Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 07:17 AM

107 posts, read 100,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Every area has specific noise ordinances. You should get a reading and then get them to put up something that helps muffle the sound. The night-time noise ordinance is easier to fight than the day-time one because the allowable decibel is lower at night.
Thanks for the tip, FalconheadWest. How would I get a reading? Is there a gadget that I could buy? (Sorry if I sound ignorant). My neighbors are very nice people. I've spoken to them twice over the years about this and they just look at me like I have 2 heads. I even talked to the Mayor's Assistant (the Mayor is another neighbor who lives just down the street and knows us all) and she said she would send someone out to check. This was at the end of last summer and then I had an emergency and didn't follow up. I assume next summer will be round 2.

It's funny because this neighbor is always complaining to me about the nerve of the others to park their boats across the street, backing up into the woods so they'll save on boat storage fees. It IS unsightly but it's funny what one person sees and is uncomfortable with and what the next person hardly notices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 07:23 AM

776 posts, read 745,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRRecruiter View Post
My wife and I have found our dream house, we hope, but are still nervous. Maybe there is something wrong with it that we don't see or hear by just walking through the house. It's a big commitment to buy and have to live there for five years to just break even.

Maybe there are barking dogs, or bad neighbors, or a motorcycle that roars it's engine right outside our window or thin walls (Townhouse).

As a seller, for a fee would you let a serious buyer rent the place for a while to see if they like it before they buy the place?
Always drive through your perspective neighborhood at night. That will tell you a lot about where you are going to live. Do this at various different times.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:27 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noccidoggo View Post
Thanks for the tip, FalconheadWest. How would I get a reading? Is there a gadget that I could buy? (Sorry if I sound ignorant). My neighbors are very nice people. I've spoken to them twice over the years about this and they just look at me like I have 2 heads. I even talked to the Mayor's Assistant (the Mayor is another neighbor who lives just down the street and knows us all) and she said she would send someone out to check. This was at the end of last summer and then I had an emergency and didn't follow up. I assume next summer will be round 2.

It's funny because this neighbor is always complaining to me about the nerve of the others to park their boats across the street, backing up into the woods so they'll save on boat storage fees. It IS unsightly but it's funny what one person sees and is uncomfortable with and what the next person hardly notices.
You would need a decibel meter, which requires training to read. There are decibel meter phone apps, but no telling how accurate they are.

This is not a problem that is easily solved. A/C compressors are usually loud enough to spoil outdoor relaxation, but not loud enough to violate local noise ordinances. In my experience, local ordinances typically apply to powered machines being used for commercial activity or amplified music, etc.

Your neighbor probably looked at you that way because he was thinking about how expensive it would be to try to move the compressor and reroute ductwork. If you wanted to pursue it, you COULD ask him to walk over to your patio when it is running and let him hear it for himself.

This really should be in a separate thread anyway. It reminds me of our old neighbor who always seemed to mow and use his leaf blower on Sunday evenings when we were trying to eat dinner on the back porch. There's no way you would know about something like that before moving into a house.

Have you checked your own compressor to see how loud it is?

Old 12-03-2015, 09:33 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Never. There are legal ramifications and no attorney would ever recommend it. If at the end of the week you didn't move out, you are now legally a tenant of that house and it's a whole can of worms.

Also what if you do damage there, who pays for that, and if you, how do they collect?

Just do your due diligence and take the plunge.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:49 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Buying any house involves some risk. No one is exempt from this risk. Do your best to mitigate before hand by doing research and becoming familiar with the 'hood.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:03 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noccidoggo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You would need a decibel meter, which requires training to read. There are decibel meter phone apps, but no telling how accurate they are.

This is not a problem that is easily solved. A/C compressors are usually loud enough to spoil outdoor relaxation, but not loud enough to violate local noise ordinances. In my experience, local ordinances typically apply to powered machines being used for commercial activity or amplified music, etc.
Yes, you need to buy a decibel reader. They aren't that hard to read, but then again, my husband is an engineer so he knew what the numbers meant. We had an issue with our neighbor's pool equipment and the pump running all the time and so loud. It's kinda like an AC compressor.

It was actually easy. We documented levels and then the city came out and did their own readings. Then they sent a letter to the home owner to do something about it. It was fairly easy. After that, we had an issue with the gas pumping equipment at the commercial property behind our house. That was harder because even though they agreed several times to fix the issue, they never did. We moved.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:09 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,157,843 times
I would. What is big deal. A lady in Florida did the opposite a few years ago. She sold the house but you had to agree to keep her.

Florida Woman Tries to Sell Herself and Home on Ebay, Sunshine State Remains Butt of Al...

Old 12-03-2015, 02:30 PM

896 posts, read 1,139,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRRecruiter View Post
My wife and I have found our dream house, we hope, but are still nervous. Maybe there is something wrong with it that we don't see or hear by just walking through the house. It's a big commitment to buy and have to live there for five years to just break even.

Maybe there are barking dogs, or bad neighbors, or a motorcycle that roars it's engine right outside our window or thin walls (Townhouse).

As a seller, for a fee would you let a serious buyer rent the place for a while to see if they like it before they buy the place?
ABSOLUTELY NOT! I wouldn't let you move in until AFTER closing!

Old 12-03-2015, 03:26 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,103 times
That's the dumbest idea ever. Wouldn't that also be something a potential renter of an apt or condo also be curious about? Can't see that ever happening. Tremendous risk to the owner.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:03 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Because..... YOU'RE INSANE? Why else would you even think a seller would want to do that? Unless it was a rent-to-own agreement. Even then you'd have to be half crazy to do a rent-to-own. I don't know...this whole things sounds crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate