U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2016, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Dude...., I'm right here
1,127 posts, read 706,027 times
Reputation: 596

Advertisements

This is not how radon tests are carried. This is very horrible advice coming from a real estate professional.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Crawlspace or basement or slab?
If on a crawlspace, are the vents opened or closed?
5.3 is easily remedied by opening closed crawlspace vents. If it falls to you to remediate, I would do a 90 day test before overreacting on a 48-72 hour test.


None of your list is "massive repairs," but, you may be able to get the relo company to remediate and repair anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2016, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
33,647 posts, read 58,364,891 times
Reputation: 32368
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
This is not how radon tests are carried. This is very horrible advice coming from a real estate professional.
How so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2016, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Dude...., I'm right here
1,127 posts, read 706,027 times
Reputation: 596
You are a real estate professional so look it up if you don't know how it is done

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
How so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2016, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Cary, NC
33,647 posts, read 58,364,891 times
Reputation: 32368
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
You are a real estate professional so look it up if you don't know how it is done
Eee-Yup.
That's about how I had it figured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2016, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Needham, MA
6,482 posts, read 9,657,643 times
Reputation: 5490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Crawlspace or basement or slab?
If on a crawlspace, are the vents opened or closed?
5.3 is easily remedied by opening closed crawlspace vents. If it falls to you to remediate, I would do a 90 day test before overreacting on a 48-72 hour test.


None of your list is "massive repairs," but, you may be able to get the relo company to remediate and repair anyway.
Eh. For the small sum of money that a radon mitigation system costs, I would just put it in and not worry about doing a 90 day test. Especially if you can get the relo company to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2016, 06:16 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
33,647 posts, read 58,364,891 times
Reputation: 32368
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Eh. For the small sum of money that a radon mitigation system costs, I would just put it in and not worry about doing a 90 day test. Especially if you can get the relo company to pay for it.
On a 5.3?
If this is a home on a crawl space with vents closed and has been vacant for some period of time, venting the living area and opening the vents will probably reduce the reading below 4 without further mitigation.
And my input was predicated on the possibility that mitigation might fall on the OP's shoulders.


Generally, I would not own an active mitigation system unless there was a demonstrable need for one. The OP is in my market and they really are not all that common here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2016, 07:42 AM
 
239 posts, read 986,726 times
Reputation: 140
Thanks. The house has a basement. Waiting to talk to our agent and I will look through our papers to see if there is anything about radon. I'm hoping it will work out we actually offered over listing (due to multiple bids) so even though one post was about the fact that it doesn't cost much to repair-I think the seller should repair things. I know we did when we sold our house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2016, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
33,647 posts, read 58,364,891 times
Reputation: 32368
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie741 View Post
Thanks. The house has a basement. Waiting to talk to our agent and I will look through our papers to see if there is anything about radon. I'm hoping it will work out we actually offered over listing (due to multiple bids) so even though one post was about the fact that it doesn't cost much to repair-I think the seller should repair things. I know we did when we sold our house.
Basement. Check.
Good luck with your purchase!
Hope it all works out for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2016, 08:44 AM
 
914 posts, read 775,158 times
Reputation: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
1. Do you want the house or not?
2. Are you going to let a $200 garbage disposal destroy the deal?
3. Radon mitigation is about $1K
4. Water and rot can mean $1K or $100K. You need to know how bad it is.
It depends in the house, but radon mitigation can sometimes be closer to 2k. We were quoted $1500 to remediate radon and that was the cheapest quote we got out of several. The estimate went up to $1800 when the came over and saw the funky way they would have to install it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2016, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Needham, MA
6,482 posts, read 9,657,643 times
Reputation: 5490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
On a 5.3?
If this is a home on a crawl space with vents closed and has been vacant for some period of time, venting the living area and opening the vents will probably reduce the reading below 4 without further mitigation.
And my input was predicated on the possibility that mitigation might fall on the OP's shoulders.


Generally, I would not own an active mitigation system unless there was a demonstrable need for one. The OP is in my market and they really are not all that common here.
Ahhh. I wasn't sure where the OP was located. In my market, mitigation systems are paid for by the seller traditionally. Radon is also incredibly common in this area. Having a mitigation system around here does not stigmatize your property in any way IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top