U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 10:58 AM

14,807 posts, read 18,805,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Am I being a grump? Or is it a little early for the full blown Christmas thing? My suggestion would be up no sooner than the first weekend in December, and down by January 10th.
Is anybody forcing you to put up your decoration?

Mine is up from November 1st to January 15th.
Don't like it, don't look at it.

Last edited by Dopo; 11-19-2015 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 12:35 PM

10,061 posts, read 9,309,886 times
Yup, you're being grumpy. I really love looking at Christmas lights, even at 40. My kids absolutely love lights. If people want to decorate their homes "just because" right now, so be it. I'm waiting until after Thanksgiving, but I just like to have my home decorated. It's festive, brings cheer, and looks nice. As for the jab about people using commercial services, feel free to string lights on the roof line if that's what you want to do. We don't want to do that. Thanks but no thanks.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:41 PM

10,061 posts, read 9,309,886 times
Oh, yeah. forgot to add - our Halloween pumpkins are still out on the front porch. We finally took the skeleton down, though.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:05 PM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I strongly dislike inflatables. The ones I see in my (middle-class) neighborhood usually are deflated within a week, and I think they look VERY tacky and cheap.
The first inflatables that came out -- the snow globes -- were a novelty at the time, and are still pretty cool. One neighbor has an inflatable alien in a Santa suit, which I appreciate. But most are just meh, and they look awful during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Oh, yeah. forgot to add - our Halloween pumpkins are still out on the front porch. We finally took the skeleton down, though.
How do you know when it's time to put up the Christmas decorations?

When the pumpkins on the front porch start to rot.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:29 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,573,172 times
A neighbor has their Christmas tree up. I can see it in the window when I drive by. Another neighbor that has since moved would put there tree up right after Halloween. I remember the first time I saw that and was amazed.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:13 PM

6,220 posts, read 7,398,023 times
The world keeps getting tackier. I remember when we used to walk down to the corner where a man was selling Christmas trees - fresh, fragrant, Christmas trees. We'd ask very politely when he wasn't busy if we could have some of the clippings that had fallen on the ground. He usually complied and we took them home, bent a wire hanger into a circle and tied the clippings on to make a wreath. There was no plastic.

Some people just had a big red bow on the door. But whatever it was, it was tasteful, calming, and in keeping with the beauty of the season.

The Christmas tree went up on Christmas Eve, after the little ones had gone to bed. Seeing the looks on their faces as they beheld the decorated tree with gifts around it was always one of MY favorite gifts. Because the tree was cut and shipped from somewhere way up north and shipped weeks before they were offered for sale, the sap had spent time drying up and combined with the heat in the house, the needles began to drop ever more rapidly as the week wore on. It was prudent to dismantle the thing as soon as possible after New Year's Day and get it out of the house with as little "drippage" as possible.

I still keep the decorations to a minimum. Not because I'm a Grinch, I just would rather KIS,S. I don't mind what the neighbors decide to do. It's a choice. You be you and I'll be me.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Good Festivus, Happy Kwanzaa, Splendid Solstice. Please don't take offense if I missed the one you celebrate.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:21 PM

17,568 posts, read 21,748,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR417303 View Post
This is yet another reason why I'm grateful for our more restrictive HOA. No outside Christmas decorations can go up before Thanksgiving and they have to be taken down by New Years. Keeps everything neat and predictable and you don't have to wonder when it's appropriate to put them up or take them down. I love the season and the decorations but it's nice to have some guidelines in place.
I could not live in your HOA because Christmas does not start until Advent. (we put our lights up the weekend after Thanksgiving) and it does not end until Epiphany. (Jan.6th) So, those rules strike me as strange.

I become sad when I see Christmas trees thrown in the street the day after Christmas.
All that work for nothing!

My family always kept the tree and decorations up through the end of Christmastide. The Christmas season.

White winter lights can look very nice and be cheerful and tasteful all winter. I would draw the line at anything like Christmas wreaths, colored lights, Santas and Nativity scenes.

I love seeing the other homes in my neighborhood decorated and bright. We have a family who really decorates to the hilt. Because they go all out, they start decorating in early November. But they do not light the display until Dec. 1st.

We also celebrate the last day of Christmas with a King's Cake. Why not celebrate the whole holiday?

http://www.crivoice.org/cyepiph.html

Old 11-19-2015, 06:06 PM

2,082 posts, read 4,547,416 times
There is a house in a nearby neighborhood that keeps their lights up all year and on every night. It's on a street with very few streetlights and several houses that look similar, makes the place easy to find.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:12 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,457,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl
We are known as the Griswalds of our neighborhood.
Excellent....I would LOVE to see your house

Old 11-20-2015, 07:49 AM

2,769 posts, read 1,572,824 times
I'd rather have them up in November than still up in February.

We don't do outdoor decorating, but we have a large (artificial - long story) tree, and I have a lot (really, too many, but I love them all) of glass ornaments. It takes me so long to get the tree up and decorated that I want to get the maximum time I can for enjoying it. I usually put it up the weekend after Thanksgiving and take it down the weekend after New Year's (unless New Years is a Friday or Saturday, then I do it the following weekend. But that's partly out of laziness rather than wanting to keep the decorations up.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate