Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 04:42 PM

169 posts, read 331,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Lots of people like McMansions for the uniformity. They like looking down the street and seeing homes that look similar. It makes them happy. If it makes you happy why are worrying about someone else's dislike for them?
I am worried that I may like something that most people dont like, meaning if I buy into one, itll suck for resale value. Thats all. Other than that, I love these large uniform looking houses with lotsa amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 04:49 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Somebody likes them because they sell and people are living in them.

Locally, they are built to California tastes for people who think that it is normal to live on top of your neighbors. They have a lot of fancy features on top of poor construction. A lot of extra fancy frosting piled on top of a cupcake made out of the cheapest cake mix and cheap ingredients. Native Oregonians have a tendency to say "who would want to live in that?". because for the same money, there are much better places available.

If you take two large, equal size houses, one might be a McMansion and the other one might not be. The McMansion is a fast food house for people who lack any refined tastes. Which is fine, if you like to eat at Micky Dee's, a whole lot of other people do too. It's just not top of the line.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:04 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
In the 50's,60's, and 70's we had what were then called tract homes. A dozen floorplans, a dozen exteriors, mix/match/and reverse. The lots were often 10-20X the size of the footprint of the house, or more. The home square footages were in the range 1500-2500.

Then neighborhoods began to change and the lots became smaller while the houses became larger. The homes we call McMansions today are built like what would have been actual mansions in the 50's and 60's, but are instead now in the tract style (not built by one builder one at a time) and on lots that are often only 5-6X the size of the first floor of these homes. They are 'Mansions' because they are built to look luxurious. The 'Mc' comes from the similarities of all the McMansions in neighborhoods everywhere, sort of like McDonalds and the fact you can get the exact same burger in every big city. Often the McMansions are lovely, but they seem out of place on the tiny lots. But I guess kids are growing up with them now, so they may not seem as odd as they once did. Plus in many places that is all the developers are producing, perhaps due to the higher profit margin.

Last edited by luv4horses; 10-29-2015 at 05:22 PM..

Old 10-29-2015, 05:06 PM

what do guys think of a new subdivison where the homes are similar, built by one builder ( not toll or lennar or pulte) but a local builder? would that also be considered a 'mcmansion'. these houses may actually have nice construction AND lotsa space with amenities.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:12 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
A McMansion is a garish, tawdry and ultimately low-quality facsimile of genuine luxury. It is mass-produced. It is based on borrowed and derivative style, and tends towards the vulgar. It's positively dripping with the phony and the aspirational. It's rampant example of upper-middle-class consumers trying to reach beyond their station in life.

A real mansion is lovingly designed by an eminent architect, is built by the finest craftsmen, and goes on to be maintained by a full-time crew. A real mansion carries historical significance, being passed on from generation to generation. It is rarely sold, and is never "flipped".

Old 10-29-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
A McMansion is a garish, tawdry and ultimately low-quality facsimile of genuine luxury. It is mass-produced. It is based on borrowed and derivative style, and tends towards the vulgar. It's positively dripping with the phony and the aspirational. It's rampant example of upper-middle-class consumers trying to reach beyond their station in life.

A real mansion is lovingly designed by an eminent architect, is built by the finest craftsmen, and goes on to be maintained by a full-time crew. A real mansion carries historical significance, being passed on from generation to generation. It is rarely sold, and is never "flipped".
Ohio_peasant....not many of us could afford those lovely custom built mansions now could we?
in the meantime, i guess its not too bad to try to want those amenities.....also not sure if it is prudent to spend that much on a new custom built real mansion in the kind of real estate times we live in.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:29 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
I live in the south. I have never been in one where people used all of the space. There is usually a lot of formal area (living room, dining room, foyer), every room furnished appropriately, and then a kitchen/family room where the family actually lives, usually at the back of the house. I use to wonder who would want a formal dining room so far from the kitchen. Its not a problem. Its a showcase, not a place to eat.

Large bathrooms and huge closets.

Two story entries with huge, high windows and chandeliers. I think it would be a difficult house to heat and cool and keep clean.

But if you like them, I think you should have what you like, and live however pleases you.

I wonder how they have held up over time.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:29 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
what do guys think of a new subdivison where the homes are similar, built by one builder ( not toll or lennar or pulte) but a local builder? would that also be considered a 'mcmansion'. these houses may actually have nice construction AND lotsa space with amenities.
You are describing a subdivision, plain and simple. In a subdivision, one large acreage is divided into lots at the same time.There are many subdivisions that are quite nice. When there are different architects you can rest assured they are not "Mc"houses (ie, repetitive designs). If they are simply large homes on good sized lots (my personal rule of thumb would be 20X the footprint of the house), perhaps we could call them "mansionettes" or just nice "houses".

IMHO McMansions can be well-constructed, it's just that they are usually repetitive, huge, and with little property.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:53 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
I confess that McMansions make me smile -- mostly because they represent a way of thinking that differs diametrically from mine in its obvious vulgarity and crassness.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:56 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,825 times
I love them. Mine is well built and beautiful. I love the 30 foot ceilings and all of my square footage and my beautiful new clean and safe neighborhood. What's not to like?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate