Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 01:03 AM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times

Advertisements

It's true. The best thing in the world that money gives you is choice. If you have money, you don't have to take the cheapest apartment. You can take your time looking for a good job, and not take the first one that's offered because you need to pay the rent. You don't have to buy the cheapest food, or worry about whether or not to go into the ER, and you can walk if the job you have is run by a psycho boss. When you have money, you don't have to decide between breaking the law to get food to eat or getting glasses for your kid instead of replacing the bald tires on the car. Money doesn't buy everything, but it certainly buys what people need. And that's almost everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 04:40 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
OP, I know the thread is not about advice for your boyfriend's sister, but a landlord who does not have any respect for her will not have respect for her belongings or her credit history, so she should save copies of all paperwork for the rental (especially the move-in condition sheet and the lease), get receipts for rent every month, and make some effort to hide anything valuable that she owns, especially things that are small enough to fit in a pocket.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:05 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
I have never had a landlord scream at me or use profane language. What exactly was the cause of his anger? Seems there must be more to this story.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:13 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Life is like a poop sandwich. The more bread you got, the less poop you got to eat.

Either the landlord is crazy or else he found out the boyfriend had a criminal record that was not revealed on the application. Perhaps both. As they were being evicted, they put up with his nonsense in order to have a place to live. It happens.

Sounds like your sister and her boyfriend may have made some unfortunate choices along the way. Here's hoping they start making choices that work out better for them.

Fingers crossed.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:30 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I own my own house. My boyfriend lives with me. We are quite happy being king and king of our own castle. We decorate the house and do whatever we want with it. He and I have knocked down a couple walls to redo a couple of the rooms in this house. So, that's the background.

His sister and her boyfriend are finally moving out of her parents' apartment. They managed to find an apartment cheap enough for them to be able to afford and still make their car payment.

Earlier today, my boyfriend and I went shopping and bought pots and pans, silverwares, knife set, etc. Then we went to the apartment. When we pulled into the parking lot, the land lord was yelling at the sister and her boyfriend. He was using every profanity imaginable. They hadn't signed the lease yet. At one point, he pointed at us and told them to "get them the f*** out of here". The sister and her boyfriend were just begging the landlord to let them have the place.

As it was happening, we just sat there in our car waiting for them to sign the lease and the landlord to leave. The sister and her boyfriend were clearly scared to death of the land lord.

I remember when I bought my house the real estate agent, the bank rep, the underwriter, and everyone else involved were extremely polite to me and were borderline kissing my behind. After all, me buying the house was profitable for everyone, including me.

The incident with that landlord was a stark reminder (at least to me) that no one wants to be poor. When one is poor, one is at the mercy of others. When I was buying my house, had anyone not treat me politely I would have left and seek out someone else to talk to or another house to buy. I would not have tolerated any such demeanor demonstrated by that landlord.

Was that landlord's demeanor normal for landlords of such places?
When you buy a house it's different, most parties involved are licensed, have to follow some HUD guidelines, and you can go to the board and file a complaint against them, any jerk can be a LL.

Also you didn't explain what the situation was or why he was yelling at them, people don't usually yell for no reason unless they are clinically insane.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:58 AM

908 posts, read 1,660,686 times
Quote:
Haha is that a witch's curse?
No, I'm sure it's just a reminder of facts of life. Which some people aren't aware of.
although it's true Halloween is coming in a few days.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:05 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I have never had a landlord scream at me or use profane language. What exactly was the cause of his anger? Seems there must be more to this story.
It seems there is more to it to me, also. Though a person should not do what he did, I don't know how anyone would react like that over nothing, the boyfriend maybe having gotten into it with the landlord. Something doesn't add up. (Though I have compassion for anyone trying to get ahead).

Old 10-19-2015, 06:15 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
When you buy a house it's different, most parties involved are licensed, have to follow some HUD guidelines, and you can go to the board and file a complaint against them, any jerk can be a LL.

Also you didn't explain what the situation was or why he was yelling at them, people don't usually yell for no reason unless they are clinically insane.
No idea. I didn't ask afterward. We just helped them move in and get situated after they signed the lease. I figured it's something that is better to let them tell us on their own instead of us pressuring them into telling us.

But again, my best guess is the landlord found out about his record and was mad that he didn't disclose it. That said, after some begging, the landlord did let them have the place. I'm also guessing he said to them that he'll kick them out if there's ever any trouble in the future. But that's all just guesswork.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:19 AM

[quote=Slowpoke_TX;41608158]Whose sister she is, is irrelevant. A woman was being abused by a male, and three other males stood by and enabled the abuse by doing nothing.

That kind of thinking enables slumlords like him to keep abusing tenants.

When a male is abusing a woman, you should man up and put a stop to it.

Quote:
What is your address? I will tell them I found a place for them.[/quote
I already have a good tenant, but thanks anyway.
Sexist much?

You're the internet righteous warrior. You offer a place for the couple that got yelled at.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
It's true. The best thing in the world that money gives you is choice. If you have money, you don't have to take the cheapest apartment. You can take your time looking for a good job, and not take the first one that's offered because you need to pay the rent. You don't have to buy the cheapest food, or worry about whether or not to go into the ER, and you can walk if the job you have is run by a psycho boss. When you have money, you don't have to decide between breaking the law to get food to eat or getting glasses for your kid instead of replacing the bald tires on the car. Money doesn't buy everything, but it certainly buys what people need. And that's almost everything.
Tell that to the internet righteous warriors in this thread. Thank you for understanding my point.

I'm not saying money is everything. But at the same time, it sucks not having much of it. To get a place to live, you have to endure getting yelled at. After searching for many months, they finally found a place that they could afford. And the girl's dad is kicking them out, so they have exactly 1 choice. And in order to have that choice, they had to keep their mouths shut and let the LL yell at them. It sucks, but that's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate