Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:24 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,508,112 times

Advertisements

Thanks, oldtrader and Silverfall. I plan on hiring an inspector at various stages of the building. Is that enough or should I hire an engineer too? I feel a little intimidated in this process because I'm a single woman and the attitude towards women in this town with contractors I've hired for other things is that women shouldn't be in charge and shouldn't make decisions. Been told that straight to my face by contractors, and some wouldn't even accept the job if they couldn't deal with a man. It's also a hotbed for rip-offs. It's a whole other culture here (close to the border) than I'm used to. This is why I'm hiring a builder from a different town. They seem ok with me being a woman but I still feel a bit intimidated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 09:56 PM

26 posts, read 29,431 times
There is no need of Realtor to built a house.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:22 AM

8,076 posts, read 10,035,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themudpuppy View Post
Thanks, oldtrader and Silverfall. I plan on hiring an inspector at various stages of the building. Is that enough or should I hire an engineer too? I feel a little intimidated in this process because I'm a single woman and the attitude towards women in this town with contractors I've hired for other things is that women shouldn't be in charge and shouldn't make decisions. Been told that straight to my face by contractors, and some wouldn't even accept the job if they couldn't deal with a man. It's also a hotbed for rip-offs. It's a whole other culture here (close to the border) than I'm used to. This is why I'm hiring a builder from a different town. They seem ok with me being a woman but I still feel a bit intimidated.
That is a much smarter strategy than hiring a realtor who likely knows little about houses or the building process (that is NOT their job). Perhaps bringing an architect/engineer in on an hourly basis to inspect the progress and to assist you with decision making along the way is a smart strategy if you feel uncomfortable going it alone (and as a single woman, I can appreciate where you are coming from).

As regards the lender, I would be a little cautious. Builders love lenders who dole out the money without much regard to the progress/quality of the build. Do Not assume that since the lender paid the builder that the work is up to snuff. Some pencil neck from the bank comes out, sees a block wall, and makes the interim payment. That the block wall doesn't conform to the plans is of no relevance to the lender. Your own "inspector" can help to mitigate this sort of behavior, should it occur.

Nothing wrong with a small builder (perhaps even desirable to a bigger outfit that has "layers" of "protection" (lawyers) between you and the work) or a local lender. But, as in any situation, buyer beware. Keep a good eye, and use your inspector wisely, to ensure that you are getting what you paid for. No reason the process has to be onerous as long as everything stays "above board".

And yes, assume that whatever "budget" you start out with, that it will run 10% over the original estimate. Paying the inspector, changing out the tile, adding a better quality roof shingle, hard wood in the living room, and an extra light circuit in the bedroom...it all adds up. But better to do it now, than try to retrofit later.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:08 AM

15,539 posts, read 40,308,808 times
Quote:
I would hire the person most appropriate for the stage of building at that time. An engineer isn't going to be able to inspect the plumbing and electrical work, for example.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:07 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,418,388 times
I work for a custom home builder/real estate office. I will say that there are 3 tiers of people who come to us. Those who have no Realtor at all fall in the middle. Those with an excellent, experienced Realtor who knows the building process are the best. Those who have an agent who is inexperienced in the building process are worse than those with no agent at all.

So don't get an agent just to have one. If you can't get a good one, you are better off not having one at all, as long as the builder is reputable.

It will be harder for you as a woman, if your area is anything like mine. Here, construction is definitely still the "old boys" club. The company I work for is run by my parents, and my mom is much better at the details of building a house than my dad is. She'll go onsite and start telling them where she wants the cabinets to end, and where the sinks should go vs the cabinets in the bathroom, or see that a window is in the wrong place during framing, or whatever. The subs who have worked for us a long time, know this, and listen to her. But whenever we hire someone new, she has to retrain them, because she will tell them what needs to be done, and they ignore her unless my dad tells them the same thing. Eventually, they learn to respect what she tells them, but it is always a process. Contractors seem to be bred/raised to ignore the opinions of women when it comes to homebuilding, even if that woman has been in the business a decade longer than they have.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:55 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,508,112 times
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the helpful advice.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:14 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,784,652 times
Please please please, be careful with selecting an inspectors for different stages of construction. You need to find something with experience preferable working for a builder, so they will know where to look and what exactly to watch for. Most home inspectors who advertise new construction inspections have no clue what they are doing.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:06 AM

8,563 posts, read 12,339,419 times
Quote:
Do I need a Realtor when building?
Only if they're good with a hammer.

Seriously, though, most licensed real estate agents aren't qualified to give you appropriate guidance. They are neither builders or construction managers. There may be some in your area who have significant new build experience, but they will be few and far between.

Your biggest need is to have an experienced real estate attorney review your contract before you sign it. An inspector may also be helpful.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:51 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,622,476 times
No, you don't need one. Agents are trained to assist people in buying and selling and that part has already been completed when you purchased the land. If you plan to sell this house when completed, call an agent for that. Unless they are also a builder, telling you they should be involved in this and that you should pay them is unscrupulous and I can't figure out how it could be legal.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:06 AM

15,539 posts, read 40,308,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Only if they're good with a hammer.
I'm solid with a hammer. Just don't ask me to drywall.

I have a huge respect for those that tape and texturize drywall after trying to do it myself. It is so much harder than you would think it would be to make it look good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate