U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:47 PM

21 posts, read 179,697 times
Default Writing off closing costs?

I closed on a house last year where the seller paid all of my closing costs. I was told by a few different people that even though they seller paid for my closing costs, I can still write them off for my taxes this year. Is this true? Does anyone have any links to some credible places that say this is correct? I'd like to make sure before I open myself up for an audit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 03:23 PM

2,240 posts, read 6,634,344 times
i have never heard of anyone being able to write off any closing costs...my husband is a finanical advisor and he has never heard of that either-regardless of who paid for it.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:33 PM

270 posts, read 861,054 times
Maybe they mean points to pay down the interest rate that are paid at closing. I am not sure who can claim them though.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:41 PM

I guess I should have checked first. Indeed mortgage points (and interest if applic.)are tax deductible. And yes they can be claimed by the buyer and only by the buyer even though the seller might have paid them. Of course there are certain conditions and here is a good and updated link
Home loan points may be deductible (Page 1 of 3)

Old 02-04-2008, 04:17 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,842,232 times
You can write off any origination fee and/or discount points EVEN if the seller paid them.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:05 PM

26,635 posts, read 18,617,030 times
You can only write off what actual money YOU spent on anything. IRS says so. You cannot take credit for someone elses paying.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:51 PM

2,291 posts, read 3,834,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
I closed on a house last year where the seller paid all of my closing costs. I was told by a few different people that even though they seller paid for my closing costs, I can still write them off for my taxes this year. Is this true? Does anyone have any links to some credible places that say this is correct? I'd like to make sure before I open myself up for an audit.
I've never heard of a buyer being able to claim closing cost if the seller paid it. The seller will be claiming this on their taxes I assure you... so it can't be done twice???

Old 02-04-2008, 06:37 PM

21 posts, read 179,697 times
Seems like there is a lot of conflicting thoughts about this. Although, the website haberstroh linked above states what I have seen on other sites, which is that regardless who pays the closing costs, it is the buyer that gets to claim it.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:46 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
You can write off the origination fee (usually 1 point) and the discount points if the seller paid any (to buy down the rate). I was quite nicely surprised by this, too.

Tax Topics - Topic 504 Home Mortgage Points

TaxAlmanac - Points Paid by Seller

Homeowner Tax Tips - Quicken Loans

Points, IRS and Tax

Rest assured, there's absolutely no doubt about it.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:46 PM

I guess we have to go to our favorite website irs.gov to find the answer. This article explains it pretty well.

Tax Topics - Topic 504 Home Mortgage Points
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate