Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 10:30 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,801,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
Why even bother with your insult to the OP? Trolls like you are unbelievable.

The OP is a well known troll on CD. As you can see the OP screen name on this thread is already not a member. That's his MO. He pops in with a new screen name every few weeks.

He is one of the biggest trolls on this site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 11:22 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,248,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
The OP is a well known troll on CD. As you can see the OP screen name on this thread is already not a member. That's his MO. He pops in with a new screen name every few weeks.

He is one of the biggest trolls on this site.
Hmmmmm....

Old 12-29-2015, 10:09 PM

206 posts, read 238,382 times
Got opportunity to live in new build (3bed/3bath/3car), edge of town and small suburb of 1950s homes.

Codependent rug-rats are very loud & home too much in new builds, children in 1950s neighborhood were usually working. Cannot report on 'party scene' as this suburb does not allow these. Edge of town did not have any strange ones. Bad sign when 'normals' are notable with so many nutty people in my community.

Sadly, police have different ideas, here at least. New builds are being left alone to keep contractors working in some really sick communities while anyone who tries to move to 'used' housing may be subjected to hazing of repeat vandalisms, pentagrams/swasticks, theft, scams and trespassing. Sadly, this situation and the bad policing that makes it possible is really common and big barrier to relocating after you think you lived in the wrong place, as problem just keeps following you if you discuss it or complain about something 'wrong'.

Did try iffy area and found out military was scared out of area by groups of teens harassing new adults, called gang stalking. Found out sometimes people are killed if they remain in neighborhood with this happening and they try to live alone. Is useful to mention this sign of trouble. Do not even answer the kids aloud, just keep walking. You will be okay to finish whatever work you are doing and leave but try to remain to live there and sometimes it can get people killed.

With exception of drug activity and gang stalking, poor neighborhood was more respectful with less vandalism and theft (if you do not look flashy)...new builds can really be a mess with these rugrat kids who cannot work because the community has deemed this generation a fast food/retail generation and not fit to work in job that will support them.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:50 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,109,847 times
There is something to be said for owning a paid for or nearly paid for home that you bought at the bottom of a crash even if you have to carry a gun. Not having to worry about your mortgage if you are laid off is priceless and you will sleep like a baby through the drug violence outside. I see these people in fear every day because they bought into these neighborhoods that were outrageously expensive. When your boss lays you off they are effectively taking your house away, no gang banger has that much power over me (99.9% of the time they are not going to kill you if you look hard and carry and don't get into their business).

If you are not involved in the drug deals and you don't look and act like a twit then no one will mess with you. Learn to speak Russian and look hard but refined and call your Russian buddy with the window down near the liquor store and you will be fine. I also have more respect for people that settle disputes with violence than hiding their soft weak bodies behind lawyers.

Also gang bangers know they can get a lot of time for shooting you (you keep the pistol for the idiot mugger), employers on the other hand have absolutely no social accountability and little to no consequences for firing someone.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 12-30-2015 at 05:11 PM..

Old 01-02-2016, 09:15 AM

667 posts, read 1,847,622 times
I wouldn't want to live in a place with crime worries, but reading this thread made me realize why the nicer manicured neighborhoods I looked at while house hunting gave me the heebie jeebies! To think that neighbors might be behind closed doors quietly fuming because I park my car in the driveway, and not the garage.

On my street, there are a few rentals, and some cars on the street. The town has beautiful streets, but mine has some rentals, perhaps because we have a highway at the end. All the streets that open to the highway are a bit less expensive. One side of town is more run down (or, less expensive) , but I don't live there, although I did make some offers. Everyone seemed nice throughout the town.

It makes me feel comfortable that I don't have to be perfect. My one nieghbor, a retired metal worker, wears his bathrobe outside to smoke in his driveway or the street all hours of the day. So now I feel comfortable (once in a while) to wear my wooly robe to sit and drink coffee on my front porch as the sun breaks through.

I am a quiet professional (college science professor) but I don't obsess about my appearance, so I just have brown shoulder length hair with a few gray streaks, sometimes pulled back with a simple band. Thank God I fit in, and I don't have to worry about neighbors who might feel I look lower class! I don't wear designer clothes on the weekend!

My street had one horribly run down house, a few others needing maybe a paint job with a bit of cracked driveway and others that are fixed to the nine. I bought the horror (one hundred years old, with good bones) I spent many thousands to put all cedar siding and trim, and new windows, new front porch, sidewalk and driveway (actually, the township required that when the house changed ownership, but they didn't require the cedar or expense) So I feel my neighbors got an upgrade.
But that's it!! I don't use a weedwacker, and I use clippers. I purchased a rotary lawnmower (the old fashioned kind without an engine, just blades) I like the non manicured look. I plant ten different kinds of flowers willy nilly, overflowing all the beds, and more in pots on my porch. I hang my Christmas lights to be happy and festive, not high class. I notice some lawns are perfect, some don't seem mown at all, so I'm in the middle.

I posted a thread earlier about how my contractor made me feel bad about sitting on my front porch (and he had built me beautiful country front porch) (he had suggested I should build a back patio if I wanted to sit outside) but now there are a few more rentals and a gas station going in caty corner to the end of my street, with construction workers about all the time, so I don't feel a tiny bit uncomfortable about sitting on my front porch. Thank God, because I love it.

Btw, while I waited for the housing bubble to burst, I bought a cheap, cheap condo in a sanctuary city. Every night I came home to little Ecuador. My neighbors held outside get togethers and brought me tomatoes from their little gardens. One memory is the four or five single men who lived above me (they of course had families back home) who sang in the evening on their back balcony in harmony. Spanish favorites, but also opera. They worked for a landscaper and brought me flowers for my garden.
In general, it is a beautiful street in a nice town, but no one has made me feel bad for not being perfect, which I'm not, but instead everyone has been kind and welcoming. I'm glad to have my neighbors.

Last edited by Karen59; 01-02-2016 at 10:26 AM..

Old 01-02-2016, 09:53 AM

667 posts, read 1,847,622 times
In case my neighbors are reading, I do realize I live on a nice street in a nice town. Also, they aren't Anderson. I'm trying to hide my identity, but probably not successfully. But there are some nice things about opening to the highway! And not living in a snobby manicured town. By the way, my neighbors are great.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:07 AM

20 posts, read 47,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Charm Style View Post
IN GENERAL if I bought a home in a lower middle class neighborhood would I expect neighbors to be worse than a middle class or upper middle class area? I can buy a nicer home in these areas for the money but wonder if there would be more crime, noise, etc.

Again I am talking about a lower middle class neighborhood, not a ghetto.
Hi, It depends on the neighborhood. I looked into the same thing when I purchased my home. I ended up going with the forclosure in the lower middle class neighborhood. I did my research and knew that the neighborhhod was up and coming and being revamped so that would mean my resale value would be higher and that is the case. One thing that we also did was visit the neighborhood at different times of days and nights to get a feel for it before we made an offer. No regrets here.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:28 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
The problem with people parking in the street is this: in Ohio, we get snow. Sometimes a lot and snow plows have to plow the residential streets. Idiots who refuse to park in their garage or even their driveway, also refuse to get their car off the street for the plows to have room. That effected me all the time. I had a weird wall of snow right before and after my driveway. Our street could never get cleared properly.

Easy fix, just prohibit overnight parking. In Michigan, local ordinances are common which prohibit street parking between 3AM and 5AM.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:40 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,109,847 times
There are 320 million people in the USA you are probably fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen59 View Post
In case my neighbors are reading, I do realize I live on a nice street in a nice town. Also, they aren't Anderson. I'm trying to hide my identity, but probably not successfully. But there are some nice things about opening to the highway! And not living in a snobby manicured town. By the way, my neighbors are great.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:10 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,248,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Easy fix, just prohibit overnight parking. In Michigan, local ordinances are common which prohibit street parking between 3AM and 5AM.
I agree. In Cleveland, where I was raised, it is exactly like that. But Columbus....nope. They are too stupid to think of something that smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate