Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:30 AM

1,844 posts, read 3,937,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Thanks for all of your comments. Since my wife and I kind of disagreed on this, your comments may have helped to save our marriage.
Great! I'm glad you got the answers you needed.

In the "better late than never" department, here's my viewpoint on the topic:

I think that having a box with flyers is a terrific idea, especially in a competitive market with lots of houses for sale. When looking for a house to buy, we would always stop to get a flyer and that is the house that we would remember most when we got home.

It is very important to keep the box of flyers full, so get (or make) extras and check daily. Sometimes someone will come and take all 20 or 30, so don't put hundreds in there at a time. I don't know why they do that but they do. It is very annoying for a buyer to stop, park the car, get out and check the flyer box, and find it empty so try to make sure that doesn't happen.

I never actually sold a house as the result of flyers, but I still like them and think they are worth the effort. You never know what will actually sell the house; once I sold a house because of the colorful blooming rosebushes in the front which got the buyers' attention. Then after they moved in, they took all the rosebushes out. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 01:22 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"One listing should yield two buyer clients" is the game at hand.
Truly, the sellers must recognize that an agent will garner "ancillary business" from marketing the property, because it just will not be the house for some respondents for whom the house just doesn't work. I discuss that with sellers, because they have to know that 20 showings does not equal 20 buyers and 20 offers and that one of those showings may turn into a buyer client for another property.

But, first and foremost, when handling listings, showings, marketing, open houses, whatever, for the listing, the focus must be on selling that listing for the most money and as fast as possible.
Unfortunately, some agents lose focus and lean toward using the property to generate business leads.
It's fraudulent of them to restrict information on the house in order to force some fraction of potential buyers to contact them.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:30 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
It's fraudulent of them to restrict information on the house in order to force some fraction of potential buyers to contact them.
How so? It is a marketing piece.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:45 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Hardly, in the absence of any compelling circumstances.
It MAY be fraudulent if they contract to provide flyers, build that expectation, and decline to fulfill it.
"Breach of contract" may be a better term, though.

But, I am certain that there is no statute anywhere that dictates that listing agents will provide flyers.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:48 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
No it isn't. As long as the seller approves it is totally fine.

I use paper flyers on and off. I absolutely use them in neighborhoods where the buyers tend to be boomers because they are used to having them. In starter home neighborhoods or neighborhoods where I think millenials/Gen Xers will be the likely buyers, I use a permaflyer (a heavy cardboard permanent flyer on stakes) and then offer texting, QR codes and other ways to get information on phones.

A seller should never make their own flyer. That is bad service in my opinion.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:52 PM

486 posts, read 831,972 times
I look for housing using the internet and print out the information myself at home. I don't see the point of flyers in 2016. But maybe for older people or in locations with a lot of first generation immigrant maybe they are still used.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:52 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
One school of thought among some agents is to never use flyers, but to make people call for information.

1. They hope or claim they can sell the listing better with a warm call.
2. If they cannot sell that house, they want a shot at converting the caller into a buyer and possibly a listing for a current home.
So-called "warm" calls where someone tries to convert me, convince me, sell, solicit, whatever, annoy me tremendously and are ineffective. The worst is when someone tries to get my name upfront in the call and then "sprinkles" it throughout the sales pitch as if we were somehow new best buddies.

Quote:
Adhering to the school of thought that spreading information as far as possible as easily as possible is service to my seller/clients, I do flyers in a proper flyer box, QR Codes laminated and stuck to the sign post that will take you to the photo tour with description, and a URL/domain for the property on a sign rider.
Thank you for that, and could you tell us what "QR codes" are?

Old 01-18-2016, 07:56 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
So-called "warm" calls where someone tries to convert me, convince me, sell, solicit, whatever, annoy me tremendously and are ineffective. The worst is when someone tries to get my name upfront in the call and then "sprinkles" it throughout the sales pitch as if we were somehow new best buddies.

Thank you for that, and could you tell us what "QR codes" are?
It's a Multiple Choice, Public Poll! Do You Use QR Codes?

If you scan a QR code with a smartphone app, it can show you information, a map, a contact form, take you to a website, depending on whatever information or data is embedded in it.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:10 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post

I never actually sold a house as the result of flyers
That you are aware of....I grabbed a flyer yesterday for someone and wound up letting someone entirely different have it. The home changed Realtors recently, the first thing she did was put up a box for flyers.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:14 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
It's a Multiple Choice, Public Poll! Do You Use QR Codes?

If you scan a QR code with a smartphone app, it can show you information, a map, a contact form, take you to a website, depending on whatever information or data is embedded in it.
OIC. I notice that the highest scoring poll vote was

"I am a real estate agent. I don't use them. They had their 15 minutes and are history."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate