Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 11:43 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,359,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Some people don't have or like kids, so it would be a detriment in that case.
I get that and can appreciate that; I am just somewhat doubtful of the assertion that a cul de sac automatically turns the street into a miniature theme park or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 01:38 PM

504 posts, read 848,291 times
Too close to noisy street, dogs barking incessantly in the neighborhood are two big ones. Interior stuff doesn't bother me, outside of major structural issues. I prefer to buy old, dated, crappy interior and put in what I want/like, rather than pay a premium for a flipper's or someone else's idea of 'tastefully updated'. Which generally seems to mean 50 shades of beige, not at all my style LOL

I'd feel bad tearing out all of their neutrality

Old 10-16-2015, 03:10 PM

32,509 posts, read 47,521,327 times
Worst? Pig farm next door.

I drove through a gorgeous neighborhood, 2 acre lots, new custom upper middle class houses, excellent location. The area was zoned agricultural and the house right in the middle of the block had divided his lot up with electric fence and had hundreds of pigs. They were well cared for, manure cleaned up, but still, pigs stink and can be noisy, and there were a lot of pigs and mud.

Every other house on the block had a for sale sign on it. I suspect they were for sale cheap, but I didn't bother to find out.

I'm interested in location and views. If the neighborhood is good and the price is right, I can overcome a lot of things that need to be fixed.

Old 10-16-2015, 04:51 PM

6,465 posts, read 4,868,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I get that and can appreciate that; I am just somewhat doubtful of the assertion that a cul de sac automatically turns the street into a miniature theme park or something.
I don't know... the cul de sacs in the neighborhood I grew up in were full of kids and one actually did have a park at the end on one side of the street.... now I housesit in a similar closed in neighborhood and I can list 3 dead ends in there that have kids stuff set up. The house I stay at had a basketball hoop in their area for years (they actually have a grass island bordered by a curb in the middle). The owners car has been hit by a school bus going around it and there were a few times I parked on the street in snow storms as their driveway is incredibly steep and icy and have stayed awake most of the night in fear of getting hit by a plow coming around the corner. That's not (as much as) an issue on a straight road.

I do get that people with kids would enjoy the fact their kids can skate etc right in front of the house without much traffic so it's appealing to them. But it would drive me nuts.

Kids tend to be cyclical in my neighborhood, and the area I grew up in as well. Some years we have tons and then they all disappear for a while.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:33 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,784,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I would have to agree. I have been in my house since the beginning of August. I am at the apex of a cul de sac. There are kids coming home early afternoon and they look to be around 6 to 10. I never see or hear them once they walk out of sight. There are no bicycles. Basketball hoops, skateboard, etc. it is absolutely quiet no playground or theme park problems here. No through traffic and if a new car shows up and stops then it stands out glaringly....so much safer in my opinion.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:26 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,291,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Basketball hoops in the neighborhood.

Not a fan of them.
Curious; why? We specifically looked for hoops when we bought our last house. We wanted evidence of kids living nearby us. Maybe you want the opposite?

Old 10-20-2015, 02:42 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,818,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
Curious; why? We specifically looked for hoops when we bought our last house. We wanted evidence of kids living nearby us. Maybe you want the opposite?
Uhmm, probably the likelihood of hearing kids bouncing the damn basketball and the inevitable shouts at each other for hours on end just about every dry day and well into the evenings every summer. That would irritate me to no end.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:05 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,077,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Uhmm, probably the likelihood of hearing kids bouncing the damn basketball and the inevitable shouts at each other for hours on end just about every dry day and well into the evenings every summer. That would irritate me to no end.
^^^I'm in the anti-hoop camp. There are ordinances in many jurisdictions which restrict them for a reason.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:16 PM

18,823 posts, read 27,261,264 times
We will never consider a property that has power lines anywhere close. Period. No matter how pretty or good deal it is.
We will never consider a property that is lower than someone else's.
we will never consider property that sits on a steep slope or has one in the backyard.
We passed on a very nice property as it had water retention pond in it. Nope.
We generally scope neighborhood ahead of time on say Google maps and generally avoid mobile homes etc areas.
We will never consider a property on street corner or close to a FWY. Or, next to busy arterial.

I think, reasons are pretty common sense obvious.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:18 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,766,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
We will never consider a property that has power lines anywhere close. Period. No matter how pretty or good deal it is.
We will never consider a property that is lower than someone else's.
we will never consider property that sits on a steep slope or has one in the backyard.
We passed on a very nice property as it had water retention pond in it. Nope.
We generally scope neighborhood ahead of time on say Google maps and generally avoid mobile homes etc areas.
We will never consider a property on street corner or close to a FWY. Or, next to busy arterial.

I think, reasons are pretty common sense obvious.
Not really. How do you get electricity to the house if there are no power lines?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate