Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 03:55 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
I find it surprising that some folks ignore Lincoln speeches about Slavery and the Corwin Amendment that was passed by the North with Lincoln support. Lincoln and the North wanted to make slavery a constitutional right and still the South left the union.

the only evidence they want to bring is 1 side and lets ignore the North's actions.

Yeah, Lincoln sent troops to the South to free the slaves because he loved them all!

lets use common sense....if both the North and the South wanted slavery as a constitutional right and both still went to war then DUH!!!! IT WASN'T ABOUT SLAVERY!

Is this hard to understand???......if you and I agree that chocolate ice cream is the best and still fight and argue then is not about chocolate ice cream.
Have you actually read the articles of succession of the confederate states? For a war that wasn't about slavery, they sure as heck mention it a lot as a reason for their succession.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:58 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
A new listing came up on the mls for the area I am looking at. One of the bedrooms has a very prominent confederate flag. I am curious what other's reactions would be to it.

Some one would be pretty goofy if that affected a home purchase.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:01 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I would need to learn more about the neighborhood. I would not be comfortable living in an area where Confederate flags and what they represent were common so I would try to find out if it was an isolated instance or if this was a community where that point of view was common.

I would not sell my house to a person where that made a difference. I would not want to subject my neighbors to having a person like that living among them, since it would be obvious that they can not co-exist with normal people.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:07 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
A new listing came up on the mls for the area I am looking at. One of the bedrooms has a very prominent confederate flag. I am curious what other's reactions would be to it.
Really, are you really that sensitive to an inanimate object.
I am sure there are far more important things about a house than to worry a homeowner having a Virginia Battle Flag from 170 plus years ago.
PC BS.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:09 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
I was being sarcastic about your state of mind that you find troublesome a neighborhood with confederate flags. That is common in the South because of their Culture and Heritage. If they are LAW abiding citizens I could care less if they have a confederate flag, Mexican Flag, British Flag or whatever. Its you who are stereotyping all people who have a confederate flag for your narrow views about history.

In Hispanic Countries there is a saying that goes " EL LADRON JUZGA POR SU CONDICION"......It means the thief judges others by his own condition.

Back to the Civil War:

WIKIPEDIA is your source? is that your American History?

Lets go step by step. Lincoln had NO intention to end slavery in the South when he was in Congress and when he took the oath of President. He didn't personally want to and he didn't have any constitutional powers to do so. He pretty much wanted to send all Africans back to Africa because he said they were an inferior race and they weren't compatible with the American culture. (his words)

The North before the Civil War broke out passed the Corwin Amendment....it pretty much guaranteed slavery in the Constitution if the states wanted it and the federal government had no say or power over it. It pass Congress and the Senate by Super Majorities and Lincoln supported the amendment.....the reason they did this was that they didn't want the South to leave because of slavery. But guess what, the South still left anyway because it wasn't about slavery. it was about taxes and tariffs and federal government land grabbing in the South. The same reasons Washington and Jefferson left the British Crown years earlier, TAXATION!

The Corwin Amendment couldn't pass with just Northern votes alone, they needed the South to vote on it to make it a constitutional right to own slaves in the states forever but like I said the South left and didn't want to return.

Look it up, the CORWIN AMENDMENT .....that is the evidence clearly that the Civil War wasn't fought over slavery. The crap they teach in Public schools is awful.

Abraham Lincoln, in his first inaugural address, said of the Corwin Amendment:
I understand a proposed amendment to the Constitution—which amendment, however, I have not seen—has passed Congress, to the effect that the Federal Government shall never interfere with the domestic institutions of the States, including that of persons held to service (SLAVERY)....holding such a provision to now be implied constitutional law, I have no objection to its being made express and irrevocable. (I'm for it)

The North and Lincoln couldn't care less if the South had black slaves, they were taking money from the taxation and tariffs from the economy of the South.....they just wanted the South to stay in the union for money and control reasons and they didn't want a new country next to them competing with them in stealing the lands in the West from the Natives.

Do you have any idea the amount of LAND the federal government owns in the WEST?.....just in the state of Utah, the Feds owns 80% of the land.

That's why the Civil War was fought.....its sad the stuff they teach at public schools.

The Articles of Secession shows that slavery was a major part of the deal. And I know Lincoln was not intent on changing things. This does not change what southern elites were saying in the Artlcles of Secession. It doesn't change what Alexander Stephens said. The Corwin Agreement does not refute anything mentioned in the Articles of Secession.

As for my source, you do understand that the sources about William Tappan Thompson also have sources cited.

You have not shown where any lies have been told. You've only shown that you disagree.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:16 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,269,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Have you actually read the articles of succession of the confederate states? For a war that wasn't about slavery, they sure as heck mention it a lot as a reason for their succession.

did you read Lincoln speeches and the Corwin Amendment by the North before the Civil War?.......so who's lying here?...the North or the South?

Lincoln didn't send troops to the South to end slavery....so why the Union troops in the South?

Old 01-17-2016, 04:17 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
Lincoln never freed the slaves. He freed slaves that werent supporting the south.
Oh, the misinformation on the Civil War...

Old 01-17-2016, 04:25 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
did you read Lincoln speeches and the Corwin Amendment by the North before the Civil War?.......so who's lying here?...the North or the South?

Lincoln didn't send troops to the South to end slavery....so why the Union troops in the South?
So what if Lincoln didn't send troops in to end slavery? So what if he really didn't plan to end slavery? That didn't matter to southern elites. All they saw was an 1860 Northern Republican. It doesn't matter what Lincoln planned to do. What matters is what southern elites THOUGHT Lincoln was going to do. They thought he was going to abolish slavery. This fear is mentioned in southern newspapers during the time.

You still have not proven the Articles of Secession, or the Cornerstone Speech to be a lie. You haven't proven anything about William Tappan Thompson to be a lie.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The Articles of Secession shows that slavery was a major part of the deal. And I know Lincoln was not intent on changing things. This does not change what southern elites were saying in the Artlcles of Secession. It doesn't change what Alexander Stephens said. The Corwin Agreement does not refute anything mentioned in the Articles of Secession.

major????

the Corwin Amendment by all Northern Votes and the backing of Lincoln is proof that Lincoln send troops to the South to fight a war that had NOTHING to do with slavery.

Who sent troops where???? It wasn't the South who invaded the North....it was the other way around.

Phillip W. Magness » Abraham Lincoln and the Corwin Amendment

Old 01-17-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
So what if Lincoln didn't send troops in to end slavery? So what if he really didn't plan to end slavery? That didn't matter to southern elites. All they saw was an 1860 Northern Republican. It doesn't matter what Lincoln planned to do. What matters is what southern elites THOUGHT Lincoln was going to do. They thought he was going to abolish slavery. This fear is mentioned in southern newspapers during the time.

You still have not proven the Articles of Secession, or the Cornerstone Speech to be a lie. You haven't proven anything about William Tappan Thompson to be a lie.

so what????? that's the proof that the North waged a war of aggression against the people of the South and slavery had nothing to do with it.

There were many reasons why the South wanted no part of the Union.

But the reasons Lincoln waged war on the people of the South wasn't for slavery....that is on record by Lincoln own words and the actions of the politicians in the North with the Corwin Amendment which you keep ignoring and is the smoking gun on Lincoln true intentions of waging war against the people of the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate