Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:48 AM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I would do nothing but price the house competitively so the new owners can make their own changes.
I am, in general, a big fan of this position.

When I bought my first townhouse, it was to some extent a fixer-upper, and one thing that definitely had to be replaced was the carpeting. The then-current owners said they were going to replace the carpeting with white shag carpet before I bought it. So I said, "Then I'm not buying it." They were offended, as if their carpet choice had to be my carpet choice. Even their agent said, "No, cut the price $5000, and your house is sold".

Don't decide what I want; let me decide what I want. After all, I'm the one spending the money, and your choice(s) may just eliminate an offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 10:49 AM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
You turned down white shag? What were you thinking?

Old 01-07-2016, 11:09 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Not sure I understood the last post and I read it 3 times LOL.

Thanks so much everyone for the advice. To answer a few comments yes we are in Mount Airy, Maryland. I have not researched the historic district and to be honest I'm not sure how that would help me sell this house, sorry if I missed the point.

I think if you didn't get it, it might not matter then anyway. Your home is historic, your area is beautifully historic but apparently there is not much of a build up of that that drew you in. There are places to list historic properties but if you and your neighbors don't go in that direction, so be it. Historic properties were a bigger draw of course before 2008 ish. Then, like so many other dreams, they needed to take a step back. Most people just didn't have the money for restoration and continued upkeep. Some who did still made out. But they have been coming back around the last couple of years in some areas, a little more every year.

As for comps as I said it's kind of a unique home. There are a lot like it in the region but every one is different so it's hard to get a handle on the comps. I kind of like the shower enclosure idea, that was my thought, but my contractor friend is pretty sure it will eventually mold the bay window.

I led with leave the tub alone for a few reasons. But as far as the shower curtain, yet not enclosed, we have lived for many years in one home and then many in another where we did this. We did put in the modern necessity, of course, the ceiling exhaust, and never had any rot. We are in friends with people who bought our last historic home, visit often, no rot. We have the same situation in other homes we carefully restored and get to visit them every now and then and still no rot. The key may be a good exhaust. But, again, your tub has its own look which is good so I'd leave it.

Agreed the tile is dated and think it may need to be redone. I checked the link and liked the idea but worried that even with a wrap around curtain I'm thinking the windows will mold. Showers generate so much moisture that as we know even behind tile wood will rot, I don't want to set the new owners up with a big problem.

As for the big problem itself someone posted that this situation is not that big of a deal but I'm thinking most familiars are not OK with just one shower. It only worked for us because we have no kids and don't work the same hours.

Yes we can pull out the cabinet in the laundry area and put in a full sized set. I could kick myself for not doing that when we replaced the washer/dryer combo. My wife is always complaining about the small capacity.

And finally there is a lot of merit to leaving it as is, as posted whomever purchases a home like this will go in with their own ideas. Who knows if the $20,000 renovation will even be to their taste?

Due to plumbing issues the vinyl floor was recently torn up and will need to be replaced. What about leaving the tub as is, just replace the floor with tile and redo the area around the tub with a matching tile?

Old 01-07-2016, 11:29 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
I love the epoxy paint idea, didn't know that was an option. But as I said a big section of the tile was removed for the previous microwave and now it's bare wall. I'm tall enough so it doesn't bother me but at some point that will need replacing. I guess since it's getting painted it doesn't need to match right? What about the grout? It's now brown, have no idea if that was the original color or not. Do they paint that too? If not matching the new spot with the old will be a problem

Old 01-07-2016, 11:42 AM

993 posts, read 766,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
I've given this some thought this morning.

My husband and I bought a new home.....new to us, built in 1960....not far from you in Braddock Heights. It is our retirement home, we just retired and we're escaping from lower MOCO finally. Thank you God, but that's another story.

We did months of searching in Mt. Airy/New Market/Middletown. There tons of newer granite filled, 3.5 bath subdivision homes to be had if a buyer wants one. Someone who buys your house will be looking for something different. I'm wondering if maybe the quirkier, the better.

Your bath set up is not that unusual, it's not way out there. I'd either keep it as is or just put down inexpensive neutral tile flooring and retile the tub. I like the bay window, btw. Maybe a mosaic tile for the floor, subway tile for bath? More in keeping with 1900 style? Just keep the one shower and maybe a hand held faucet in the tub.

I think most important is to have an excellent agent who knows how to market those old farmhouses. Price it right and it will sell. Homes up there are selling as I've been following the market for over a year....plenty have gone under contract.

The home we bought was listed on a Friday, we submitted a contract on Sunday and had to go over listing price to beat out another buyer. This was in December. Our sellers priced it well, it was well maintained and clean.

Now we have to sell the one down county. Ugh.
Oh....I just saw you're not planning to move for 8 years. I can see why your wife would like to enjoy the updates before you sell. Just sayin'...... 😉.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:46 AM

993 posts, read 766,848 times
Quote:
I love the epoxy paint idea, didn't know that was an option. But as I said a big section of the tile was removed for the previous microwave and now it's bare wall. I'm tall enough so it doesn't bother me but at some point that will need replacing. I guess since it's getting painted it doesn't need to match right? What about the grout? It's now brown, have no idea if that was the original color or not. Do they paint that too? If not matching the new spot with the old will be a problem
No, the tile doesn't have to match but the size should be the same. Yes, somehow they painted the grout. I don't know how though. The kitchen was sealed off from the rest of the house and I didn't watch. It's a messy and smelly job....had to open all windows. But the end result was worth it.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:53 AM

I absolutely love this idea, glad to hear they painted the grout. Do you guys think it's necessary to paint the upstairs tile?

Old 01-07-2016, 12:31 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Yes, they paint the grout.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:13 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
I'd suggest cleaning everything well. Closing the toilet for ALL photos. And that's it. Price the house well and it will sell. Makes no sense to spend $30K to sell a house unless you're a flipper. And if you put a shower where the laundry room is, where would you put the laundry? Best to just leave it as is.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I'd suggest cleaning everything well. Closing the toilet for ALL photos. And that's it. Price the house well and it will sell. Makes no sense to spend $30K to sell a house unless you're a flipper. And if you put a shower where the laundry room is, where would you put the laundry? Best to just leave it as is.
Yeah I've already dismissed the big renovation although there was a spot for the laundry. But your comment about flippers made me think. Maybe I watch too much HGTV but it seems to me flippers do exactly as I was thinking, fix up an old house and flip for a profit. But I guess that applies to beaters.

But I do plan on the cosmetic things I had described, the new vanity and bathroom vinyl floor, painting the kitchen tile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate