U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 02:36 PM

494 posts, read 334,348 times

Advertisements

MYOB. Almost all the options for selling quickly are bad, either financial or personal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 02:40 PM

16,724 posts, read 13,690,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
MYOB. Almost all the options for selling quickly are bad, either financial or personal.
Exactly. I would be mortified if the seller of our home came snooping around to find out why I am now selling "their" old house.

I lost my job...my husband died and I can't afford it by myself...

Mind your own dang business.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:54 PM

15,755 posts, read 23,998,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I wouldn't contact the new owner. However, I probably would contact one of my ex-neighbors and see what they know about it. (sorry, but like the OP, I'd be curious.)
Ha ha, me too! I'm very nosy.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:01 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,340,139 times
Quote:
I wouldn't contact the new owner. However, I probably would contact one of my ex-neighbors and see what they know about it. (sorry, but like the OP, I'd be curious.)
I be incredibly curious too. If I knew some neighbors, I might ask casually. I wouldn't contact the actual buyer of your home because that might be opening a can of worms if it's something "bad" with the house. Not saying it is, but I would not subject myself to that just in case.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:53 PM

13,193 posts, read 7,413,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
Agree on both points. Buyers who buy, then sell very quickly usually do so because of they're going through big personal problems. As for OP's dilemma, ignorance is bliss in some cases, and this is one of them.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:56 PM

8,386 posts, read 7,379,700 times
It is none of the OPs business why the seller is selling their home.

I bought and sold a lot of homes back in my real estate broker days. I bought them to make a profit. I very often had them sold, and closed the new sale the same day I took possession and used some the new buyers money to close the sale, and took the rest home as a profit.

The seller is selling for one of these reasons:

1: They bought it to make a profit, as I did very often.

2: They have financial problems, and that is none of the OPs business.

3: They had a family emergency and that is none of the OPs business.

4: They realize they really don't like the home so are selling it to get away from it.

5: They got laid off from their job, and cannot afford to keep the house, and that is none of the OPs business.

6: They are for one reason or another moving from the area, and that is none of the OPs business.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:51 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,931,398 times
Quote:
I think you're being a little rough on the OP. We took a loss of $100K on our last home sale (Phoenix metro AZ in 2012, we bought in 2007. ) I look at the prices that those homes are selling for a couple of times a year (the fact that prices have risen slowly makes me feel better about not keeping and renting the house). If the new owner had put it on the market, I would have found out that way.

That's not stalking her. That's just curiosity about my ex-neighborhood. I do the same thing with the house we sold in 2007 for a significant gain. It makes me feel better to know it still hasn't come back up to the price we sold it for in 2007.
I agree. It's natural curiosity for anyone interested in real estate. That said, I also agree with the notion that the seller has no business contracting a buyer post-sale. In addition to being a MYOB, it could lead to avoidable trouble. I wouldn't place the call. But if you happen to run into an old neighbor ...

Old 10-29-2015, 06:31 PM

4,230 posts, read 3,527,026 times
My old house is also up for sale, just did months after we sold it. I'm curious why, too. But I'm not going to find out. We live 1k miles away now.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:53 PM

19,047 posts, read 10,073,270 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Zillow sent me an email when it was listed and when it sold. Also a former neighbor sent me a link to the realtor.com lising. Otherwise I would never have known.
I'm the same way. I would not contact the buyer directly but I would absolutely be curious. Not in a creepy way, just because my life had intersected with theirs and they seemed to love the house so much. If it was some bad reason, then I still wouldn't reach out but I'd at least mentally wish them well and hope that everything worked out ok in the end.

OP, can you contact the neighbor who sent the link and ask if they know anything? I'd personally phrase it sympathetically, like "Oh, that's kind of sad to hear, I know she loved the house so much, I hope everything is ok" so that if it turned out she said anything to the buyer, it would come across as a combination of curiosity and concern. And personally, I think that's a very natural feeling.

If my house that I sold last year popped up as a listing (and yes, I do look at the neighborhood periodically to keep my eye on market values, just like I do with my current neighborhood), I'd go to an open house if they had one, out of curiosity to see what they had changed. I even look at my first home that I sold 8 years ago to see if it ever pops up as a listing, as I'd love to look at photos and see what it looked like now. No open house attendance for that one, though, since it's a couple of thousand miles away.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:09 PM

15,235 posts, read 23,776,351 times
a house is a very personal and emotional thing, I honestly too would wonder why would it be sold so fast? they didnt like it? original owner lived there a dozen years, so I get the emotion to a house.......

im sure its a valid reason as my logical side knows, things do happen and come up in life.

Id find out from a neighbor if you are really good friends with one.

hey, we all want to know now !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate