Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 07:02 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times

Advertisements

This seems like the best forum for this question.

In my neighborhood, there is an out-of-state investment company that owns 2 properties, one of them is quite significant.

At the larger, more significant property, they essentially kicked out all of their tenants, and rent the roof space for cell towers. Here is an article that explains a bit more:
With threat of prosecution, Parkway Towers sit unrepaired | WKBN.com

Now, at their other property, a 9-unit apartment building just a few blocks away, all of their tenants are moving out, because the owners won't fix the roof, or (more importantly for November in Ohio) the boiler.

I can almost understand using the larger building as a large cell tower for easy money. But, why let the smaller building go vacant?

We've made quite a bit of progress toward revitalizing this neighborhood. But, these properties (and others like them, owned by other out-of-state entities) are really thwarting our efforts, and it's frustrating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 07:17 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times
"What do investors have to gain by NOT maintaining their property?"
A belief that doing so will result in a higher ROI.
Simple as that.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:25 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,304 times
some pics here, for those who are interested: City crackdown on code violations targets local landmark - The News Outlet

I think it's a weird-looking building that's the wrong look and scale for the neighborhood. The tower portion is downright ugly. The front part, the lower building, looks like it could be cleaned up well. But the whole thing looks like two disparate buildings, or like an original building with a tower added. Maybe that's what it actually was? I don't know Y-Town's history, except that there was a huge construction boom in the '20s.

If those buildings have huge gorgeous prewar apartments with hardwood floors and millwork to die for, then I think there are better buildings (like big historic houses) in Y-Town that are more worthy of being saved. But that's just my $0.02.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:35 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
"What do investors have to gain by NOT maintaining their property?"
A belief that doing so will result in a higher ROI.
Simple as that.

Yeah. And at some point, the building is worth nothing, or it's worth actually less than nothing if the owner must incur costs to have it demolished. The value of the property is then the value of the land only, so why put any money into the decayed building(s) on it. There are lots of vacant old buildings in Youngstown, and all over the towns and cities of the Rust Belt, for that matter. Too bad we can't pick them up and move them to some locale where they would be restored, appreciated, and used. It saddens me that ancestors built buildings with pride to last generations or the ages, but in maybe only 75-120 years, these great gifts are reduced to crumbling ruins and abandonments. (While we flee to cheap little houses out in the former cornfields and cow pastures of muddy and massively-inconvenient formerly-rural B.F.E.)

Old 11-03-2015, 07:42 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,715 times
It appears..the LAND is far more important than the building much less those who reside there...It also appears..residents had no venue to hold owner's to what most would think would be part of the purchase agreement...NOPE..Thus Investors more than willing to let the residents and the building to decay..and then flip that to gain profit...What else is new?? Capitalism at it's finest!!

Old 11-03-2015, 08:14 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
some pics here, for those who are interested: City crackdown on code violations targets local landmark - The News Outlet

I think it's a weird-looking building that's the wrong look and scale for the neighborhood. The tower portion is downright ugly. The front part, the lower building, looks like it could be cleaned up well. But the whole thing looks like two disparate buildings, or like an original building with a tower added. Maybe that's what it actually was? I don't know Y-Town's history, except that there was a huge construction boom in the '20s.

If those buildings have huge gorgeous prewar apartments with hardwood floors and millwork to die for, then I think there are better buildings (like big historic houses) in Y-Town that are more worthy of being saved. But that's just my $0.02.
The whole building was originally designed to be 8 stories, but the front section was lowered to better fit the scale the neighborhood.

It's rumored that Jack Warner (Warner Bros.) even lived here at one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
It appears..the LAND is far more important than the building much less those who reside there...It also appears..residents had no venue to hold owner's to what most would think would be part of the purchase agreement...NOPE..Thus Investors more than willing to let the residents and the building to decay..and then flip that to gain profit...What else is new?? Capitalism at it's finest!!
Unfortunately, I think that would be a miscalculation on the owners' part. In both cases, I have a hard time believing the land would be worth more without the building. In the case of the larger building, all that's likely to be built in its place would be student housing, and I think it would be cheaper to rehab the existing building into student housing. In the case of the recently vacated smaller building, I think it's more likely that the land would just sit vacant, if the building were demolished.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:58 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
There's bound to be some sort of tax loophole or financial scam that benefits the owners.

Remember the S&L scam where they kept selling those properties back and forth to each other for ever higher amounts until the whole house of cards came down, leaving the S&Ls and the taxpayers on the hook for their film flam? The actual value of the properties and whether they were kept up or not made no difference. They were merely pawns not actual properties.

I suspect that is what is going on here.

Will the city be any help in condemning the building or ??

Old 11-03-2015, 11:02 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,973 times
My husband is from Mansfield Ohio and I've heard of Youngstown and think it isn't far from there. I know that Mansfield and places around there are depressed areas where factories have closed, business has left and property values have fallen to nothing. I read the article. I think the first paragraph explains a lot. They haven't paid the property taxes. Likely they owe more than it is worth now, can't sell it and don't want to put anymore into it and figure to just write it off as a loss and walk away from it is the best option.

I disagree with the poster that said its ugly. I think that's kind of a neat looking old building. Too bad really.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:02 AM

53 posts, read 48,366 times
Here is one possible scenario:

Creditor XYZ corp holds the mortgage and note on Parkway Towers with an unpaid balance totaling 700K.

Debtor (the entity who owes the 700K) may or may not be paying the mortgage and taxes.

Appraisal of the property comes back at 400K.

Creditor now has a possibly non performing loan on this property along with a 300K loss if they can sell it.

A business decision is made to cut all further loss to the investors.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:24 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
Interesting. Are there laws that force a property to be sold or improved when it gets to this situation? Perhaps maintaining the shell of the building is enough? Or do neighbors have a right to complain about potential vermin--six-legged, four-legged, and even two-legged squatters getting in, then spreading to the rest of the block?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate