Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 06:06 AM

676 posts, read 936,740 times

Advertisements

When it comes to closing on a sale do I have to be there is person to close ? Probably a self-answering question but I don't want to ask anyone else than you all. It is an 18 hour drive to my new property and so far we have done everything by email. Call me stupid but I have to ask so I can arrange things so I can be there if I have to. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 07:08 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
No. There are several ways to do it. Talk to your realtor.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:12 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Ask your re agent, bank, and title company or anyone else involved in the transaction and see what they say. And if they say no, ask why and get it in writing.

It also may depend on state rules.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:28 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
Get in contact with the title company or attorney who is handling the closing; they'll give you specific instructions on what you or cannot do to settle on your home without being present. A power of attorney or "mail away" closing are options that might be available to you.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:52 AM

676 posts, read 936,740 times
Thanks, I didn't think there would be a way to do it. That's a big relief for me...

Old 11-10-2015, 11:28 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
I've done both. The worst is everyone at one table, omg! I've done it all electronically too, though those were foreclosures, but it went fine. Electronic is fastest and easiest. The big deal there is making sure the correct amount is wired to their account, correctly. We had to make sure it all happened by 1 or 2 pm.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:49 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,453 times
I've done deals in Maryland where the seller lived in Indiana. The title company simply mailed the package to him for signing and he had it notarized on his end. He mailed it back and we went to the settlement table.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:27 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
I have remote closings all the time. The escrow company hires a mobile notary, sends the notary all the documents. Seller signs, notary sends it all back. Same with buyers.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:46 PM

385 posts, read 345,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
I have remote closings all the time. The escrow company hires a mobile notary, sends the notary all the documents. Seller signs, notary sends it all back. Same with buyers.
Then the realtor sends the long-distance buyer the keys to the house in the mail?

Old 11-11-2015, 12:06 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
As a long time investment property broker, I have done many transactions where the buyer or seller and sometimes both were nowhere near where the property closed was located. Simple to do. Any good title company who is guaranteeing the title can arrange it. You know it is being done right, as they are guaranteeing it was done right at closing putting up their money to guarantee it.

I once as an example had to drive 35 miles in a snow storm to deliver closing papers to a clients daughter. She then drove them to an airport 50 miles away to meet her sister to give her the papers to take to her parents. They were working in Iran when the Shaw was in power (American engineer). They met in Turkey (country) for Thanksgiving together. They were witnessed by the American Ambassador which the title company actually preferred over any Notary. They were returned under the same process a week later. The sale involved several properties, and my client exchanged 5 nice rental homes for a medical office building that had just been built. To work out the details of the transaction as the client could not even discuss business like this over the phone, his daughter would tell him on their weekly family phone call to call me. He then would fly on the company shuttle to London and we would work it out on the phone, then we would do something like this to close the sale. Sometimes he would have them mailed to the company U.S. office, where they would go to London on their mail shuttle, and would be hand delivered to him in Iran, where an American ambassador would witness the signatures. Go back out the same way and be mailed to me from the corporate headquarters in the U.S.

Just examples that you do not have to be there for the closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate