:59 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,020,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
It will depend on how quickly the neighbor wants to sell his 50 acres. While you are "changing the lot line" he cannot offer the property for sale. The process of changing the lot line usually goes pretty quickly through the county, but you will need to have a new survey done plus apply to the county for the change. And have the new deeds recorded. So I would go directly to the owner and skip all the middle men, and do it right away. Plan to offer a lot more than the 1/3 acre is worth on a per acre basis, otherwise it will not be seen as beneficial to the neighbor-owner.
^^ Very good advice!! You should offer to buy at least an acre, even though you only need a third of an acre to make it worthwhile for the owner.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:04 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,230,744 times
Just buy all 50 acres .

Old 10-04-2015, 06:44 PM

7,442 posts, read 9,186,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Agreed--except he can still offer the property for sale during the process. It's a hassle to split off a small parcel but he might be willing to do so if you offer him enough or if you're on very good terms. Then check on the division process and line up a surveyor.

Many buyers, however, would prefer to buy 50 acres as opposed to 49.66 acres...so he has that factor to consider in any decision to sell you a small parcel. To the owner, selling such a small parcel is probably more hassle than it's worth.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:20 PM

1,416 posts, read 906,605 times
Another listing has popped up for some additional acreage. Either one might include the land behind me or one might be part of the other. It doesn't change anything for my purpose.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:45 AM

948 posts, read 2,483,395 times
There will most likely be survey and re-plat costs involved and possibly re-zoning issues. In some areas ag land cant simply be peeled off into smaller parcels while in other areas its not an issue. If the parcel being added to yours is large enough to fit local zoning/size guidelines then it could simply be added to yours as a separate lot, in other instances it will have to become singular to your land which can also create lending issues if either property carries a mortgage since the entire legal description will need to be changed which will in turn then conflict with the description on the mortgage/note.

I suspect there will be ways to do it, but the whole picture will have to be reviewed to achieve it, the potential for simple transaction exists, as does the potential for a ton of hoops to jump through - if the seller is willing..

Old 10-06-2015, 11:55 AM

7,585 posts, read 9,572,258 times
eric#1, this is not an issue of a parcel being added as much as it is a change in the lot line. The lot line thing is a lot easier to do (see earlier post). After that is completed the farm owner can either sell his parcel (which would be slightly smaller than it is today) or subdivide it, but the OP will already have acquired the slice he wants.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:05 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,360,975 times
First I'd see if the County would even allow it, then see what it would cost for them to process the addition to your lot. MY neighbor and I had, at one point wanted to buy a vacant parcel located between our homes. For our County, it was going to cost us about $30k for the county to redo their plots, update their computer database for tax purposes and for the lot recording and for the new lot shapes, do the survey, putting in the corner markers, and describing the two properties with the additional 1/2 parcel attached.... And the lot was only going to cost $15000 or so. That made it 'not worth it' to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or