U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:17 PM

5,080 posts, read 3,778,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
a house is a very personal and emotional thing, I honestly too would wonder why would it be sold so fast? they didnt like it? original owner lived there a dozen years, so I get the emotion to a house.......

im sure its a valid reason as my logical side knows, things do happen and come up in life.

Id find out from a neighbor if you are really good friends with one.

hey, we all want to know now !!
Thanks. There are some pretty nasty people here making me out to be a stalker and a creep. I find it so interesting how some people find it offensive and stalkish that I found out the house was listed, then sold, and I was curious. Even suggesting the house was sold because I was stalking the new owners. Really crazy people post on forums!

My buyer and I spent a bit of time together since I did a flat fee listing so I worked directly with her real estate agent and her as well. But my better judgment does agree with the general consensus about not contacting her.... The old neighbors don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 07:22 PM

42,237 posts, read 49,783,147 times
We keep in contact with our sellers bc we like them AND we get their mail sometimes still (5 years later), so my wife texts them and they run by to pick it up.

I don't think it's weird.

I still sometimes google the activity on the house I lived in when I was a kid in California. Just to see what the haps is.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:48 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,896,758 times
Because he/she can?

Do it really matter in the grand scheme of things? You wanna buy it back? You got skeletons buried in the yard or something?

Forget the house; you tossed it away like a cig butt years ago.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Because he/she can?

Do it really matter in the grand scheme of things? You wanna buy it back? You got skeletons buried in the yard or something?

Forget the house; you tossed it away like a cig butt years ago.
I sold it 8 months ago. But if you read thru the thread I won't contact them.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:12 PM

7,773 posts, read 6,123,712 times
I find it odd that Zillow emailed you. Then again, you used a discount broker and thus were far more the contact person on the deal. But I've never personally gotten a Zillow email about one of my prior listings or buyers.

You would have avoided most of the backlash if you included in the first post that "I was minding my own business until Zillow and a former neighbor both emailed me that the home was for sale."

Old 10-29-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I find it odd that Zillow emailed you. Then again, you used a discount broker and thus were far more the contact person on the deal. But I've never personally gotten a Zillow email about one of my prior listings or buyers.

You would have avoided most of the backlash if you included in the first post that "I was minding my own business until Zillow and a former neighbor both emailed me that the home was for sale."
I list my rental properties on zillow and I listed my personal house on it too as a FSBO. There's a section on zillow for those who register to list properties that you can indicate properties you follow. Since I have owned dozens of properties, I tag them all. But I lived in that house for a dozen years. You are correct, however I never imagined when I posted that how I became aware of the house selling is really relevant. Actually still don't.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:19 PM

7,773 posts, read 6,123,712 times
I would say if you are personally following along after any prior residence such that you know within a 6 month period that it goes the market or sells, that you need different hobbies.

Of course, my daily exposure to market activity may jade me on that.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:27 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,867,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I wouldn't contact the new owner. However, I probably would contact one of my ex-neighbors and see what they know about it. (sorry, but like the OP, I'd be curious.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I think you're being a little rough on the OP. We took a loss of $100K on our last home sale (Phoenix metro AZ in 2012, we bought in 2007. ) I look at the prices that those homes are selling for a couple of times a year (the fact that prices have risen slowly makes me feel better about not keeping and renting the house). If the new owner had put it on the market, I would have found out that way.

That's not stalking her. That's just curiosity about my ex-neighborhood. I do the same thing with the house we sold in 2007 for a significant gain. It makes me feel better to know it still hasn't come back up to the price we sold it for in 2007.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree.

OP, you lived there for 12 years. Are there any neighbors you could ask?

Or just email her. No biggie. But be aware that you may not like her answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Ha ha, me too! I'm very nosy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
a house is a very personal and emotional thing, I honestly too would wonder why would it be sold so fast? they didnt like it? original owner lived there a dozen years, so I get the emotion to a house.......

im sure its a valid reason as my logical side knows, things do happen and come up in life.

Id find out from a neighbor if you are really good friends with one.

hey, we all want to know now !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Thanks. There are some pretty nasty people here making me out to be a stalker and a creep. I find it so interesting how some people find it offensive and stalkish that I found out the house was listed, then sold, and I was curious. Even suggesting the house was sold because I was stalking the new owners. Really crazy people post on forums!

My buyer and I spent a bit of time together since I did a flat fee listing so I worked directly with her real estate agent and her as well. But my better judgment does agree with the general consensus about not contacting her.... The old neighbors don't know.
What a load of ____ some people are posting. If it were me and I were in the same situation, I would be curious and would like to know the reason.

If you have the ex owners email, I would send a pleasant note that I had seen it had been sold and I hoped everything was alright with them. Then I would move on to something else and close it out.

Ignore some of the posts on this thread, please.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:53 AM

15,744 posts, read 23,977,253 times
Wow, there are a lot of people here who need some reading comprehension lessons

You need a new hobby (it was a neighbor and Zillow who emailed him the new listing)
You tossed it away years ago (sold 8 MONTHS ago)

When we sold our house in NY I read the RE listings in my old town every week for at least a year - it's human nature to want to see how you did in relation to everyone else.

My sister sold her house 5 years ago (also in my old town) and the people listed it 2 years ago and have been renting it out ever since. OF COURSE my sister (who still lives in that town) wanted to know why they were selling!! They put about $200K into the house after they bought it and listed it for what they paid for it, so they are taking a huge loss. They are both doctors, anyone who would tell me they aren't curious about that situation is flat out lying. As it turns out, the two of them decided they want a COMPLETE change in their lives and moved from metro NYC to SOUTH DAKOTA (not that anyone here would be interested in that tidbit, right?)

Old 10-30-2015, 05:01 AM

31,614 posts, read 55,335,524 times
The suggestion to contact an old neighbor and ask about it is the best. The former neighbor would likely welcome hearing from their own former neighbor.
And, no. The OP is not stalking, creepy, or out of line. Particularly if not pestering the person. It is a reasonable and common curiosity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate