U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 07:59 AM

239 posts, read 986,540 times

Advertisements

We are buying a house and just had radon testing and level came back at 5.3. This house is being purchased though a relocation company. They have given us a 7 day due diligence period.

Does anyone know if relocation companies are difficult to deal with when it comes to radon and mitigation? The other question is why we have other repairs that we are going to request-a water stain on a ceiling, wood rot, and a broken garbage disposal.

We love this house and outbid another party interested in the house. We want the house but don't want to get stuck with massive repairs etc.

And yes-we have a buyers agent and we will discuss more with her but was looking for input from others.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 08:42 AM

2,568 posts, read 5,990,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie741 View Post
We are buying a house and just had radon testing and level came back at 5.3. This house is being purchased though a relocation company. They have given us a 7 day due diligence period.

Does anyone know if relocation companies are difficult to deal with when it comes to radon and mitigation? The other question is why we have other repairs that we are going to request-a water stain on a ceiling, wood rot, and a broken garbage disposal.

We love this house and outbid another party interested in the house. We want the house but don't want to get stuck with massive repairs etc.

And yes-we have a buyers agent and we will discuss more with her but was looking for input from others.

Thanks!
Read your relocation policy. Ours says that we can buy whatever house we want but if it doesn't pass inspection (including Radon) then they will not buy it from us when we relocate again. They recommend that we negotiate remediation with the seller so the problem is resolved prior to closing.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:59 AM

15,070 posts, read 19,008,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Read your relocation policy. Ours says that we can buy whatever house we want but if it doesn't pass inspection (including Radon) then they will not buy it from us when we relocate again. They recommend that we negotiate remediation with the seller so the problem is resolved prior to closing.
No, I think the OP wants to buy a house FROM a relocation company.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:35 AM

14,033 posts, read 20,343,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie741 View Post
when it comes to radon and mitigation? The other question is why we have other repairs that we are going to request-a water stain on a ceiling, wood rot, and a broken garbage disposal.
1. Do you want the house or not?
2. Are you going to let a $200 garbage disposal destroy the deal?
3. Radon mitigation is about $1K
4. Water and rot can mean $1K or $100K. You need to know how bad it is.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:03 AM

2,568 posts, read 5,990,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
No, I think the OP wants to buy a house FROM a relocation company.
Really? A relocation company owns a house with a radon issue? I thought they didn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:34 AM

203 posts, read 348,638 times
I am guessing that when the relo company took over the property, they did not do a radon test. I would certainly try to get this issue resolved with the seller/relo company. Now that they know about it this must be disclosed to every other potential buyer. It is a safety issue.

Frankly I would be stunned if they did not install a mitigation system.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:35 AM

993 posts, read 4,342,766 times
You might also want to get a 2nd radon test done by a different inspector. We find a lot of mixed results on radon tests around here depending on how often they get their machines calibrated. The levels also vary depending on how long the house has been closed up and temperature variations.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:04 AM

33,643 posts, read 58,353,680 times
Crawlspace or basement or slab?
If on a crawlspace, are the vents opened or closed?
5.3 is easily remedied by opening closed crawlspace vents. If it falls to you to remediate, I would do a 90 day test before overreacting on a 48-72 hour test.

None of your list is "massive repairs," but, you may be able to get the relo company to remediate and repair anyway.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:54 PM

6,482 posts, read 9,655,544 times
A lot of relocation companies buy what are essentially radon insurance policies prior to listing the house. Ask the listing agent if the company has a radon policy in place.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:55 PM

1,127 posts, read 705,658 times
Did you have a radon addendum in your offer? If you did, you can pull out. In addition, your bank may request the radon mitigation to be in place before closing. In fact, I think they will require this to be addressed prior to closing. It is also in your interest that this be addressed.

I also think the relocation company will want this fixed or require an indemnity from you so that you don't sue them in the future. Since you are over paying, the relo company don't want this sale to fall through because this issues will have to be disclosed if the house goes back on the market.

Basically, you have an upper hand, if your contract was written up properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate