U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 10:51 AM

25,876 posts, read 49,802,708 times

Advertisements

This is why you inspect... to know what is offered and to make an informed decision to go forward or withdraw.

The US has a lot of older housing stock... at one time asbestos was a sign of quality construction for it's fire resistance and stable properties.

The brokers here tend to check "Yes" on everything in the disclosure stating the age of the home... in some ways they go overboard but they are also protecting their position.

Sounds like this in not the home for you...

By the way during Asbestos mitigation it is often kept wet to prevent it from being airborne... with mold growing it sounds like air born asbestos is not likely...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 10:05 AM

1,417 posts, read 813,279 times
To the OP- welcome to real estate buying. You need to check your emotions at the door and treat this like a business deal.

Yes, you lost $275 on the inspection. That's life. No, you can't press criminal charges, and suing somebody over $275 would be perhaps the largest waste of time and money in the business (plus you'd probably lose anyway).

Going forward, just expect that anything 50+ years old will have asbestos somewhere in the house. In many places throughout the home, it doesn't even matter. I have asbestos shingles on my siding, and as long as I keep the place in decent repair, it poses zero health risks. You need to calm down about it. There is some asbestos that matters, and you can just negotiate to have it mitigated as part of the sale transaction. But much of what remains in terms of asbestos these days is of the type that doesn't pose any health risks unless you start tearing the house apart.

Oh, and stop facebooking the prior owners, that's creepy.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:41 PM

914 posts, read 702,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
To the OP- welcome to real estate buying. You need to check your emotions at the door and treat this like a business deal.

Yes, you lost $275 on the inspection. That's life. No, you can't press criminal charges, and suing somebody over $275 would be perhaps the largest waste of time and money in the business (plus you'd probably lose anyway).

Going forward, just expect that anything 50+ years old will have asbestos somewhere in the house. In many places throughout the home, it doesn't even matter. I have asbestos shingles on my siding, and as long as I keep the place in decent repair, it poses zero health risks. You need to calm down about it. There is some asbestos that matters, and you can just negotiate to have it mitigated as part of the sale transaction. But much of what remains in terms of asbestos these days is of the type that doesn't pose any health risks unless you start tearing the house apart.

Oh, and stop facebooking the prior owners, that's creepy.
If the OP wants to feel better, I lost $300 (first inspection on a contract that fell through) + $800 (second inspection and radon testing on a contract that fell through) + $675 (structural engineer on a contract that fell through). The second contract had foundation issues that the sellers admitted to knowing about later on (their realtor told us!!). It can be expensive testing older homes to find the right one. One thing I've learned is that even with all this money spent, it saved me potentially thousands in costly and potentially ineffective repairs. I finally paid $800 on my final third inspection report and radon testing for the home I have a contract on now.

$275 is cheap for an inspection. The only reason I paid $300 for the first contract's inspection is that he didn't write up the full detailed report and charged me a reduced price because I decided not to get the house based on my inspector's initial findings after we spoke to him.

Look at the inspection more like an insurance policy than a guarantee.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:44 AM

906 posts, read 1,174,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imactom View Post
This house is 50 years old so the chances are quite good it has asbestos and when he tested the air he confirmed there was asbestos. Im not worried about getting my earnest money back but someone selling a house and lying on the disclosure especially when it comes to asbestos is against the law. The seller put me and the inspector in harms way due to her own greed not to. If I knew about the asbestos I would have never shelled out $275.00 for an inspection had the seller been honest and said there was asbestos in the crawl,space in the first place. I'm on SS $275 is allot of money and I plan on getting it back. The current seller may have a sudden lapse of memory but the person who sold her the house is a dentist and I'm sure his memory works just fine.

I'm not looking at any kind of lawsuit other than to get my $275 back. if the Dentist attests he was aware of the asbestos and made sure the current seller knew of the asbestos than the current seller doesn't have much of a leg to stand on. If I can prove she knew about the asbestos through the dentist knowing I could have gotten cancer from the asbestos I'm going to push legal action be held against her she showed me no mercy I'll be damned if I'm going to show her any mercy
I'm sorry, but I smell BS on this. A general home inspector is not going to do air testing for asbestos. At most, he/she observed the asbestos in the crawlspace. As long as you do not disturb the asbestos, the health risk to you is minimal.

If you are so concerned about losing $275 while looking for a home to buy, you are in no condition to buy a home, especially one that is old. I spend 10x that a year just in home maintainence.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:47 AM

906 posts, read 1,174,499 times
...duplicate post, sorry.

Last edited by aus1ander; 11-11-2015 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: deleted duplicate post

Old 11-11-2015, 04:48 PM

628 posts, read 446,564 times
This is absurd. She didn't move out because of asbestos, the inspector did not test the air for asbestos (or that inspection would not have been $275), being next to asbestos for twenty minutes did not endanger your health. People live in houses full of asbestos and are fine as long as the asbestos is not airborn or visbly friable and/OR the exposure is not long term. The entire point of the home inspection is to prevent you from making a mistake and buying a home with hazards. Sounds like it did its job and was well worth the $275 it cost you. You could have saved that $275 and had no inspection and be thousands of dollars poorer. Look at it like insurance. Our last purchase we spent about $1500 in inspections including structural only to walk away when the sellers would not negotiate. Last I saw that house there was a backhoe in the backyard, better them than me.

In New England asbestos is everywhere and it is not uncommon for there to be a continuous chain of seller's concessions for asbestos remediation and then no remediation. Everyone just credits the next guy who buys the house like they were credited when they bought the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or