U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 06:18 PM

13,029 posts, read 17,487,827 times

Advertisements

my sister went to an open house where there was wine , cheese , cookies , fruit on a stick . it was awesome of course my sister was looking at million dollar homes outside Atlanta . It was awesome but I think if the dog was there and the owner yep pick up and cancel and show it another day .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 07:23 PM

520 posts, read 327,157 times
What percentage of homes are actually VACANT when selling?

Old 10-26-2015, 08:59 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,013,295 times
Lol, no that's not normal! Wow... I would say the most annoying thing is the realtor calling you 3 times. Just tell him/her that you're not interested and please not call back.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:35 AM

124 posts, read 98,580 times
I found a rare pay phone and wrote down the telephone number and will use that number from now on.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:47 AM

914 posts, read 691,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I did go to an open house where the agent was offering lasagna, salad and wine.

Oddest thing I ever saw.

P.s. I bought that house even though I didn't eat.
I went to an open house where the agent had a high school band playing loud jazz music in the family room (the most annoying "music" ever) and she set up a literal banquet of food like hot dogs, various salads, and corn. I thought it was incredibly odd. I can understand some fresh baked cookies (and they make the house smell nice), but that was going overboard. My husband asked her, "why the band?" She said it was her idea and it was "cool jazz and a picnic." We had to get out of there as high school jazz musicians do not make pleasant music to our ears.

Of course if the homeowner is there making food for themselves, that's just incredibly odd and obviously the homeowner and the realtor have no clue how to sell a house. I would never leave a pet out in the open either at an open house. Take the pet out of there, or for a ride.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:06 AM

230 posts, read 248,789 times
One of the reasons that agents hold open houses is to get contact information from prospective buyers. It's also the reason so many of those "buyers" leave phony names and addresses.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:08 AM

10,218 posts, read 6,360,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Discussion View Post
I went to a number of open houses on Sunday. Usually there is a very professional talkative real estate agent there to help answer any questions who wants our business. This time we had a number of interesting situations, including:

1) The owner of the house was there cooking lunch and what ever she was cooking smelled terrible!

2) There was a big dog that jumped on my SO! And barked non stop!

3) A real estate agent brought his kid and he was crying non stop.

4) I gave my phone number to one real estate agent and he has already called three times and left messages.

Is this type of thing common when you go to open houses?
You ran into people without common sense people don't know that most likely their food we smelly and offensive to others people with common sense would make other plans or just fix a sandwich or go out and get some fast food also the dog should not have been there jumping on people I went to look at one house there was a dog in a cage barking so much that I couldn't hear with the owner was saying about her property the real estate agent should also have common sense and not brought their kid they should find a babysitter or someone to watch the Kid people either don't care or don't realize how ridiculous they are

Old 10-27-2015, 06:12 AM

32,868 posts, read 12,258,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
I went to an open house where the agent had a high school band playing loud jazz music in the family room (the most annoying "music" ever) and she set up a literal banquet of food like hot dogs, various salads, and corn. I thought it was incredibly odd.
High school band in a family room and hot dogs?

What does this have to do with helping potential buyers realize that this is where they could live?

Old 10-27-2015, 06:18 AM

31,375 posts, read 54,946,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
High school band in a family room and hot dogs?

What does this have to do with helping potential buyers realize that this is where they could live?
Different People react differently to different stuff.
It seems excessive to me, but some agents have success getting clients with just all sorts of stuff that is well outside tangential to real estate practice.
If the agent picked up a couple of buyers who thought this was cooool, then the event was a success.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:52 AM

8,621 posts, read 8,739,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogCross View Post
One of the reasons that agents hold open houses is to get contact information from prospective buyers. It's also the reason so many of those "buyers" leave phony names and addresses.

I make sure I sign in very messy so that my email and phone number are tough to make out. My feeling is id i'm interested in the house, i'll have my agent contact you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or