Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 10:08 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times

Advertisements

Take a piece of paper. Write "I hereby reject the offer of (amount) dated (date) for the property located at (address)" sign your name. Give it to RE agent and tell him "Here's your rejection for your files."

I'm not a lawyer, but I will be staying at a Comfort Inn in a couple of weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 11:16 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
In NV the standard Residential Purchase Agreement has three blocks...accept, accept subject to counter and Reject. One would sign and mark reject. I am not aware however of any requirement that the seller has to sign. I would suggest they at least sign and mark reject but if they did not I would simply right across the page "Rejected by Seller ON XX/XX/xxxx".

I find no fault with the agent asking for some reimbursement on an early cancel. There are real though small costs involved. I would not in general - just cross it off to good client relationships.

I suspect our OP here is a middle man not getting the story fully straight. Could be a poor quality agent but could also be good old communication break down.

I am also curious...is there really a state with a 23 page purchase agreement? Ours is bad enough at 11 pages. Or is that actually a package with a set of disclosures added?

Old 12-19-2015, 11:21 AM

5 posts, read 6,538 times
Thank you for your responses.
We will go on Monday to visit his office and talk to his broker.
If his broker says this is wrong (signing purchase agreement and using other name for it) then that's something serious.
There are also some other things I didn't have time to write here.

But can he really charge my sister for finding 3 low offers ?
She didn't get asking price , or anything close to that.

Last edited by DiMarcos_Denver; 12-19-2015 at 11:57 AM..

Old 12-19-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
In NV the standard Residential Purchase Agreement has three blocks...accept, accept subject to counter and Reject. One would sign and mark reject. I am not aware however of any requirement that the seller has to sign. I would suggest they at least sign and mark reject but if they did not I would simply right across the page "Rejected by Seller ON XX/XX/xxxx".

I find no fault with the agent asking for some reimbursement on an early cancel. There are real though small costs involved. I would not in general - just cross it off to good client relationships.

I suspect our OP here is a middle man not getting the story fully straight. Could be a poor quality agent but could also be good old communication break down.

I am also curious...is there really a state with a 23 page purchase agreement? Ours is bad enough at 11 pages. Or is that actually a package with a set of disclosures added?

There is so much to explain here and I don't have time for that

When my sister found this agent (using web search, she is 67 y old ) she told him she will not go below 300k for her house. She said in case they don't get any offer for that price in 1 month she will pull off her house from market. And off course , nothing of that was in writing. Just basic RE contract between her and him.

But,

She got involved in a car accident after 10 days and her recovery will be 2 months.

Because of that, AND because she does not like this agent anymore she decided to pull off her house.

I have never sold any real estate in my life and I'm not expert.

I called on her behalf 2 RE attorneys and they charge 2-300$ hour.

I saw immediately something was not right when she told me agent is asking to sign rejection offer only for investor offer and not for other ones. Investor is his friend , he told her that even before offer was made ( he said on first day that he has some investors who will probably buy her house, but he didn't mention it will be for lower price).
And he is asking now to sign it when house is off the market (for 55 days!!)

Why he wants that? Why signing it is so important? I cant imagine he wants her to sign (hoping she does not know what is that) and then say "look, you signed it and now you MUST sell your house".
I just can not imagine that scenario. Or maybe there is something else we don't know

Old 12-19-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMarcos_Denver View Post
There is so much to explain here and I don't have time for that

When my sister found this agent (using web search, she is 67 y old ) she told him she will not go below 300k for her house. She said in case they don't get any offer for that price in 1 month she will pull off her house from market. And off course , nothing of that was in writing. Just basic RE contract between her and him.

But,

She got involved in a car accident after 10 days and her recovery will be 2 months.

Because of that, AND because she does not like this agent anymore she decided to pull off her house.

I have never sold any real estate in my life and I'm not expert.

I called on her behalf 2 RE attorneys and they charge 2-300$ hour.

I saw immediately something was not right when she told me agent is asking to sign rejection offer only for investor offer and not for other ones. Investor is his friend , he told her that even before offer was made ( he said on first day that he has some investors who will probably buy her house, but he didn't mention it will be for lower price).
And he is asking now to sign it when house is off the market (for 55 days!!)

Why he wants that? Why signing it is so important? I cant imagine he wants her to sign (hoping she does not know what is that) and then say "look, you signed it and now you MUST sell your house".
I just can not imagine that scenario. Or maybe there is something else we don't know
In general of course this has lots of lessons.

For instance sellers asking price is always rock solid until it isn't.

Signing a contract for more than 30 days when you will not go past 30 days makes little sense. At the very least you add a cancel on seller request.

If the Purchase Agreement has no reject clause she should not sign it of course. That just sounds a little unlikely given such contracts generally have a reject clause of some sort.

Let us know how it comes out. Be very interested in what the brokerage has to say.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
In general of course this has lots of lessons.

For instance sellers asking price is always rock solid until it isn't.

Signing a contract for more than 30 days when you will not go past 30 days makes little sense. At the very least you add a cancel on seller request.

If the Purchase Agreement has no reject clause she should not sign it of course. That just sounds a little unlikely given such contracts generally have a reject clause of some sort.

Let us know how it comes out. Be very interested in what the brokerage has to say.

lvoc , I see you are from NV, can you tell me please on which page in NV purchase agreement form you can find reject clause ?

I Found NV purchase agreement form online and want to compare it to our form that agent sent her to sign.

I just want to see what words they are using in that form (reject or accept and where is that located)

Old 12-19-2015, 12:30 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
We've turned down offers in several states and never once had to sign a rejection form.

Why would there need to a form signed to reject an offer? You just don't sign their offer?

Am I missing something here?

Old 12-19-2015, 01:09 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Don't sign anything!
And, yes, you will have to pay for legal advice. But, isn't that better than leaving $20+K on the table?

Old 12-19-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMarcos_Denver View Post
lvoc , I see you are from NV, can you tell me please on which page in NV purchase agreement form you can find reject clause ?

I Found NV purchase agreement form online and want to compare it to our form that agent sent her to sign.

I just want to see what words they are using in that form (reject or accept and where is that located)
Here is the exact language from page 12 of the GLVAR RPA. Note there are Check boxes on line 20, 23and 25 that don't copy as they are active objects in this electronic form.

Quote:
20 ACCEPTANCE: Seller(s) acknowledges that he/she accepts and agrees to be bound by each provision of this Agreement, and
21 all signed addenda, disclosures, and attachments.
23 COUNTER OFFER: Seller accepts the terms of this Agreement subject to the attached Counter Offer #1.
25 REJECTION: In accordance with NAC 645.632, Seller hereby informs Buyer the offer presented herein is not accepted.

AM PM
Seller's Signature Seller's Printed Name Date Time
AM PM
Seller's Signature Seller's Printed Name Date Time

Old 12-19-2015, 02:24 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Notify the office broker, that your sister cancels the listing and wants no more contact with this office, and with any more contact and this agents bully tactics, that she will send a formal complaint to the States Office that Licenses Real Estate Agents, and to the State Association Of Realtors.

No office ever wants formal complaints to the licensing office, and to the State Association Of Realtors. It can lead to them losing their Realtor membership and their real estate licenses.

There is no need to hire a lawyer. The agent has not presented an acceptable contract so has not earned a commission for themselves and the office. The state agency and the state association are more problems for them than having a lawyer send a letter and they know it. For advice how to handle this, you can call the state association and ask them how to handle this problem.

Your sister has a very sleazy Realtor who is desperate for a sale and commission, and he/she should be driven out of the business as it gives all Realtors a bad name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate