Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 05:35 AM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
People with a realtor aren't running around looking at houses for funsies. It's a lot of work. Maybe you're getting lookers from the MLS but no takers because of something else. Given how you view all the buyers that come in, maybe you have ambitious plans for how much the house is worth vs what a buyer is actually willing to pay.
So you aren't aware that some realtors take family and friends to see the house in order to make it look like they are getting showings? There are also realtors that work with buyers where they appear to be working to get the price down and representing the buyer, not the seller. You really need to learn a lot more about the quirks that can be involved. Our neighbor was going out with his realtor friend looking for houses to create showings. A realtor is a salesperson and they need listings and showings, real or otherwise to keep business. Let's them say "It isn't me, it's you/your house."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seller7 View Post
They are looking with no intention of buying. Ok maybe not for fun, but they are going out looking to see if they should think about listing their house in the spring. That is not a real buyer. Maybe looky loo is a harsh word...perhaps researchers is a better word. I wish they would do their researching at the open houses.
No, you were right. We have sold 4 houses. Some people see a house on the market and just like to look. They are often looking for years for just that "right" house and then still never buy. You can kind of tell when the realtor brings some of them because the realtor looks like they just can't take it anymore which is a good indication of "lookers". You can also tell the people seem to be having "fun" and viewing with the intention of buying isn't all that much fun.

Realtors used to be better when there were more buyers in locations where we were. They would actually make sure the potential buyer had done some leg work so that "pending" became "sold". So many buyers don't qualify for a loan, even a basic chat would reveal that to the realtor.

Do not give up and rent out your current house since they always get around to suggesting that since there are usually more people looking for rentals than houses to purchase anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 05:36 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
We've had our house on the market for three months. We've had about 15 showings. Our price is right.

Problem, I don't know if I can do any more showings.

Our house is lived in. Kids, a dog, busy schedule. We live here. Hard. I can't keep up with it in between to keep it show-ready. Also because the showings are usually on the weekends, it's not worth it keeping it perfect all week. Don't get me wrong, it is always clean and hygienic, always. But that is a huge difference from show-ready.

So I get the call the day before. This could be the one! Let the cleaning begin! And it's not even the cleaning, because I would have to do that any way. It's making it look all perfect. It's hiding our stuff and the dog bowls and putting out the fake fluffy towels and trying to make my very lived-in house look like a hotel. And she cleans up nice, the old girl. And I'm a good stager. But my muscles, I feel like I got hit by a truck.

Then the showing day. I have to somehow get the house perfect, I'm sweating, then we have to load the kids and the dog into the car and go drive around for two hours, by the time we leave ahead of time and because so many people are late.

Then the buyers....or should I call them the fake buyers. I already wrote a thread about them but most of them have a house to sell that isn't even on the market yet. GET OUT OF MY HOUSE YOU LOOKY LOO

Oh hey move-upper, you bought a ranch in 2007 for 500K and you want to move up into my house now and of course, your house will sell days after you put it on the market, uh huh. Oh and you need the equity out of your house (psst it's gone) to buy this one. Go to open houses you, go. Or better yet, go watch House Hunters.

Oh hello downsizer. Oh yeah, your house is worth 2 million? When? Back in 06? Sure. And you want to see what's out there before you sell your big bloated house. I got an idea, why don't you stay in your big house because you're never getting 2 million for it.

Oh hey a renter! This should be promising, a renter actually needs a house right? Oh, your lease is up in fall of next year. Great, thanks for playing. I'd love to know what downpayments these people have.

We've talked to our realtor about screening more diligently, and I do believe she is trying, but the agents know all of the tricks about what to say so it's not going that well. We did put off a third showing from someone who had a house to sell first, so progress there I guess.

I need a break from this. Maybe I'll just rent after this is over so I never have to do this again. I don't even want to own a house anymore. Any house.

The key takeaway? 3 months, 15 showings, no offers. Your price is not right. It is too high. Everything else is noise.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:27 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Yeah, I know, has to be shown to sell. Darn.

As to the time of the year, you know, I'm starting to think the opposite...that "buyers" this time of year are actually people who are thinking about selling their own house and/or buying. I'm thinking the real buying starts in the spring when people start gearing up to be somewhere in time for the next school year.

I think that's when it happens. There are a few job transfers and so forth around the holidays, but most people are probably getting geared up to put their house on the market in March.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:29 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
The last time we went through this I got so fed up! agents would call with 15 minutes notice, while I'm home alone with 2 kids under 3 years old. Or we would bust a$$ to get everything tidied up and get out of the house only to have them be an hour late, and just be arriving when we get home; or sometimes we'd find out they never came while we stayed away for an hour.

I was finally so over it, that I said "no" to a showing one evening. They ended up coming back the next day and making an offer.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:49 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:

I don't know how people do it. We have lived in our house for 34 years. I always say we have always stayed here because we are too lazy to have our house "ready to sell".

Good luck to you--I hope it sells soon.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:53 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The key takeaway? 3 months, 15 showings, no offers. Your price is not right. It is too high. Everything else is noise.
Three months seems a fair amount of time to test the market. If your home is looks good, then the price is too high for the market right now.

As to the mad dash of cleaning followed by the disappointment of not receiving any offers, I would suggest making life easier on yourself. If your home is basically clean, come up with a 45 minutes list of things to do before showings and stick with that.

"Show towels" are not to be touched. The rest of the towels got pitched in the wash machine.

Cleaning wipes (Costco has larger ones, some with wee "scrubbing" nubs) used on sinks, tubs, counters, and toilets for a quick spiffy and nice clean aroma.

Floors vacuumed. Dogs, bowls and beds removed.

The easiest way to deal with kid mess is to seriously declutter. Get rid of everything that doesn't bring joy. Pack up and put in storage anything you don't plan to use within the next two months.

Pack up your photo albums, holiday decorations, summer clothes, good china, toys and kitchen gear you aren't using now, anything you want to keep but don't plan to use the next two months. Haul it all to a storage unit.

Your home will look more spacious and you'll have less to fool with with the mad rush is on.

Plus, when your house sells, you'll be ready to go.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:08 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Three months seems a fair amount of time to test the market. If your home is looks good, then the price is too high for the market right now.

As to the mad dash of cleaning followed by the disappointment of not receiving any offers, I would suggest making life easier on yourself. If your home is basically clean, come up with a 45 minutes list of things to do before showings and stick with that.

"Show towels" are not to be touched. The rest of the towels got pitched in the wash machine.

Cleaning wipes (Costco has larger ones, some with wee "scrubbing" nubs) used on sinks, tubs, counters, and toilets for a quick spiffy and nice clean aroma.

Floors vacuumed. Dogs, bowls and beds removed.

The easiest way to deal with kid mess is to seriously declutter. Get rid of everything that doesn't bring joy. Pack up and put in storage anything you don't plan to use within the next two months.

Pack up your photo albums, holiday decorations, summer clothes, good china, toys and kitchen gear you aren't using now, anything you want to keep but don't plan to use the next two months. Haul it all to a storage unit.

Your home will look more spacious and you'll have less to fool with with the mad rush is on.

Plus, when your house sells, you'll be ready to go.
Excellent post.

Particularly the last line.
You are moving. Might as well get started.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:41 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
We've had our house on the market for three months. We've had about 15 showings. Our price is right.

Our house is lived in. Kids, a dog, busy schedule. We live here. Hard. I can't keep up with it in between to keep it show-ready. Also because the showings are usually on the weekends, it's not worth it keeping it perfect all week. Don't get me wrong, it is always clean and hygienic, always. But that is a huge difference from show-ready.

So I get the call the day before. This could be the one! Let the cleaning begin! And it's not even the cleaning, because I would have to do that any way. It's making it look all perfect. It's hiding our stuff and the dog bowls and putting out the fake fluffy towels and trying to make my very lived-in house look like a hotel. And she cleans up nice, the old girl. And I'm a good stager. But my muscles, I feel like I got hit by a truck.

Then the showing day. I have to somehow get the house perfect, I'm sweating, then we have to load the kids and the dog into the car and go drive around for two hours, by the time we leave ahead of time and because so many people are late.

Then the buyers....or should I call them the fake buyers. I already wrote a thread about them but most of them have a house to sell that isn't even on the market yet. GET OUT OF MY HOUSE YOU LOOKY LOO

Oh hey move-upper, you bought a ranch in 2007 for 500K and you want to move up into my house now and of course, your house will sell days after you put it on the market, uh huh. Oh and you need the equity out of your house (psst it's gone) to buy this one. Go to open houses you, go. Or better yet, go watch House Hunters.

Oh hello downsizer. Oh yeah, your house is worth 2 million? When? Back in 06? Sure. And you want to see what's out there before you sell your big bloated house. I got an idea, why don't you stay in your big house because you're never getting 2 million for it.

Oh hey a renter! This should be promising, a renter actually needs a house right? Oh, your lease is up in fall of next year. Great, thanks for playing. I'd love to know what downpayments these people have.

We've talked to our realtor about screening more diligently, and I do believe she is trying, but the agents know all of the tricks about what to say so it's not going that well. We did put off a third showing from someone who had a house to sell first, so progress there I guess.

I need a break from this. Maybe I'll just rent after this is over so I never have to do this again. I don't even want to own a house anymore. Any house.
Cry me a river. You want to sell your occupied home? You have to deal with cleaning it like crazy for each showing. Or else, reduce your stress by moving out while it's on the market. You can't have it both ways; save money by still living in it AND keep it messy the whole time you're showing it. A home purchase is a huge decision. It's not the job of potential buyers to make your life easier by buying it immediately for $600K (or however much) just so you don't have to clean it again

Old 01-02-2016, 07:54 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Cry me a river. You want to sell your occupied home? You have to deal with cleaning it like crazy for each showing. Or else, reduce your stress by moving out while it's on the market. You can't have it both ways; save money by still living in it AND keep it messy the whole time you're showing it. A home purchase is a huge decision. It's not the job of potential buyers to make your life easier by buying it immediately for $600K (or however much) just so you don't have to clean it again
A little common courtesy from the agents would be nice. Give us some notice and come when you say you will. That's all I ask.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:04 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Your post is a very good example of why so many get frustrated with real estate agents. You know nothing of the house other than what the complaining seller has to say. You don't know if it is freshly painted, smells like smoke, or dog, or cat. You don't know if it is decorated in puce and chartreuse or if one must traverse a bog to get to the front door. How's the roof, the furnace, the plumbing? Is it wedged between a McDonalds and a wrecking yard?

Nope - the first thing you suggest is lowering the price.
Dear nutty....may I call you nutty?....Putting aside the obvious bigotry that you apparently harbor against all real estate agents, if you take a moment to reflect on what I wrote, you will note that I did not suggest that the OP lower the price. I only pointed out that a lower price that will be perceived as 'too good to pass up' will result in a faster time to contract. If you disagree with this point, I'd be more than happy to have that discussion but please refrain from grouping me in with others and from putting words in my mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate