U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-10-2015, 10:08 AM
 
3,750 posts, read 10,203,909 times
Reputation: 6560

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
if i may ask, why does all looking the same ( as long as they look nice), pose to be a problem?
Because people find it easier to look down on something that is "mass produced".

Its just a trend at the moment.

The same way that artisnal cheese at your local market is better than a mass-produced aged gouda (well, not necessarily) and the same way that a micro brew is better than a guiness (oh wait..)

basically its a snob-way to differentiate - because god knows we can't just say "Differences make the world go round, live and let live.."

Of course, all those charming mid-century homes, as well as Queen Anns and Victorians and Row Houses...

they were pretty much identical when they were built (not unusual for one or two builders in a town to build the majority of new houses over their lifetimes...).. and its only been in the succeeding decades that they differentiated from one another -- as various owners changed roof lines, put on additions, radically changed landscaping and major fixtures (windows/doors/etc..)..

If you look in most "old" neighborhoods, you can tell that the bones of the houses are nearly identical to their brethren on either side (and across the street) - up and down the whole neighborhood.

But because those are "OLD" now, they are better.


I would suggest not worrying what others think, and just going with what you actually like. Because trying to please the trend makers is a no-win game.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2015, 10:30 AM
 
3,280 posts, read 3,543,825 times
Reputation: 3966
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post

...and yeah, i dont like the preaching either! hahah, though, to each, their own.

I think a lot of it comes from jealousy. Some people just CANNOT stand to see other people have better/nicer/fancier things than themselves.

My neighbor has a Ferrari. He gets a new one every couple of years. They're beautiful cars and sometimes I wish I had one too, but at the end of the day I realize that I really have nothing to complain about with the cars we have and am thankful for them.

The moral of the story is the world is a better place if we don't stay up nights, sweating over other people's possessions.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2015, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Youngstown, Oh.
4,779 posts, read 7,338,897 times
Reputation: 4290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I think a lot of it comes from jealousy. Some people just CANNOT stand to see other people have better/nicer/fancier things than themselves.

My neighbor has a Ferrari. He gets a new one every couple of years. They're beautiful cars and sometimes I wish I had one too, but at the end of the day I realize that I really have nothing to complain about with the cars we have and am thankful for them.

The moral of the story is the world is a better place if we don't stay up nights, sweating over other people's possessions.
I think the statement in bold is a large part of why McMansion lovers are often preached at. Deep down, McMansion owners assume that what they have is the best, and don't understand why anyone would choose something different. So, when other people do tell them why they prefer something different, it sounds like preaching.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2015, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Boise, ID
8,011 posts, read 22,505,069 times
Reputation: 9212
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
Hello,
I just read a long passionate thread about mcmansions and how awful they are? Im almost embarressed to admit that I actually like them. I find they have all kinds of bells and whistles I want, sq footage, beautiful master baths etc etc that I am looking for in nice neighbourhoods.

So please let me hear from people who bought and like living in them!! and please elucidate WHY...thanks so much!
To me, a house that has the bolded part isn't a McMansion. It is just a large, nice house. McMansion to me, means that it is all about getting the square footage for the cheapest possible price. No upgrades, no personality, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2015, 12:01 PM
 
3,280 posts, read 3,543,825 times
Reputation: 3966
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I think the statement in bold is a large part of why McMansion lovers are often preached at. Deep down, McMansion owners assume that what they have is the best, and don't understand why anyone would choose something different. So, when other people do tell them why they prefer something different, it sounds like preaching.
So the Mcmansion lovers made a choice they are happy with. I do not see how that is bad, I guess other people are just jealous of that happiness and feel the need to attack it or something.

There is a big difference between telling why one prefers something else and preaching. Preferring something else is more of about one's own experiences. Preaching is forcing views onto someone else.

Preferring would be like saying: "I drive a Toyota, it's a good car, well made, here's the pros and cons, this is my take on it."

Preaching is: "OH MY GOD! Why do you NEED a Chevy Suburban? NO ONE needs a Chevy Suburban. I have 38 kids and we have a Mini Cooper which is too big for us. Knowing hardly anything about you, I am going to tell you exactly how you should live your life because I am king of the universe."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2015, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Boise, ID
494 posts, read 333,512 times
Reputation: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
To me, a house that has the bolded part isn't a McMansion. It is just a large, nice house. McMansion to me, means that it is all about getting the square footage for the cheapest possible price. No upgrades, no personality, etc.
I disagree, most of the tract homes I see have upgraded kitchen and baths. Builders are experts at giving the impression of quality while going cheap on none visible items. DH and I joke that our house looks great but is held together with sawdust and glue. That is an exaggeration, but certain things that were done in our house drive me nuts. The number one complaint would be the interior doors. Second would be the placement of outlets and switches.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2015, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Denver CO
18,975 posts, read 10,040,378 times
Reputation: 27746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooks1976 View Post
I disagree, most of the tract homes I see have upgraded kitchen and baths. Builders are experts at giving the impression of quality while going cheap on none visible items. DH and I joke that our house looks great but is held together with sawdust and glue. That is an exaggeration, but certain things that were done in our house drive me nuts. The number one complaint would be the interior doors. Second would be the placement of outlets and switches.
My house is by no means a McMansion (it's about 1800 sq ft and it's one half of a side by side duplex) but the outlet and switches make me CRAZY. They are random - in some rooms, the outlet is a few inches from the door jamb, in some rooms, it's about a foot away. Outlets are equally random, including ones I paid extra for and specced in specific locations. In my powder room, the outlet blocks on wall on the side of the sink, so no room for a towel ring, and on the other side of the sink, they stuck an outlet there, at the same height as the light switch. No room for a towel ring there either. Because no one using a powder room wants to wash their hands for any reason.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2015, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Youngstown, Oh.
4,779 posts, read 7,338,897 times
Reputation: 4290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
So the Mcmansion lovers made a choice they are happy with. I do not see how that is bad, I guess other people are just jealous of that happiness and feel the need to attack it or something.

There is a big difference between telling why one prefers something else and preaching. Preferring something else is more of about one's own experiences. Preaching is forcing views onto someone else.

Preferring would be like saying: "I drive a Toyota, it's a good car, well made, here's the pros and cons, this is my take on it."

Preaching is: "OH MY GOD! Why do you NEED a Chevy Suburban? NO ONE needs a Chevy Suburban. I have 38 kids and we have a Mini Cooper which is too big for us. Knowing hardly anything about you, I am going to tell you exactly how you should live your life because I am king of the universe."
I guess it depends on your idea of preaching, then. On other threads, I've explained why I don't like McMansions. And, I'd hate for my disdain for McMansions to be taken as veiled envy. But, I also don't care how others choose to live.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2015, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,165 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Reputation: 52030
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
Tiny lots in the midst of far less desirable homes, not in the hottest places. I've often seen a McMansion situated next to a 1200 square foot ranch from 1973. Today, one came up for sale a block away from an industrial park.
People tear down small ranches and put up big McMansions. It's a scourge in many established neighborhoods.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2015, 08:56 PM
 
5,671 posts, read 7,260,887 times
Reputation: 3182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Because people find it easier to look down on something that is "mass produced".

Its just a trend at the moment.

The same way that artisnal cheese at your local market is better than a mass-produced aged gouda (well, not necessarily) and the same way that a micro brew is better than a guiness (oh wait..)

basically its a snob-way to differentiate - because god knows we can't just say "Differences make the world go round, live and let live.."

Of course, all those charming mid-century homes, as well as Queen Anns and Victorians and Row Houses...

they were pretty much identical when they were built (not unusual for one or two builders in a town to build the majority of new houses over their lifetimes...).. and its only been in the succeeding decades that they differentiated from one another -- as various owners changed roof lines, put on additions, radically changed landscaping and major fixtures (windows/doors/etc..)..

If you look in most "old" neighborhoods, you can tell that the bones of the houses are nearly identical to their brethren on either side (and across the street) - up and down the whole neighborhood.

But because those are "OLD" now, they are better.


I would suggest not worrying what others think, and just going with what you actually like. Because trying to please the trend makers is a no-win game.
+1. Tons of hate for things like chain restaurants these days. Yes, it's good when not everything is a chain, but I don't mind them as you know what you're going to get. Just because a restaurant is locally-owned doesn't mean it's any good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
if you dont mind me asking, what do you mean by strangest of places?
Not sure what that poster was referring to, but in my area I often see McMansion neighborhoods in otherwise rural areas, and I will admit it does look a little odd to drive down a two-lane road full of trees, maybe some double-wides, then all of the sudden there is a huge neighborhood with new homes packed together and not a tree in sight.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top