Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:23 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,576,579 times

Advertisements

There is barely any benefit assuming you're buying an average or below average priced house.

If you're single, you buy a $180K house; put 20% down and finance $150K. Your first year's interest on the mortgage is $5,850. Assuming that your property tax is $1,300. The itemized tax deduction add up to $7,150. The standard deduction is going to be about $6,400. That means, your tax deduction will be your federal tax bracket rate (assuming it's 20%) times $750 = $150.

That's a whopping $150 savings per year IF you're single, and that tax saving amount is shrinking EVERY year as your interest payment decreases. By year 3, the standard deduction will probably be more than your $7,150 itemized deduction number.

If you're married. Forget it! You will need to buy a $360K house to get that mere $150 dollar tax savings for the first year or two.

Am I missing anything here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 07:29 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
No. For years, our standard deduction exceeded the itemized deductions. The mortgage tax break benefits high cost states like New York and California.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:47 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,476 times
Meh! I do not even pay much attention to this. I bought my house to be a quiet home, not a vehicle to alter my taxes with.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:57 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Meh! I do not even pay much attention to this. I bought my house to be a quiet home, not a vehicle to alter my taxes with.
Exactly.
When you start making decisions based upon tax implications, you have come the rails somwwhere along the line.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:59 AM

124 posts, read 149,853 times
When you itemize, you can deduct property tax, charity and state and local taxes too, along with your mortgage interest, that will get the number far above the standard deduction.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:08 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Am I missing anything here?
You are absolutely missing something. You don't specify, but what's your alternative? If it's not living with mommy and daddy you're going to pay rent. Do you think there's no property tax involved there? Trust me, your land lord is paying property tax and passing that cost on to his tenants. Just because you don't see it in a line item doesn't mean you aren't paying it.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:13 AM

106,655 posts, read 108,810,853 times
most renters do not itemize , they actually do spend less in deductible items so tax wise they fly the empty seats .

they likely get money back via the standard deduction that they never spent in the first place unlike the homeowner who may very well spend those deductible items .

remember we are talking tax wise here not overall cash flow .

based on median incomes most homeowners can't get over the standard deduction either so they get nothing for their ownership . the ability to itemize deductions gets higher as incomes get higher an exceeding th standard deductions on any large scale does not happen until well above median incomes .

Old 10-31-2015, 05:39 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
I agree, the benefit is overstated in many cases. HOWEVER, if you have other deductions for which you qualify, the mortgage deduction can cast you into the realm where you now get value out of those other itemizable deductions. Also, at come critical points the deduction might keep some of your income out of the next higher tax bracket, the most critical of which might be the jump from 15% to 20%.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:28 AM

106,655 posts, read 108,810,853 times
it is only the part of your itemized deductions that drag you over the standard deduction that adds any more of a tax return ..

if without the home you didn't ''t make it over the standard deduction then it is only the part of the house that goes above that counts .

nothing below the standard deduction adds a penny of value that wasn't there without the house ..

the first 12,600 for a couple in deductions are discarded no matter what as far as adding a penny more to your tax return .

Old 10-31-2015, 07:59 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Discussion View Post
When you itemize, you can deduct property tax, charity and state and local taxes too, along with your mortgage interest, that will get the number far above the standard deduction.
And more. Medical/dental expenses, medical insurance premiums (nearly 10k in our two adult house, one with medicare, the other on a "cheaper" BC/BS individual policy with a 5k deductible!) Investment expenses. Property tax on our cars. Sales tax.

But Mathjak is absolutely correct. As the years go by, our RMD will increase resulting in increased taxable income. And each year, the amortization of our mortgage produces a smaller interest deduction. Eventually, it will make probably more sense to pay off the 3.5% mortgage. (Unless medical expense and insurance deductions get 100% treatment. I've never understood WHY they are subject to a floor. Quite unfair, in my view.)

That said, we didn't buy our house for tax reasons. We bought it for a HOME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate