Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:27 PM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times

Advertisements

Whatever makes people happy. I have a friend who just bought one and she's thrilled about it. I'm happy for her.

Personally, I love old established neighborhoods where all of the houses are different from each other and have big private back yards. (This is why I like ramblers, if you have a privacy fence, no-one is looking at you from the 2nd floor of the next door house.)

I also love older houses because they have a history. In one of my bedroom closets, there is some crazy far-out, 3-D wallpaper on the ceiling that I KNOW someone must have put there in the 60's. I never took it down. It's still there. I like all of the old fixtures. I just like old stuff, in general. I'm not a fan of shiny new things.

My house was built before I was born. That's kind of cool. This house has been here longer than I have. It's kind of comforting in an odd way. Maybe I'm weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 11:17 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,873 times
Mcmansion is just a play on the word Mcdonalds. Just as your stomach is stuffed to excess in Mcdonalds, so is your suburban lot with the Mcmansion. Supersize everything but leave enough standing room for you and kids in your mini backyard.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:09 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
I like my "McMansion". It works well with 3 kids and two parents that work from home in separate careers. Four bedrooms, two offices, typical suburb out the front door with 1000's of protected wooded acres behind me. It is a nice looking house, with good quality amenities and materials. I am in multi-million dollar houses relatively often, and while they are cool to see, after an hour or two the shine usually wears off......there have been a few though that are utterly amazing.

Bottom line is, live in what you want.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:37 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times
My preference is for older homes. Ours is a 1959 bungalow on a large lot.

As for McMansions... They aren't my thing as they are way too big for my tastes and generally have limited outdoor space compared to more traditional houses like the one I grew up in and the one we live in now. That being said, a McMansion is infinitely more appealing than the dystopian high-density Soviet-esque housing popular with posters in the Urban Planning sub-forum.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:43 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times
A mcmansion is just an oversized tract home and I do not like tract homes regardless of size. I like older homes built in the 40's, 50's and 60's. I think they have more character and I prefer the older architecture and established vegitation. The other isssue is that tract homes are poorly built and have tiny yards. Older homes were built to last.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:22 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
I would think a mcmansion would be minimum 4-5 bed room and at least 3,000 sq ft with 3 bath and HIGH end finishes. I think thats what really determines a mcmansion is the high end finishes and the property it sits on. Your property sounds prime and if you have high end finishes it could be considered one. Also the location is a big deal, I suppose you could have a mcmansion in the middle of nowhere but usually the lable is in refernce to convient locations as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Exactly what IS a "McMansion"?
HMMM...
Perhaps I live in one!
3 bedrooms and a den (could be fourth bedroom), 1 3/4 bath, single level, 2 car garage, large deck, on 1 2/3 acres, with combination 2 stall shop, hay barn, and 2 horse stalls.
Could that be considered a "McMansion"?
You can call it what you will, we call it "home"!
I like it because there is no HOA, very few CCRs (and nobody to enforce them), and it is 5 miles outside the City Limits! I can keep my RV at home, I can overhaul a vehicle in the driveway, and nobody will ever tell me I can not install any radio antenna I can afford (I have a Ham license!)

Old 10-30-2015, 05:25 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
unfortunatly for alot of people if they dont want over an hour commute to work they have to live in crap holes or pay an absolute forture to live in a nice place close to work. IF people stopped taking these jobs it would compel employers to do something different. I would never take a job with out doing a cost of living analysis and adusting my counter offer accordingly.

I think 99% of people just think, wow a 100k job what a great deal, then they realize that the homes in the area are 800k but they have already quite their other job, uh oh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
My preference is for older homes. Ours is a 1959 bungalow on a large lot.

As for McMansions... They aren't my thing as they are way too big for my tastes and generally have limited outdoor space compared to more traditional houses like the one I grew up in and the one we live in now. That being said, a McMansion is infinitely more appealing than the dystopian high-density Soviet-esque housing popular with posters in the Urban Planning sub-forum.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:35 AM

169 posts, read 331,082 times
so our mcmansion is on a cul de sac, awesome views of the mountains and on top of the hill if you will. The homes are awesome. alebit small backyard but a LOT of front yard. so its a lot of acreage but backs up into a hill so no one can build behind that house. question: how much would it be to level the backyard and make a pool?

also do these mcmansions allow fences by any chance?

Old 10-30-2015, 07:41 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
I agree with many of you. The finish work on a home is what it the tell-tale sign for me. We have several McM around here which are easy to spot as the home is so out of purpotioned to the lot and have cheap looking facades. Our home is in a mixed neighborhood of tract and custom homes from the '70s and '80s. And they all look different. The lot sizes are in proportion as well. A few years ago, it was looked down on if you lived in a "ranch". Well, here in TX, they are still common and I am glad I am in one now. Wife has chronic illness and my knees are getting to the point that stairs are not my friend anymore ( after doing high impact aerobics in the '80s). Therefore, you can have the stairs, we will prefer to be on one level. I used to want a 2 story colonial but not now! Most McMs I see are 2 and even 3 story. UGH.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:43 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Exactly what IS a "McMansion"?
HMMM...
Perhaps I live in one!
3 bedrooms and a den (could be fourth bedroom), 1 3/4 bath, single level, 2 car garage, large deck, on 1 2/3 acres, with combination 2 stall shop, hay barn, and 2 horse stalls.
Could that be considered a "McMansion"?
You can call it what you will, we call it "home"!
I like it because there is no HOA, very few CCRs (and nobody to enforce them), and it is 5 miles outside the City Limits! I can keep my RV at home, I can overhaul a vehicle in the driveway, and nobody will ever tell me I can not install any radio antenna I can afford (I have a Ham license!)
LOL, I wouldn't call this a "Mc Mansion". I would call it a lot of work with a barn and horses. Glad for you! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate