Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:42 PM

914 posts, read 1,137,910 times

Advertisements

I went to another open house where the realtor encouraged me to open the closets and peak inside. I did so, and a bunch of clothes that were shoved in there to hide, all fell out on my head.

I was at another open house with a realtor there and another realtor friend of his, but he had his baby girl there too. She was pretty cute, so I enjoyed the baby more than the house actually, LOL! I joked that she was the prettiest realtor I ever met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 05:18 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Discussion View Post
I went to a number of open houses on Sunday. Usually there is a very professional talkative real estate agent there to help answer any questions who wants our business. This time we had a number of interesting situations, including:

1) The owner of the house was there cooking lunch and what ever she was cooking smelled terrible!

2) There was a big dog that jumped on my SO! And barked non stop!

3) A real estate agent brought his kid and he was crying non stop.

4) I gave my phone number to one real estate agent and he has already called three times and left messages.

Is this type of thing common when you go to open houses?
OMG! LOL

Clearly they're not trying to "sell" that house!

Next....

Old 10-28-2015, 06:48 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Many open houses around here have cookies or so some small food item. Sometimes a drink, too.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:50 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Also if you do hire a agent to sell your house make sure you tell them upfront there will be no Open Houses either because I would save a lot of time & money not promoting your house.
Are you saying if a seller requested no open houses, you would not make a real effort to sell their home otherwise? If that's the case, make sure you tell them up front so they don't waste their time.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:51 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
Nothing surprises me in this business but yes, absolutely ridiculous and unprofessional.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:48 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Are you saying if a seller requested no open houses, you would not make a real effort to sell their home otherwise? If that's the case, make sure you tell them up front so they don't waste their time.
Our real estate agent encouraged us not to have open houses. She said it was usually just neighbors who wanted to take a peak and and those looking for decorating tips. She said serious buyers made appointments to preview.

She said with the internet, people do their own preview without the necessity of open houses. She said real estate agents don't even do tours any more. They can see what they need to see online.

According to her, the only reason to have an open house is for the real estate agent to catch buyers early in their search, when they are still just thinking about. Every once in a while, a buyer will result from an open house, but not often.

However, she did say that open houses worked in a hot market. People saw others looking, realized they better hurry and make an offer.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:50 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post

Also if you do hire a agent to sell your house make sure you tell them upfront there will be no Open Houses either because I would save a lot of time & money not promoting your house.
Are agents offended if the buyer does not want an open house? I can't imagine sellers in upper bracket even allowing it.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:50 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
25+ Years ago, when I was buying my very first house, I went to an open house for a place that met my requirements exactly. I was truly excited about this particular house.

Upon arrival, my first glimpse is a Wilford Brimley look-alike laying in the Barco lounger in front of the TV. Okay, I liked the movieCocoon, so I'm not too wound up about that. I tour the downstairs and I'm really liking this house. Upstairs, I'm loving the large guestrooms, fresh paint, etc. The master is perfect, and had advertised a big walk in closet. But there's a 3X5 index card taped to those closet doors that reads "Do not ooen" and a few strips of scotch tape across the door.

Of course, I opened the door. My penance for that sin is the permanently etched memory of Wilford-size black leather S&M outfits. Several of them.

I would have no problem buying a house where soneone died or committed suicide. Generally, I doubt I wouid have a problem buying a house where a murder occurred. But Wilford's house of S&M was just too damn much bad karma.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:52 AM

I love the idea of cookies and hot cider. Maybe a glass of wine. Anything more seems over the top.

i saw a NYC real estate show in which they invited the whole neighborhood to the open house. They had food, booze, music-- it was a cocktail party. The idea was that many of these people had friends who might be interested in living in the neighborhood and that buyers who did come would get a feel for the neighbors.

Can't recall if it resulted in an offer.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
25+ Years ago, when I was buying my very first house, I went to an open house for a place that met my requirements exactly. I was truly excited about this particular house.

Upon arrival, my first glimpse is a Wilford Brimley look-alike laying in the Barco lounger in front of the TV. Okay, I liked the movieCocoon, so I'm not too wound up about that. I tour the downstairs and I'm really liking this house. Upstairs, I'm loving the large guestrooms, fresh paint, etc. The master is perfect, and had advertised a big walk in closet. But there's a 3X5 index card taped to those closet doors that reads "Do not ooen" and a few strips of scotch tape across the door.

Of course, I opened the door. My penance for that sin is the permanently etched memory of Wilford-size black leather S&M outfits. Several of them.

I would have no problem buying a house where soneone died or committed suicide. Generally, I doubt I wouid have a problem buying a house where a murder occurred. But Wilford's house of S&M was just too damn much bad karma.
You were right to walk away. That image would have greeted you every time you opened those closet doors.

Too funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate