U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 12:57 PM

11,714 posts, read 17,127,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Zillow sent me an email when it was listed and when it sold. Also a former neighbor sent me a link to the realtor.com lising. Otherwise I would never have known.
Some of us figured this much, Ignore the morons calling you creepy. Some people can't think outside the box.lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 05:08 PM

3,529 posts, read 2,019,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
She just loved the place! Even bought my furnishings. Its almost 5K sq feet and she moved in with her extended family. Even paid my handyman to walk her through the house to show her how to change filters on HVAC and set water heaters when she traveled. LOVED IT!!! Then 8 months later she sold the house basically listed at enough to cover her sales expenses and new landscaping she had put in. Our market has appreciated so she seems to have gotten her price. But I am curious and have the urge to email her (we had traded many emails during the process when she was buying our furnishings) to find out why.

Would you or just be a grown up and live with the unknown. I know its not my business. But we lived in the house for a dozen years......
"Worldklas" has little "class" to ask why.
Her extended family? maybe they didn't get along, maybe they really couldn't afford the mansion after all, maybe it just didn't suit them...any number of a dozen or two of reasons.

Not your place to ask.

BUT, if you really must know, try calling the listing agent, and, upon finding out the length of ownership on the disclosure sheet, you could ask the listing agent "why they are selling, is there something wrong with the house?".
WHo knows, maybe it sits over a sink-hole,and you got lucky!

But I'd stay completely out of it!

Old 10-30-2015, 07:02 PM

1,304 posts, read 840,337 times
OP, I would be very curious too. I would MYOB though, but I can't blame you for wondering.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:12 PM

2,638 posts, read 4,365,144 times
One reason I wouldn't contact the buyer is that there is a chance the buyer was unhappy with things that broke or believed I misrepresented something. The buyer might have just decided to move on rather than to confront me. But if I were to contact her, she might change her mind and decide to tell me everything she thought was my fault - or worse, demand that I compensate her.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:01 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,606,663 times
Something similar happened to a house I was showing and as the buyer's agent, I was curious and wanted to make sure there wasn't something up with the house/neighborhood. Turns out, the buyer was diagnosed with terminal cancer shortly after buying the house and was currently in hospice. It was a terrible situation and I'm glad the other agent told me but I'm also glad nobody went and asked the buyer "what happened?". If you are truly concerned, call the listing agent and express concern; maybe the agent will divulge some info. to you.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:46 AM

4,896 posts, read 5,888,324 times
Sweet Jesus. Over and above the nasty posts from some, it is obvious that others didn't bother to read the OP's post.....

A couple of years ago, on Halloween, I was at my daughters house, giving out candy. A woman and apparently a daughter and a friend kept peering into the front door, which is glass. Finally, I ask if there was anything wrong and she said, "Oh, no, we built this house 20 years ago and lived in it for 10. We were just curious if anything had changed." I invited them in to look around in the main rooms and out in the pool area. They were delighted, spent 10-15 minutes there and went on their way. My daughter thought it was hoot.....

OP, I'll bet you wished you had never brought this up...... Talk about being tarred and feathered.....oh well. LOL.

Good luck in whatever you do, if anything.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:03 PM

1,048 posts, read 554,015 times
Now I'm embarrassed, but I went back to a house I lived in for about 10 years. I never would have harassed the owner, but she came to the door and offered to let me look around. We had a nice chat. She wanted to know about plumbing issues they were having etc. I also stopped in a neighborhood and went to the house where I lived for the first 23 years of my life. I saw the neighbor next door and we had a really nice visit. The owner of the house where I lived was not too friendly so I didn't bother her at all. I would have loved to see the inside of the house. I had helped my Dad build on the back addition... Some of us get more attached to our homes than others. Some people just walk away and never care. I wonder if the OP's curiosity is about the house or the people who sold...I suspect it's about the house, mostly, like what might have happened to it.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:43 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,888,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Now I'm embarrassed, but I went back to a house I lived in for about 10 years. I never would have harassed the owner, but she came to the door and offered to let me look around. We had a nice chat. She wanted to know about plumbing issues they were having etc. I also stopped in a neighborhood and went to the house where I lived for the first 23 years of my life. I saw the neighbor next door and we had a really nice visit. The owner of the house where I lived was not too friendly so I didn't bother her at all. I would have loved to see the inside of the house. I had helped my Dad build on the back addition... Some of us get more attached to our homes than others. Some people just walk away and never care. I wonder if the OP's curiosity is about the house or the people who sold...I suspect it's about the house, mostly, like what might have happened to it.
Don't be embarrassed. You were just curious and since you were polite and not pushy, nice people accommodated your curiosity.

I think it was a lovely post.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:34 AM

4,542 posts, read 4,500,877 times
You guys are haters. The original owner who as a newlywed built the house I live in brand new in 1954 as their "starter" home who stopped by after Sandy has some amazing great stories about my house and the neighborhood back in the 1950s and 1960s.
My favorite part of story the 90 year old women told me is that my neighbors house was owned by the second richest man in town. He had house built on a slightly larger corner plot, requested garage be built as an office an on other side added a driveway with a carport. Only house in town like that. The Dentist moved away in the late 1960s.

Of course I asked well who was richest man in town? My husband, Mr. Breakstone himself. I go what? Breakstone Cottage Cheese and Breakstone Butter with the Sam Breakstone commercials.

She goes yes. She said they actually ended up living in their "starter" home all they way till there youngest graduated HS.

Later on her husband sold Breakstone to Kraft. Actually Warren Buffett's top performing stock this year. Stock is near record highs.

The amazing part is I live in a 60x100 split that is 1,500 square feet. One of her sons became a famous fashion designer she told me also. I looked him up to.

A few weeks later I get invited to a party where neighbors are there. A women who was around 55 and grew up in my town was at the table. I told her story. She was like OMG you live in the Breakstone house. You know they got the first above ground pool in town. They also was first to do a kitchen extension. When I was a kid I learned to swim in your yard. Her husband who also grew up there also learned to swim in the yard. The Breakstones on hot days would have 30-40 kids in that 21 round above ground pool and we thought it was heaven. Back then no fences in backyards like a big playground. And the Breakstones had only pool and the Mom always gave out lemonade.

The older women was obviously a multimillionaire many many times over and said she lived in a doorman building in midtown Manhattan. But when she was at my little 60x100 split level she almost went right back to 1955 the day when she was a young Mom with two young sons in my Backyard with a big picture of Lemonade and the whole neighborhood in the small backyard.

I am very very glad she came by.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:39 PM

29,644 posts, read 32,044,943 times
I had one of the adult sons of my homes original owners come by about 10 years after we bought the place. I showed him around, and showed the his handprint in the patio cement that was still there (no longer, we put a family room there!). It was fine. I used to drive by my first house and talk to the next door neighbor and I've "stalked" it on Google Earth a few times because they did some additions and I'm curious about this kind of stuff.

I don't think I'd contact the buyer in this case though, too many weird and/or bad things could have happened to cause them to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate