U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 05:08 AM

379 posts, read 292,448 times

Advertisements

WTH??

Nobody is "attacking" or whatever you want to call it. To some people's perspective the question that was asked is strange or unsettling. It sounds like the OP wanted a cheerleading squad to cheer them on into contacting the owner. Sure its a curiosity factor in place, but being contacted out of the blue from someone who sold you their house is kind of strange to some people.
If the OP is so chummy with the owners, then just contact them already. Who cares what people think?
If the owners don't answer you back then you know they thought it was weird of you to ask. I mean, so what if they do? You're not hanging out with them or something. If they answer you, then your curiosity is cured and you may get yourself a drinking buddy.
Real simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 05:39 AM

3,276 posts, read 3,395,911 times
Yes, I'd ask

Old 10-30-2015, 06:00 AM

5,284 posts, read 4,573,501 times
I don't think it is creepy at all. You have her email, she knows you have her email and she chose to correspond with you in the past.

Just send a friendly message expressing concern. Maybe she had a change in family situation that necessitated the move? If she chooses not to respond, what have you lost?

Old 10-30-2015, 06:51 AM

4,542 posts, read 4,472,063 times
After Superstorm Sandy I had a sweet old lady in her late 80s show up with her two sons in their early 60s. She wanted to maker sure "her" house survived Sandy, she was really worried.

She built the house brand new in 1955, the neighborhood still had no power and lower part of house destroyed but I was rebuilding and house was 2/3rds fine. She came in and showed me her "boys" rooms and gave whole history of house and told me some great stories of when they lived there from 1955 till 1978. Her son turns out became a multi millionaire fashion designer and in my front bedroom he launched his empire designing "hippie" clothes for the kids in the local HS back in late 1960s.

My older next door neighbor a few weeks after that got a call from the owner who lived in my house from 1978 to 1998. He wanted to see if "his" house was ok. And a few months later the doorbell rang and a 30 year old man was visiting and wanted to make sure everything was ok. He even came in and saw his bedroom and showed us stuff that remained from his house from 1980s.

My wife was in a panic after Sandy as "our" house which was first house we bought when married and had all three children while there and tons of memories may not survive. It was very scary when five feet of water came through house. But it did.

And guess what one day it will be some new families house and I guess all four of us have to realize it is all "our" house.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:03 AM

345 posts, read 274,643 times
I'm with the MYOB crowd, but...
Curiosity is natural.

If you feel like you have a friendly relationship with the person you sold it to, then you need to reach out to them as a friend - concerned about HER, not the house.
Probably best not to contact her at all. If you must, though, check in with her and ask if she's ok.

-T.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:06 AM

1,230 posts, read 965,993 times
I bought/moved into my home Feb 2015 and i'm ready to gtfo. I will be selling early next year. I wouldn't mind if the owner sent me an email asking why. I guess it just depends on the person. No harm in sharing in a general way.

For the record:

1. My home is too big, 3/2/2 and it's just me and my cat.
2. I found out I don't like open floor plans and soaring ceilings. That echo, ughh
3. Also found out I don't like gardening stuff.
4. Sick of the neighbors across the street and their weekly fiestas in their garage/driveway (which faces mine directly)
5. Burnt out on the next door neighbor's husky barking in the middle of the night (he's one of those ones that barks when the wind blows)

Old 10-30-2015, 09:56 AM

7,083 posts, read 16,911,735 times
Contact your agent and let the agent call the other agent. The buyer doesn't need to be contacted, and since it's already closed, the agent probably has no issues with saying why she sold so quickly.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:09 AM

5,090 posts, read 3,784,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Contact your agent and let the agent call the other agent. The buyer doesn't need to be contacted, and since it's already closed, the agent probably has no issues with saying why she sold so quickly.
My personal agent was in her last weeks alive (cancer) at the time of my listing so I paid her a flat fee to put it on MLS. Her Remax broker gave special permission. We were friends for 20 years and had done dozens of deals together. The buyer used a different agent when she sold the property than the agent used when she bought my old place.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:38 AM

20,677 posts, read 15,457,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We keep in contact with our sellers bc we like them AND we get their mail sometimes still (5 years later), so my wife texts them and they run by to pick it up.

I don't think it's weird.

I still sometimes google the activity on the house I lived in when I was a kid in California. Just to see what the haps is.
I've done this. There's two main places (meaning places I lived the longest, not that I lived there my whole childhood), that I lived in as a child, and I'm curious to see what they look like now, what the neighborhood is like, what is the going price, how many times it's been sold, etc. I don't "stalk" the houses, I can't in real life, and I don't do it online, I just periodically look up those addresses to see if there's any new info.

Curiosity is a human trait, it doesn't mean someone is weird or creepy, for crying out loud.

But to the OP, no I wouldn't contact the buyer. Listen, if that person was happy, loving it, all giddy about the whole thing, and then 8 months later they are selling it, the probability that something negative happened in that person's life is high...very high...so I wouldn't approach them. Neighbors tend to find things out over time, so maybe your old neighbor will find out and let you know...just might not be for awhile.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:40 AM

392 posts, read 719,749 times
Couple of years after we bought our house, a car came by, then parked across the street and people came out. They were standing there looking for good 10 minutes. We waived at them to come by, and turns out, they were the owners who sold the house to our sellers some 20 years ago. They were in the area and wanted to see how "their" house was doing. We had a very busy day, and customers arrived (we work from home, so we didn't have time to chat with these people, but we would have loved that. We would have loved to invite them in and show around if they wanted. I didn't think anything was creepy at all. I actually hope they come again.

As to OPs situation, I think it is perfectly normal to be curious. Well, in my definition of what's normal, that is. Heck, I would be kind of curious to know who lives in my former RENTAL apartments, I liked couple of them quite a lot. In fact, once one of the houses we used to rent in came on the market, I had a very strong desire to buy it, or at least to come to an open house!

Real estate is a wonderful hobby, and I don't think you "need to get a new one", once your own transaction is over. It is fun and educational, and helps you keep your hand on the pulse, in case you decide to sell your current home and buy another one.

If you had a more personal relationship with the buyer, I think it is ok to contact them. I do hold mail for former sellers, and call them sometimes when something of importance seems to arrive. I throw away coupons and all.

I just think that people didn't like the idea of contacting the buyer, because they envisioned a very straightforward email "hey, why did you move?!". But I think it is fine to email in a casual way, asking how things are going, and maybe not even asking about the moving / selling part. If the person feels like sharing, they might tell they moved, and if not, ok, you didn't appear as a stalker or too nosey of a person who keeps track of someone else's life.

Most importantly, I don't think your buyer "fell out of love with the house", isn't that your main question? I think something else was the cause, she still loved your / her house and was probably sad to leave...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate