U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-24-2015, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FL
5,112 posts, read 7,620,900 times
Reputation: 5984

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
If you saw the roof issue prior to your inspection, your offer should have been based on this knowledge that you might have to do repair to it. You can't go in at a low price because of condition AND ALSO ask for more repairs to be done after the inspection when you already were aware of issues prior to your offer. That's double dipping and not encouraged in negotiations.
I wouldn't say you can't but I believe it is an example of bargaining in bad faith or, put another way, a weasel move. Do buyers do it? Sure they do but the whole point of an As Is With Right To Inspect contract is that you have settled on a price based on what you know and you have the right to back out based on what you discover in the inspection. There is no right or wrong, in my opinion, but there is honorable and less than honorable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2015, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Austin
7,071 posts, read 16,852,908 times
Reputation: 9459
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I wouldn't say you can't but I believe it is an example of bargaining in bad faith or, put another way, a weasel move. Do buyers do it? Sure they do but the whole point of an As Is With Right To Inspect contract is that you have settled on a price based on what you know and you have the right to back out based on what you discover in the inspection. There is no right or wrong, in my opinion, but there is honorable and less than honorable.
Correct, there is no "can't", but I ended my statement with it's "not encouraged". It's truly bad faith to try to double dip the discount when you can clearly see issues before the inspection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2015, 07:35 PM
 
10 posts, read 6,953 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
If you saw the roof issue prior to your inspection, your offer should have been based on this knowledge that you might have to do repair to it. You can't go in at a low price because of condition AND ALSO ask for more repairs to be done after the inspection when you already were aware of issues prior to your offer. That's double dipping and not encouraged in negotiations.
We didn't notice the flashing on the roof until the third visit, after the offer was accepted. during the first two visits it was pouring rain and we were just looking at the overall exterior condition quickly before we got soaked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2015, 09:04 PM
 
Location: MID ATLANTIC
7,580 posts, read 17,575,884 times
Reputation: 8060
You don't say how high the roof is - some inspectors will not tackle a high roof. Mine is 3.5 stories above grade and I had a devil of a time to get contractors out. Roofers, yes, of course. You need someone up there walking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2015, 10:54 PM
 
10 posts, read 6,953 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
You don't say how high the roof is - some inspectors will not tackle a high roof. Mine is 3.5 stories above grade and I had a devil of a time to get contractors out. Roofers, yes, of course. You need someone up there walking it.
It's a single story ranch. roof isn't very tall, but I'm making arrangements for a roofer to meet me there during the inspection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2015, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Sugarmill Woods , FL
6,235 posts, read 5,364,592 times
Reputation: 13586
If you have an agent that is as great as you say, why don't you ask them the way to deal with your situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2015, 09:03 PM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
13,087 posts, read 18,654,321 times
Reputation: 20290
You either want the house or you don't.
And, think win-win and not: I win you lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2015, 11:24 AM
 
10 posts, read 6,953 times
Reputation: 18
So we had our house inspection today, and while the flashing on the roof did come up, it wasn't on the top of the priority list. The roof is about 20 years old, but he said it's in good shape for another few years, and then to replace it with a metal roof. The inside is in good shape, except for the fireplace that needs a new firebox from years of not having a chimney cap.

The fun starts in the crawl space. The house does not have enough support columns, and while there is a newly installed vapor barrier. there wasn't for many years and the main beams are rotting, and the ones that aren't have severe mold growth on them. the one that handles the load from the large stone fireplace are so rotted, the column is going through the center of the wood, and the inspector easily poked a screwdriver into the center of the beam. In addition there are also plumbing issue with venting and pitch of the pipes.

The good news is that the well pump is brand new, electrical is in good shape, the furnace is a high quality brand in great shape, and a $30k septic system was installed last year.

This is a serious derailment, we both like the property very much, but can't/won't pay for the $10k (ballpark) worth of structural repairs needed to make the house safe. We are meeting with our realtor later today to discuss the findings, and see what she has to say. It's really annoying because none of these issues were listed on the disclosure form, and they obviously knew about them because they tried to vcover up some mold and rot with plastic sheeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2015, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Michigan
1,772 posts, read 1,133,938 times
Reputation: 3884
Quote:
Originally Posted by mllc413 View Post
So we had our house inspection today, and while the flashing on the roof did come up, it wasn't on the top of the priority list. The roof is about 20 years old, but he said it's in good shape for another few years, and then to replace it with a metal roof. The inside is in good shape, except for the fireplace that needs a new firebox from years of not having a chimney cap.

The fun starts in the crawl space. The house does not have enough support columns, and while there is a newly installed vapor barrier. there wasn't for many years and the main beams are rotting, and the ones that aren't have severe mold growth on them. the one that handles the load from the large stone fireplace are so rotted, the column is going through the center of the wood, and the inspector easily poked a screwdriver into the center of the beam. In addition there are also plumbing issue with venting and pitch of the pipes.

The good news is that the well pump is brand new, electrical is in good shape, the furnace is a high quality brand in great shape, and a $30k septic system was installed last year.

This is a serious derailment, we both like the property very much, but can't/won't pay for the $10k (ballpark) worth of structural repairs needed to make the house safe. We are meeting with our realtor later today to discuss the findings, and see what she has to say. It's really annoying because none of these issues were listed on the disclosure form, and they obviously knew about them because they tried to vcover up some mold and rot with plastic sheeting.

WALK AWAY, quickly.

You will make a serious mistake in buying this house, and I can pretty much guarantee you will regret it afterwards, when you find all the REST of the problems, and don't have enough money to fix them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2015, 10:45 PM
 
10 posts, read 6,953 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
WALK AWAY, quickly.

You will make a serious mistake in buying this house, and I can pretty much guarantee you will regret it afterwards, when you find all the REST of the problems, and don't have enough money to fix them.
This was my first reaction, however our realtor suggested we wait a couple days before writing this place off. Her reasoning, is we were the first serious offer this place has had in over a year, mostly because of location (dirt road, satellite internet only, etc..) now that we have an inspection listing the major problems, they have to disclose it, and can't say they didn't know, which really only gives them 2 choices. first is to reduce the price of the house to reflect the major work needed and risk another year with no offers. or fix the house to bring it into good condition and sell it for the same asking price they have now as even with a fully repaired foundation, roof, plumbing, and sub floors, the market doesn't allow for too much higher of a price on that property.


So I'm going to wait a few days to see what she comes up with. but I told her I'm already out the money for the inspection (this guy was hella expensive), I don't want to sink too much more into a bad situation. The only way I'd consider going forward was if they had the structural and plumbing issues fixed by a licensed contractor, and subject to another inspection after said repairs were complete. Otherwise there are plenty of other houses that were on our hit list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:14 PM.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top