Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 12:26 PM

70 posts, read 88,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo99 View Post
How about first sealing up your unit so it doesn't fill up with cigarette smoke? How old is this building? Older buildings tend to have lots of defects and small cracks throughout. It is because of situations like yours where it makes me leery of buying a condo unit and becoming a landlord. It could cause a ton of headache.
My condo was built in 1993
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 01:33 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,332,270 times
Omg it's only been 4 days! Just cut your losses. If he can't afford to move what the heck makes you think he'll actually pay whatever you sue him for by dragging this out.

If he trashes your apartment you'll regret this.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:38 PM

19,425 posts, read 27,793,477 times
Flower2014 - why on earth did you decide you should become a landlord? Easy money?

Old 12-02-2015, 01:42 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,609,950 times
All this talk about people being responsible for protecting someone from the cigarette smoke of others. It's not possible in the real world. People affected by cigarette or any smoke just need to protect themselves. Flower2014 cannot be responsible for protecting these con artists from every allergen and toxin in the air around us.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Omg it's only been 4 days! Just cut your losses. If he can't afford to move what the heck makes you think he'll actually pay whatever you sue him for by dragging this out.

If he trashes your apartment you'll regret this.
I can not make this man meet with me. He does not want to meet. I offer him a meeting. He does not want to go.

He never got to the table and negotiate. I am not in control of his actions.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:45 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,332,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
All this talk about people being responsible for protecting someone from the cigarette smoke of others. It's not possible in the real world. People affected by cigarette or any smoke just need to protect themselves. Flower2014 cannot be responsible for protecting these con artists from every allergen and toxin in the air around us.
I agree with this, but if I was the landlord I'm not going to keep renting to someone who doesn't want to be there. It's a liability. I'd rather cut my loses and know my property is protected than fight this guy.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I agree with this, but if I was the landlord I'm not going to keep renting to someone who doesn't want to be there. It's a liability. I'd rather cut my loses and know my property is protected than fight this guy.
I can't ask him to leave. He never came to the table to negotiate.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:54 PM

680 posts, read 714,899 times
What does your lease with him say? Are you only able to get him out for nonpayment of rent? or Do you have any other clauses in the contract to get him out?

If you only have the nonpayment of rent as the only way of getting him out then you are going to have to deal with him for at least a month. Long enough for him to say he has all kinds of health problems because of your rental.
You will be screwed.

Do what some of other posts are saying and tell him you'll let him out of the lease with no repurcussions. Maybe work out a deal with the security deposit.

You need a stable renter who isn't a nut. Its sucks being landlord.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:58 PM

679 posts, read 811,393 times
Sometimes its better to cut your losses. Offer him his security deposit back when he gives you the keys and is out.

You can always sue him for damages after you get the place re-rented and know how much he cost you.

The most important thing is getting him out of your property now.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
What does your lease with him say? Are you only able to get him out for nonpayment of rent? or Do you have any other clauses in the contract to get him out?

If you only have the nonpayment of rent as the only way of getting him out then you are going to have to deal with him for at least a month. Long enough for him to say he has all kinds of health problems because of your rental.
You will be screwed.

Do what some of other posts are saying and tell him you'll let him out of the lease with no repurcussions. Maybe work out a deal with the security deposit.

You need a stable renter who isn't a nut. Its sucks being landlord.
My attorney told me not to talk to him at all. If he has health problems he can come to me and tell me I want out lets negotiate.

I believe what happens was he found a cheaper place and thought how do I get out of this lease? So he says ok the smoke bothers me, I am going to sue you. I told him you can sue anyone, and no one can stop you. To avoid litigation LETS MEET with my attorney and we will find a middle ground.

I paid the attorney 1k just to come to the meeting

The tenant decides he does not want to meet. He sends me an email saying we will stay. I cant ask him to go because that will be retaliation for complaining about the smoke (which is illegal).

If you are so concerned about your health you would do ANYTHING to leave right? Then why do not come and meet and get to an agreement and LEAVE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate