Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:37 AM

773 posts, read 786,249 times

Advertisements

This is a "What would you do?" question:

You have a contract to purchase a home. During the title search it comes to light the seller is missing a trust document needed to satisfy the title insurance company.

The contract states the buyer must give the seller 30 days to cure the defect. That period expires soon and it looks like the seller will need more time. A previous court case ruled the property belongs to the seller but the title company still wants to see the trust. Everyone involved say it's just a matter of time.

The property fits our wants and needs and is within our budget. We have found nothing else on the market even close to this. The seller has offered an additional $15K reduction.

The seller's attorney says it could take another 5 months. The attorney for the title company thinks there's a possibility one of the other heirs he has already contacted might come up with the trust and a court action may not be needed.

When the 30 days are up, would you ask for your earnest money back ($10K) and tell the seller to call when the title defect is cured and keep looking, or would you extend the cure period another 30 days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 12:01 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
$10K earnest money? What is the price of the property?

Old 10-26-2015, 12:34 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
Is this the property that you were talking about here:
Owner Can't Find Docs To Clear Title

I thought in that thread you said that none of the other heirs had a copy of the trust. If you are interested in it I think you just have to 'ride it out'. Maybe you could rent it from the current owner while the process is going on (maybe with a rent to apply to purchase?)

I would be concerned that this is the middle of a family squable and it could go on for a while if someone contests the resolution of the issue.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:35 PM

649 posts, read 816,375 times
This is confusing. If there was a court case that decided ownership another court case will not fix this issue. If title company A won't insure over this without a copy of papers that a court has already ruled on (also they should be on file as part of the records of the court case, iirc) you may be able to find a private attorney that will close over it with his E&O. See if there are any private RE attys "approved" by your lender.

It is debatable whether this is an issue with your title company being unreasonable or with the seller actually needing something he doesn't have. If it is your title company being unreasonable you have no reason to expect that they will ever close on this property. If you wait five months and finally get the papers what if they find a problem with the papers and insist on some dead guy's estranged wife's signature or something? Getting them the papers just gives them more things to find problems with.

Does the seller's attorney act like your title company is crazy?

Take the $15k reduction, give them another 30 with some kind of hold harmless for you that says should you find another property you can bail on this and get your earnest $ back. It should be no big deal for the seller who has now been convinced he can't sell his house without this thing, he will do whatever you want.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Is this the property that you were talking about here:
Owner Can't Find Docs To Clear Title

I thought in that thread you said that none of the other heirs had a copy of the trust. If you are interested in it I think you just have to 'ride it out'. Maybe you could rent it from the current owner while the process is going on (maybe with a rent to apply to purchase?)

I would be concerned that this is the middle of a family squable and it could go on for a while if someone contests the resolution of the issue.
Yes, same property. But none of the heirs, the decedent's children, responded to attempts to communicate. Now, one has. She only said she would look for it. This was late last week.

Only one child, the only son, contested the will and the court ruled the present owner was the sole owner. I got the impression he was the only one who had a problem with the will and/or trust.

SalamanderSmile, I understand your confusion. I don't get it either. We have a friend who is a probate judge in CT and she said the court ruling should be sufficient. But the title company says no trust, no title policy. And no title policy means no loan.

Three different attorneys have all said either the trust must be produced or the court needs to rule in the absence of the trust. I've run this thing through the ringer so many times I have just come to accept it.

So now we're looking at rolling the dice or jumping back into the house hunt game again. We've been looking outside the area and even the state but can't find anything we like as much as this house. But if we agree to an extension and something does pop up, we'll be locked into the extension. Houses here in our price range are getting scooped up pretty quickly.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:23 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
Personally, I would get my money back and move on. Tell your agent to let you know if the property comes back on the market (s/he can set up a search in the MLS so she receives a notice as soon as it becomes Active again) just in case you are still looking at that time. Alternatively, you might have your attorney write up an addendum that allows you to stay under contract but back out with a complete refund (with notice) should you find something else in the meantime.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:29 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
OP:

I'm a little confused......

Was the seller identified by a court of law as the SOLE TRUSTEE of the property you are trying to buy or ?????

Old 10-26-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
OP:

I'm a little confused......

Was the seller identified by a court of law as the SOLE TRUSTEE of the property you are trying to buy or ?????
The Trustee was the son who contested the will. At the end of that case, the court ruled the seller, who is and was the occupant all along, is the sole owner of the property. There have been no other attempts to claim the property, to the best of my knowledge.

If there was anything even close, we'd probably move on. One part of me says we get our money back so we are free to do what we want. The other side is asking, "So where do you go then?" And I don't have any idea how to answer that. We've even toyed with the idea of buying a sailboat and cruising off into the sunset. But then you are dumping your life savings into something that depreciates rapidly.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:22 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
OP:

Let's back up.

Someone died. Who was it?

Was the deceased the sole owner of the house?

How was the house titled at the time of death?

How did the current seller acquire the house?

Old 10-26-2015, 04:12 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
I would get my earnest money back. At this point I'd be concerned about how the trust actually reads and that there is something suspicious going on with the supposed home owner and her relatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate