Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 08:58 AM

676 posts, read 936,058 times

Advertisements

We had everything done for a property and then came the FHA inspection. Well and septic were too close to one another ! cost me $495.00 to find that out.....I am looking at three more prospects but at $495.00 a pop I can't just dole that out if it doesn't pass. Is there anything I can do ? Hopefully this was just a fluke. Someone with a conventional loan could just come along and buy it....it was only 5ft too close. Help............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 09:11 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Your agent should be helping you do due diligence on the property. They should know the FHA requirements and can help you go through the property to determine if it will meet the standards.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:12 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
Is there anything I can do ?
Educate yourself on what the FHA requires and check it yourself before you hire someone for an inspection.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:11 AM

680 posts, read 716,810 times
Sorry to hear that it fell through for you! I guess for the next house you'll have to take your tape measure with you.

Here is a website to look at that has what fha looks for..

FHA Appraisal Guidelines in 2015 - What the Appraiser Looks for

Old 02-01-2016, 11:01 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Do you mean buyer inspection or FHA appraiser?

I don't see how to find the septic tank on the list of what fha looks for. I'm thinking since this was a concern of yours, that is important to you to know in advance. That and the well.

Here's a start on the septic.

How to Find The Septic Tank - step by step

You can look up online how to locate the well.

However, your own eye would probably not be able to tell a matter of feet too close. That said, I've seen old systems where unaware newer owners built a concrete patio over them.

If these are consistent concerns in your area, you might want to have a well/septic guy take a look before going all the way to the appraiser stage.

You would also want a deeper (no pun intended) well inspection and a septic inspection.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:40 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
That stinks, but you should ask your agent for some advice.

I will say, I have had TWO conventional sales come back with an exception for the the appraisal to be good. One was to fix a window. This wasn't FHA, conventional. I had never seen that until it happened a second time. Right now you have a buyer in hand so I would try and figure something out.

Good luck. This too shall pass.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:47 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Ask you lender if there are any alternate loans you can apply for, some banks have conventional loans but you may need great credit for them.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:10 PM

229 posts, read 240,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Educate yourself on what the FHA requires and check it yourself before you hire someone for an inspection.
And I thought that was why one hired an agent. If you have to know everything yourself why are you hiring a so called professional.

I had an agent who did not know FHA requirements and cost me two months of my listing under contract only to have the deal fall through and we an old stale listing.

I now know FHA requirements but didn't know an agent wouldn't.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:57 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
This is an easy way. Hopefully your muni provides maps of where the septic is. There you go.

I was reminded where I have gotten them. Our muni health dept keeps the records. You call or email and they mail it to you. Quick and simple.

Hopefully the listing agent of your next home can do this for you. Don't know if it's the health dept for every area but just contact the municipality and they can let you know.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:28 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
What do the current town/county/state health department regs specify for the distance between the well and the septic? Many older properties may have been "grandfathered" in when the regs were changed. If your house isn't in compliance with those, then you probably can't sell your house until you move one or the other because a septic system too close to a well can contaminate the water supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate