U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 08:21 PM

3,260 posts, read 1,931,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinwva View Post
LoriNJ
Nobody knew. Evidently in WVA they don't have to tell you anything. The municipality's are exempt from everything. No laws to protect homeowners. Lobbyists (sp?) for the coal and fracking industry make sure of that. You get nothing if they destroy your home value. Their lawyers laugh at us. Could you think of much worse built with the main sewage intake 17" from my property line-lit up like the 4th of july-smelling and motors running 24/7?
This is a huge neighborhood 1400 houses. Nobody knew anything. My neighbors bought new 40 years ago and they had no clue. Beware in WVA.
How awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 07:30 AM

1,094 posts, read 760,981 times
There was not a thing wrong with my house and the only thing we changed was the carpeting.

We were foolish and bought a house with a side by side driveway and our next door neighbor welcomed us by saying angrily, This is not a communal driveway! That is yours and this is mine!

After 11 years here, I just found out he moved the property marker before we moved in, built a drain coming into my yard that not only drained water into my yard but also stopped all water coming down the driveways from entering his yard diverting it to mine.

I would have rather had house problems.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:58 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,711,018 times
Bought a house in Pa during the Winter. Snow on the roof. All during escrow it never melted. Ok, seller confirmed the roof was 4 -5 years old.

No wetness, so I was not concerned.

First week in the house it rained. The snow melted and the upper level of a bi-level home leaked bad!

I called a roofer. Turned out to be the one that put the roof on---4 YEARS AGO, BUT ONLY ON THE LOWER LEVEL. He said that he recommended doing the upper level too, but the owner did not have the $ and decided to wait.

It cost me $2500 in the end. The roof was $5000 as they had to take off the older layers, and I got back $2500 in court Judge 'prorated' the roof as I had a totally new one instead of a 5 year old one, for that half of the roof.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:53 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,024,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia12 View Post
Wouldn't this be possible with an infrared home inspection? I know they can be costly, but I wouldn't dare buying a house without having one done.

Edit: I am reading now that there are some limitations, as for instance the thermal camera not being able to detect old leaks. I guess we would have to wait for a rainy day to be able to detect a roof leak .
You're assuming all inspectors offer this and all buyers would want to pay more for an inspection.

I have a leak in a roof somewhere.....doesn't happen every single time it rains! So waiting for a rainy day is no guarantee.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:55 AM

31,153 posts, read 57,206,433 times
The only thing to expect when you buy a house is the unexpected. That's what owning a house is all about ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Do you people hire an inspector before purchasing these houses?

Does your inspector have X-ray vision? A crystal ball? Does s/he have the ability to predict noises made by. expansion/contraction, poltergeists or neighbors? Is s/he a meteorologist? LMAO...

Old 12-01-2015, 09:04 AM

1,399 posts, read 984,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
There was a barking dog in our neighborhood. All night long, bark, bark, bark.

Then one night we heard, bark, bark, bark, BANG!

Silence...
Sad and stupid solution. If this actually occurred then it is sad that an innocent dog suffered because of an ignorant and irresponsible owner.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:10 AM

1,399 posts, read 984,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We kept looking at the house but the renters wouldn't let us check one room. One day they did and the carpet was just nasty. No big deal we thought, just replace it. After we bought the place and ordered new carpet the carpet guys came out gagging and puking. I was in another part of the house painting. When I asked whats up they said the under layer was soaked and then it hit me. A guy lived in the room and he was a mechanic. Every night he smoked and drank until he passed out on a pad and was peeing/pooping his pants. It soaked through and was even in the concrete. 12 coats of kills later I finally got rid of the stench.

To this day I haven't told my kid about what her room was before she got it.
LMAO....did anyone else catch this? "and he was a mechanic" Yup, that explains why he decided to drink till he passed out every night resulting in him urinating and defecating in his pants. Well, if you are ever in an airplane or helicopter then think hard on your next trip. I might have been passed out drunk with my pants full of urine or crap the night before I worked on your ride!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or