Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:17 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times

Advertisements

I live off of a shared driveway. My neighbors and I have a mailbox at the end of the driveway, but on a public street. There are about 6 of us. We live in close proximity and we all get along.

One of the neighbors rented out his house. The renter parks his car on the public street, but blocking all of our mailboxes (they're in a row).

I happen to be friendly with the mailman. He has told me that if this neighbor continues to block the mailboxes, we will all have to go to the mailbox to get our mail. The mailman has left notes on this guy's car, told the guy in person, and told the guy's kid. The mailman has all of this documented. I look out this morning and idiot guy has blocked the mailboxes again.

Is there a way to force the guy to stop blocking the mailboxes? HOA is absolutely no help. The owner of the house has moved to out of state and I don't have any way of contacting him. The other neighbors are annoyed, but I don't know if they will do anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 12:21 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
Is there no other place the guy can park?

I could think of a few solutions, but they wouldn't be legal.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:23 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102;42067007 He has told me that if this neighbor continues to block the mailboxes, [B
we will all have to go to the mailbox [/b]to get our mail. .
You mean go to the post office?

If it's a public street where mail is delivered and parking is allowed, I would contact the post office and tell them that if the postal carrier does not want to get out of his truck that he will have to.

Is he blocking them so mail can't be put in or does the mailman not want to get out of his truck?

Is there a reason why he is parking there or is it just out of spite?

Talk to the HOA president and insist that they do something.

Can you have the mailbox moved or ask the post office to start delivery to each home?

Old 11-25-2015, 12:24 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Is it a situation where he can be towed?

Old 11-25-2015, 12:25 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,834,783 times
Call the cops, blocking a mailbox is illegal, he should get a ticket...

Old 11-25-2015, 12:28 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
If it's near the end of the street many towns have ordinances that you have to park 15 feet or so from the end of the intersection. Look into it and have him ticketed and towed or buy some yellow paint and go out at night and paint the curb.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:34 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Is there a way to force the guy to stop blocking the mailboxes?
If this is a Public Street where parking is not restricted, and your municipality does not have parking regulations prohibiting blocking postal mailboxes, the person is within their rights to park legally even if it blocks the mailboxes. If your carrier stops delivering mail to your box based on that legally parked car, contact the US Postal Inspectors and file a complaint against the carrier for unlawful delay of mail delivery citing Postal Operations Manual 632.14.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:35 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
You mean go to the post office?

If it's a public street where mail is delivered and parking is allowed, I would contact the post office and tell them that if the postal carrier does not want to get out of his truck that he will have to.

Is he blocking them so mail can't be put in or does the mailman not want to get out of his truck?

Is there a reason why he is parking there or is it just out of spite?

Talk to the HOA president and insist that they do something.

Can you have the mailbox moved or ask the post office to start delivery to each home?
The HOA probably can't do anything if it is a public street.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:04 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
I've never lived anywhere where you're allowed to block a mailbox. The mail is under federal jurisdiction. It doesn't matter that it's a public street, he's not allowed to park there.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:17 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
OK, lots of questions...I'll do my best to answer:

1) yes, it's a public street

2) the guy could easily park further down the street, he's lazy and doesn't want to walk. He also has space in his driveway, but the driveway's not convenient b/c the cars would have to be one in front of the other, not side by side.

3) the mailman has left notes on our mailboxes that say he does not have to get out of his vehicle and we are responsible for free and clear access or he will take all of our mail back to the post office and we'd have to go get it. Incidentally, he also won't deliver if there is ice & snow build-up. I routinely clear that (none of my neighbors do). I don't have a noet in front of me, but he does cite something---don't know if it's law or what.

4) HOA says it's a public street so outside of their jurisdiction.

5) I have tried asking the guy to not block the mailboxes. He's nice and agrees with me. Then blocks the mailbox any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate