U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 12:18 AM

35 posts, read 107,803 times
Default Feedback on a DR Horton Home

I just want to solicit feedback from owners of DR Horton homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 01:22 AM

3,689 posts, read 6,537,258 times
It depends on the state as to the quality of construction. They do not use the same contractors in every state, and the same workers. I know the framing company that does the framing here in Colorado, they do a pretty good job at it, as for the finish and other parts of the homes, I am unsure of. Check with the BBB in your area.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:08 AM

35 posts, read 107,803 times
We are in Fairfield California.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:30 AM

20,804 posts, read 29,215,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
It depends on the state as to the quality of construction. They do not use the same contractors in every state, and the same workers. I know the framing company that does the framing here in Colorado, they do a pretty good job at it, as for the finish and other parts of the homes, I am unsure of. Check with the BBB in your area.

One thing with the BBB is that they could have a clean record with the BBB yet have 100 lawsuits filed against them. If you are considering legal action you cannot file with the BBB--just keep that in mind. You are better off going to your state contractor licensing bureau to check for complaints against a builder.

As for DR Horton, around here are they are fine. They are a semi-custom builder here. They developed a neighborhood in our town and the houses are nice looking. They are a step up from the mass producers like Centex.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:13 AM

882 posts, read 2,140,753 times
In my area, DR Horton is a decent enough tract builder. In other areas they do build a more modest home. Here, there communities tend to be comparable with the CENTEX communities.

Again, it really depends on the subs who build YOUR home. Not the one next door, not teh one down the street, not the model.. but YOUR home. Things may have changed with the market slowdown, but when CENTEX and Horton were in their peaks here, there were various subs all over the place. As a result, at least in MY opinion, build quality suffered tremendously.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:31 PM

2,248 posts, read 5,577,484 times
Ain't that the truth! During the building frenzy I saw million dollar homes with work that I wouldn't accept in a home in the $150's. It all depended on the subs they were using. And my god, the way they rushed the build, not even allowing the concrete to set properly.
That said, DR Horton, in my area, was a pretty good builder.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:27 PM

133 posts, read 327,996 times
Default quality of homes

I work for a local government and talked with a few inspectors about new developers. One purchased a lower cost tract home from a mega developer. He told me that he was OK, but probably just because he was literally always on their tail with everything. The developers (and the subs) follow the path of least resistance.

I would be OK with the quality of a new house from a developer only if you are able to get on their tail about everything, stop by with frequent inspections etc...

Old 02-03-2008, 11:43 PM

41 posts, read 129,876 times
I am in California now, but I know that DR Horton is having financial problems all over the country and has pulled out of some communities that are not complete and sold the land to other builders who will not be building the same quality/level housing. They have also downgraded the housing i.e. upscale 3000+ s.f. homes to 1500 s.f. homes. Additionally, in the declining market they have slashed homes in one particular community by 150K on the same model home with significantly more upgrades than the more expensive homes. In other words, people paid $850K+ for a base model and now can buy the same model with lots of upgrades for mid 600K. Depending upon your area, the % of homes that are complete, etc. it may not be the best deal. But, it may also be a great opportunity depending upon how well you deal, and how long you are willing to stay.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:01 AM

5,112 posts, read 11,288,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solanoMan View Post
We are in Fairfield California.
a buddy of mine bought a horton home in so cal a while ago and he didnt like the initial quality. cheap materials and they slammed the house together in only 3 months. also had problems with DHI(their lender).

after the first year or so of getting warranty work and doing his own upgrades, the house is fine, but if you're looking for something of high initial quality and not having much work, i'd look elsewhere

Old 04-02-2008, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,953 times
Default The quality varies

We purchased a brand new DR Horton home in 2003. Everyone in our neighborhood has had a bucket load of problems with the quality. They cut so many corners when building our homes and yet charged a pretty penny. Not just small problems either. We have had water intrusion problems since the first year because code at the time of building our home didn't call for a water barrier behind the siding and brick. So if it's not code they don't do it and aren't ashamed about it either. Our self adhesive roof tiles blew off the first big wind we had. We still see roof peices all over our neighborhood after a strong wind. We could list many, many problems with our home big and small. My advice would be to ask about the construction from beginning to end and find out what they are going to skip and leave out to pad their pockets. Really I'm not sure they saved much with all the work they have had to come and redo to our home. They are still not finished and it's been 5 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate