Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 09:46 AM

393 posts, read 409,133 times

Advertisements

Hello, I appreciate your help. Wife and I have been looking at buying a home for our retirement years, WY, SD, etc. I view many manufactured homes, that look good, and cost perhaps a little less than stick. My wife, who possesses more common sense than I, says absolutely NO to a manufactured home.

What are the disadvantages of a manufactured home. What are the financing, insurance, refinancing, equity differences between manufactured and stick.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 10:01 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,425,536 times
No one can tell you. Too many unknowns. Quality? Location? Length of ownership? Type of market?

Old 01-20-2016, 10:27 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,085 times
Are you talking about a mobile home on wheels that's towed to the home site in one or two pieces? Or are you talking about a home that's manufactured in a factory, disassembled, then hauled to the homesite in pieces and reassembled?

I would say for sure you don't want a mobile home if you can afford a stick built, but I can't speak to whether a manufactured home is comparable to a stick built. For one thing, mobile homes are like cars and RVs, they decrease in value over time unlike a stick built home. I don't know if manufactured homes have the same issue. Also, mobile homes used to be built to a lower quality than stick built homes so they would wear out much faster, but I don't know if that's still the case with the new ones. Probably depends on the manufacturer. Manufactured homes should be better quality than mobile homes, but I don't know how they compare to stick built.

Additionally, most people don't want to live in mobile/manufactured homes so if they can tell it was built in a factory, then it will be much harder to resell down the road and the resale price will be much lower than a stick built home on the same property would be. If it's a quality built manufactured home that no one can tell is a manufactured home, then I don't think it matters as much.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:39 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post

Additionally, most people don't want to live in mobile/manufactured homes so if they can tell it was built in a factory, then it will be much harder to resell down the road and the resale price will be much lower than a stick built home on the same property would be. If it's a quality built manufactured home that no one can tell is a manufactured home, then I don't think it matters as much.
Manufactured homes look different than stick built homes to most folks.

They are one jump up from a mobile home, but still not in the same category of a stick built.

They are often well designed with good traffic flow and well thought out storage. They are certainly worth touring to get ideas.

Appraisers compare them to other manufactured homes, not stick built home.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:32 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,087,504 times
I can take you to some neighbor hoods and you can't tell the manufactured homes from the stick built ones. If you look very close you can identify the manufactured ones (The interior walls that are the join walls for the modules are thicker) As far as quality a good modular can compete very well with a good stickbuilt house. Some say that modulars have to be 'stiffer' to withstand the transportation and lifting into place. Being 'assembled' in a climate controlled environment allows a much more consistant product than one being built by a shivering carpenter out on a building site. Both stickbuilt and manufactured homes have to meet the same building codes.

Now 'mobile homes' (With a permanent steel underframe) are a different beast. They are generally considered a trailer meet different standards.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:44 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,319,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Hello, I appreciate your help. Wife and I have been looking at buying a home for our retirement years, WY, SD, etc. I view many manufactured homes, that look good, and cost perhaps a little less than stick. My wife, who possesses more common sense than I, says absolutely NO to a manufactured home.

What are the disadvantages of a manufactured home. What are the financing, insurance, refinancing, equity differences between manufactured and stick.

Thanks.
Even if you purchased the most amazing Manufactured Home ever built, and it was twice as strong as a stick-and-brick, just think, she's gonna be waiting....waiting for that first issue...and then you're gonna hear it. So, IMO, the disadvantage of a manny home is clearly that it is a time bomb that will facilitate your wife reminding you about how she warned you, perhaps loudly and/or frequently.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:48 AM

393 posts, read 409,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Even if you purchased the most amazing Manufactured Home ever built, and it was twice as strong as a stick-and-brick, just think, she's gonna be waiting....waiting for that first issue...and then you're gonna hear it. So, IMO, the disadvantage of a manny home is clearly that it is a time bomb that will facilitate your wife reminding you about how she warned you, perhaps loudly and/or frequently.
Yep, that's about right. "I just knew that this would *&:HSF:KA{(*".

NO to trailer home.

Wife is trying to tell me that insurance will cost more, and that we would never be able to get a home equity loan or reverse mortgage on manny home.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Wife is trying to tell me that insurance will cost more, and that we would never be able to get a home equity loan or reverse mortgage on manny home.
I don't know that that's accurate.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:35 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
A manufactured home is a modern mobile home that is stronger than the old ones.

A modular home is stick built in a factory and assembled on your land.

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 01-20-2016 at 12:52 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I can take you to some neighbor hoods and you can't tell the manufactured homes from the stick built ones. If you look very close you can identify the manufactured ones (The interior walls that are the join walls for the modules are thicker) As far as quality a good modular can compete very well with a good stickbuilt house. Some say that modulars have to be 'stiffer' to withstand the transportation and lifting into place. Being 'assembled' in a climate controlled environment allows a much more consistant product than one being built by a shivering carpenter out on a building site. Both stickbuilt and manufactured homes have to meet the same building codes.
The carpenters I know can do a darn decent job whether they are shivering or sweating. Many of those working in production lines making manufactured homes are not actually carpenters, but more laborers.

As to making them "stiffer," I can see where that would be valuable, but am at a loss at what "stiffening" would be sufficient to keep them from racking out of square as they are transported and moved about into place.

Manufactured homes have to meet HUD standards and there are advantages in terms of buying in quantity and shipping materials to the same site as well as using cheaper labor.

However, despite the claims of the climate controlled environment and purchase efficiencies, most people chose manufactured homes because of the lower cost not because they like them better than stickbuilt homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate