Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a buyer, do you prefer staged homes?
I prefer vacant and empty houses. I want to see what I am buying. 57 35.85%
I can look at either vacant or empty homes, but I want minimal clutter. 36 22.64%
I prefer some staging to help me visualize the flow. 21 13.21%
I strongly prefer staged homes, with decor items, and furniture in most rooms, to bring out the best features of the house. 9 5.66%
I couldn't care less about vacant or staged. 36 22.64%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 07:18 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times

Advertisements

Just a quick poll on staging.
Sellers are told that staging delivers higher prices and helps buyers visualize a house.
I often wonder how much of a premium buyers are willing to pay for a highly staged house.

If you were looking for a new home, would you prefer staged houses, or vacant, empty houses?
Let's assume that either way, the house is clean and has reasonably acceptable style and appointments and features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 07:36 AM

311 posts, read 634,446 times
I prefer vacant empty homes. I like to see where outlets and heating vents are. It's easier to make sure the floor is in good shape and nothing is being hidden. Sometimes furniture is blocking a window so it's hard to get a look at that.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:11 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
I voted for minimal clutter. Perhaps I'm unusual, but I am influenced in a positive way by homes that show that the owner put a lot of thought and 'love' into their home--how it is decorated, furniture layout, etc. This suggests that the house was well maintained. It is also easy for me to see the potential in an empty home, for the most part. However, I think staging would be useful in a large newer home with a wide open floor plan, in that certain furniture arrangements could be very appealing but not intuitive. Especially when there is a corner fireplace or no obvious place for the television.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:15 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Empty.

I can spot a staged home from a mile away, and I usually end up distracted by the choices the stager made.

But I can look past most anything except a Hoarders-type situation.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:18 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,255 times
I am only a buyer. I think it would be best to hear from RE agents.

My impression has always been that a nicely staged home enhances its appeal. Just like a nicely dressed person. Or a nicely decorated lobby or waiting room.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:20 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
I had a vacant house staged last summer. We had multiple over asking price offers in one weekend. After the appraisal, I had the furnishings removed. Five days before closing, on a Thursday, Buyer lost their job and could no longer qualify for a new loan.

Before I could get the staging items put back, I had the house on the market for the same price. I had two offers over the weekend - both under the asking price. The house was staged on Monday. I had two offers on Tuesday, both over asking. We had countered each over the weekend offer and neither had accepted our counterproposal.

Some buyers have a hard time imagining their furnishings in a new place. I believe staging helps them picture a new life here, in this space.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:23 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Mike, I went with I prefer some staging to help me visualize the flow. I easily admit that I have zero imagination for 'seeing' what isn't right in front of my eyes.
But going back to your OP, you asked "how much of a premium buyers are willing to pay for a highly staged house." My thought is that I wouldn't pay more for a staged house. But a staged house might make me more likely to buy that specific house because I was able to visualize living in it better than an empty house.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:33 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Mike, I went with I prefer some staging to help me visualize the flow. I easily admit that I have zero imagination for 'seeing' what isn't right in front of my eyes.
But going back to your OP, you asked "how much of a premium buyers are willing to pay for a highly staged house." My thought is that I wouldn't pay more for a staged house. But a staged house might make me more likely to buy that specific house because I was able to visualize living in it better than an empty house.
If a seller is working off a Net Proceeds goal (as all sellers should) buyers definitely foot the cost of staging. That makes it hard to identify the premium they are paying, but for sure, it is in the price.
stage your house to sell for top dollar - Bing=

2bindenver illustrated that with her post. Buyers paid more for staging, which they don't get to keep or resell.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:38 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
I always skipped listings with photos of homess that were obviously staged. If the seller is going to lie about how they actually live in the home, they will lie about other things that are much more important.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:43 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times
As a buyer, I could care less either way. That being said, I have had an incredibly positive feedback when I sell my own homes which I always stage myself beforehand. Shoot, my last house sold after about an hour on the market and they wanted it all, the curtains, the furniture, etc. As to price, my last house is still the highest any house had sold for in that neighborhood so I must admit, something I did worked.

To be honest, I think I actually love getting those houses that are either staged horribly or have some decor defect that others can't look beyond. Usually this garners me a great deal and that house will languish on the market when it's nothing more than a few decor issues that must be fixed. I've also gone the full fixer upper routine (ugh!) when I've bought and staging was the last thing on their mind. So perhaps staging or really lack thereof does make a difference to me because someone that chases off buyers with their decor nightmares tends to mean a good deal to me since I can see past the mess.

On the other hand, I always, always, always stage my house when selling but never how a "pro" stager would do it (e.g. minimal everything, neutral everything, etc). I prefer my houses to look like they stepped out of a magazine (totally unrealistic way to live by the way). So, I tend to style my rooms more than anything else. People love that crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate