Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:22 AM

41 posts, read 260,730 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone for your advice! I will do my best in this situation.

As far as walking the dogs goes, I really have to because were not allowed to have a fence in our yard and the nearest park is about 20 mins away. I do however always pick up after them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 11:29 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatie Muggs View Post
my dog is a emotional support animal that I couldnt live without.
Isn't that the definition every dog lover has for their pet? Anyone can say their animal is a support animal -- documenting/proving it is another matter.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:39 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
I find it a little odd that an HOA would limit the amount of pets someone can have. I am guessing it is coming about because people are not scooping the poop. That won't go away with just one pet. Either people are responsible pet owners or they aren't.

Most HOA's grandfather things in when a rule changes, but you need to find out about that. Most city ordinances deal with problem pet owners, and maybe if there are some problem pet owners, a better solution would be to impose a stiff fine for not cleaning up your pets mess, rather than limiting the amount of pets.

I mean I am allergic to cats, and my neighbors outdoor cat is in my yard constantly. That issue would not change for me regardless of the HOA restriction. I think finding out the reason for the desired change in the rules and addressing the underlying issue seems a better way to go. Someone is fed up with something, and that needs to be figured out.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Isn't that the definition every dog lover has for their pet? Anyone can say their animal is a support animal -- documenting/proving it is another matter.
Well I figured I would have to explain that and I will gladly explain that to you.
Without going into details my disability has to do with anxiety.

Some people (not saying you) but some people who here the name Emotional Support Animal chuckle at that and think its ridiculous but I will tell you from my experience its very real and very important. Again I do not want to go into details about my disability but unfortunately that is also very real and limits several aspects of my life. Having my dog has been a tremendous help for me to ease many of the problems that someone with severe anxiety and depression has. My dog believe it or not has an amazing ability to see when Im angry or nervous and will sit real close to me, put her paw on me or if she hears me curse actually jumps up at my mouth. It is truly amazing the level of comfort she gives me. She is part of my therapy and it helps more then any pill I was ever prescribed.

As far as proving the connection between my disability and the need for my Emotional Support Pup , you are absolutely correct , it must be proven with documentation that there is a need. I can gladly say that I have been dealing with the condition for several years now and thru doctors and family members and my own detailed description I can go far above and beyond proving how important my dog is to me. And Im glad that there is a need for such proof because there has been cases where people would take advantage of the situation when they really dont need a EMA.

Emotional Support Animals do not even need to be officially trained to perform certain tasks like a Service Animal. They are different and have different rights as well.

I will provide you with a few links about Emotional Support Animals.

Im having trouble postin links at the moment..Hopefully I can post some.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:40 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatie Muggs View Post
Well I figured I would have to explain that and I will gladly explain that to you.
Without going into details my disability has to do with anxiety.
All I was saying is that if you are going to claim to your HOA that you need the dog because it's a support animal, make sure you have something from a doctor that says you need it. Otherwise it's an HOA -- they're just going to tell you that you can't prove it. You can say the pet walks on water for all I care -- I know mine does. (yes, I'm joking!!)

Old 01-30-2008, 03:46 PM

Yeah no problem proving it.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:38 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,149 times
I too think you should go to a meeting and find out what they are talking about. You're stressing out before even knowing if it's true and what the number of pets they are talking about. They may be trying to revise it so that people don't have more than 5 dogs or something. That wouldn't even affect you. So, go and find out what the proposal is. If you don't like it, state your objections so they can think about it and possibly change the proposal. As stated above, they can not do any changes like that without a certain percentage of the homeowners agreeing.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:44 PM

Yeah hopefully all will go well. I just wanted to plan my defense and get some advice in the event I had to. Thanks for all that gave advice.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:55 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
You don't have to worry the new changes are only for the new people moving (as of the date of the accepted changes by the board) in or whenever one of your pets die (I hope that doesn't happen for a long time), you are not allowed to get another one to replace that one. Whenever you are at the amount that is allowed you have to stick to that in order to affoid a fee. With indoors cats that is hard to count and even than someone has to turn you in and the HOA has to fine you. In our HOA community you can have up to 3 pets. Doesn't matter the amount of dog and cats but not more than 3 in total. I know my neighbors have 4 indoor cats and nobody will do anything against it since they won't bother anyone. If you have rabbits, frets or birds, that's all the same, as long as nobody knows or says anything and their kept inside which most people will do in Florida because of the heat.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:57 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
By the way it doesn't matter who the cats or dog belongs to the HOA will count per household/property. But anyway don't worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate