Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 01:28 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,870,812 times

Advertisements

The interesting thing is that there is a growing and strong "tiny houses" movement. Our town is considering a new zoning category to encourage them, as the cost to service is so much less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 09:58 PM

473 posts, read 516,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
I am worried that I may like something that most people dont like, meaning if I buy into one, itll suck for resale value. Thats all. Other than that, I love these large uniform looking houses with lotsa amenities.
The problem with resale isn't so much lack of interest. It's that the people who prefer McMansions can generally get one brand new, so you're always competing with newer models. These homes tend to be built away from the urban core, in the suburbs and exurbs, where location is less of an issue because everyone is driving everywhere anyway. If a developer can put up the exact same subdivision half a mile down the road, I would be seriously concerned about what that will do to your home value. Why would a buyer want someone else's 10-year-old McMansion when they can get new construction three minutes up the road or the next town over that's equidistant to my job, only in another direction?

Old 11-09-2015, 06:59 AM

914 posts, read 1,127,441 times
Is it just me, or do McMansions typically end up in a lot of short sales? I'm guessing these are people that really bit off more than they could chew. They're also situated in the strangest places. If I had that kind of money, I would get a better location.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:05 PM

169 posts, read 327,381 times
and that is very true..so that why if we were to ever buy one, it would have to be at a big discount.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:06 PM

if you dont mind me asking, what do you mean by strangest of places?

Old 11-09-2015, 07:22 PM

914 posts, read 1,127,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
if you dont mind me asking, what do you mean by strangest of places?
Tiny lots in the midst of far less desirable homes, not in the hottest places. I've often seen a McMansion situated next to a 1200 square foot ranch from 1973. Today, one came up for sale a block away from an industrial park.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:31 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,347,423 times
I suppose one could say I like them, but it comes down to this: I like new houses and I like large houses. As far as I know a Mcmansion is just a new large house.

I'm not a tinkerer, I don't want to be constantly fixing things, especially if they are non-standard size as are in many older homes. I value the qualities and amenities of newer homes. Modern plumbing, electrics, HVAC, insulation, cosmetics, layout, etc. Sure, one could extensively renovate an older home, and many do and love it, but it's not my cup of tea. It's like the parable about the axe: if you put a new head and a new shaft on it, is it the same axe?

I say to each their own, big house, small house, old, new, whatever. I have nothing against discussions or comparisons either, it's all good.

What gets annoying is when people try to push their views on others saying stuff like "Why do you NEED a XXXX square foot house? No one needs a XXXX square foot house! My family of thirty lives perfectly comfortably in a Janitor's closet, we are the model of what everyone else should be!"

Old 11-10-2015, 01:02 AM

13,437 posts, read 15,347,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
The problem with resale isn't so much lack of interest. It's that the people who prefer McMansions can generally get one brand new, so you're always competing with newer models. These homes tend to be built away from the urban core, in the suburbs and exurbs, where location is less of an issue because everyone is driving everywhere anyway. If a developer can put up the exact same subdivision half a mile down the road, I would be seriously concerned about what that will do to your home value. Why would a buyer want someone else's 10-year-old McMansion when they can get new construction three minutes up the road or the next town over that's equidistant to my job, only in another direction?
I don't know...but I ended up selling my 10 year old McMansion over asking despite the surrounding new home construction. In the suburbs, location and schools apply. I personally don't like uniformity at all.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I suppose one could say I like them, but it comes down to this: I like new houses and I like large houses. As far as I know a Mcmansion is just a new large house.

I'm not a tinkerer, I don't want to be constantly fixing things, especially if they are non-standard size as are in many older homes. I value the qualities and amenities of newer homes. Modern plumbing, electrics, HVAC, insulation, cosmetics, layout, etc. Sure, one could extensively renovate an older home, and many do and love it, but it's not my cup of tea. It's like the parable about the axe: if you put a new head and a new shaft on it, is it the same axe?

I say to each their own, big house, small house, old, new, whatever. I have nothing against discussions or comparisons either, it's all good.

What gets annoying is when people try to push their views on others saying stuff like "Why do you NEED a XXXX square foot house? No one needs a XXXX square foot house! My family of thirty lives perfectly comfortably in a Janitor's closet, we are the model of what everyone else should be!"
agreed, i like large new houses too in nice schools and neighbourhoods...big time remodeling is not for us either. i dont mind doing some cosmetic changes. as long as i am in a nice neighborhood thats all i care about.

...and yeah, i dont like the preaching either! hahah, though, to each, their own.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:52 AM

372 posts, read 511,392 times
A McMansion isn't just a large house. Of course there are many beautiful large houses. I think of a McMansion as a larger house constructed with cheaper materials that looks nearly identical to the neighboring houses. Generally they have tacky looking faux details, like fake columns, in a failed attempt to make them look more expensive. They are often much too big for the lot they are built on, so they have very little privacy and sparse yards, maybe one small sad looking tree in the front if you're lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate