Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 07:11 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,212,399 times

Advertisements

Some consumers want to use Realtors (brokers or agents). Some do not. Any consumer who wants to use a Realtor should know that they can get the same level of service from a firm that charges 3.9%, as one that charges 6%. And, assuming a 50/50 split, that 3.9% company would not charge you the buyer agency fee if you found a buyer on your own... so it would be .9% total.

Consumers have options - but most don't know about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 07:30 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Some consumers want to use Realtors (brokers or agents). Some do not. Any consumer who wants to use a Realtor should know that they can get the same level of service from a firm that charges 3.9%, as one that charges 6%. And, assuming a 50/50 split, that 3.9% company would not charge you the buyer agency fee if you found a buyer on your own... so it would be .9% total.

"Same level of service" - maybe. Same quality if service - I doubt it.

I don't select my professional service providers solely by what they charge. It's just one of the deciding factors.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:38 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,212,399 times
Quote:
"Same level of service" - maybe. Same quality if service - I doubt it.
Cost does not equal value - just because you pay more doesn't mean you get better service.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:56 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Cost does not equal value - just because you pay more doesn't mean you get better service.
I agree. But USUALLY the old adage rings true: You get what you pay for.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:39 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:

I would agree with you that just because one agent charges more than another that does not guarantee that the higher priced agent is better than the lower priced one. They could be equally bad at their job. Agents who do a good job are successful though and don't need to sell their services at a discount. In my experience, the agents who charge less are those which have less to offer you.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:53 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,848 times
About 8 years ago or so I sold my own home by using one of the "for sale by owner" websites and I listed it on "military by owner" as well. I recall that whatever fee I paid included all the top websites plus my local MLS. I just had to agree to pay a buyer's agent commission in order for it to be listed on the MLS. So yes, it can be done, I don't know the rules for your particular MLS however. The majority of the public shouldn't bother doing FSBO in all honesty but if you feel ready, willing and able-- then go for it.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:06 AM

194 posts, read 237,987 times
We are buying a FSBO that was listed on Craigslist and Zillow. It's been a stress free wonderful experience this far. Although, he has several rentals, has never lived in this home so he's not really attached to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate