Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 09:25 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times

Advertisements

Wow! I'm still in shock over the fact that your landlord hasn't raised your rent in 8 years!! Mine goes up $50 every single year especially since I live in Florida.

Like someone mentioned, the home you fell in love with may not pass appraisal or inspections might show something major wrong. Even if all that goes okay, if you have not been prequalified it will probably take at least 45-60 days to get a closing date depending on how good your credit is.

Being that you're been there 8 years I would think there would be a lot of normal wear and tear. Fix what you can and don't expect to get any deposit you paid the landlord back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 09:35 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
It seems like you would be asking your LL, ... if the dog and water damages were not significant. His willingness to work with you on the 4-months will probably depend on two things:
1). Whether he can get the place ready to rent and rented-out during that period
2). The degree of damages and cost to repair.

Your assumption that he will need to renovate the place anyway - suggests that he should ignore the damages or simply fold them into his regular renovation costs. I would not count on that. Additionally, he has likely not raised the rent in 8-years to keep you there and happy ... and may not feel that an extra 4-months are justified. -- Still, it couldn't hurt to say, "We're thinking about buying a house and wonder how receptive you might be to adjusting the timing of our lease ... based, of course, on a good notice period and good condition of the property.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:01 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
based on a post you made yesterday, I wouldn't be thinking about buying a house right now. You talk of being single again, and him being opposed to moving. All that will do is cost thousands of dollars if buying a home isn't the panacea you're looking for.

That said, you want to negotiate the terms of a contract (of some type; do you really sign a new lease every year). So start negotiating:

"We are looking to buy a home. Under what circumstances can we give you notice, and leave the home before August?"

And let him answer. Of course, any landlord that hasn't raised the rent at all in 8 years sounds like an excessively reasonable person. If what he says doesn't seem reasonable to you, then you propose something different. Now, know that telling him "hey this place is dated so you'll have to update it anyway" isn't exactly a tact you want to take.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:37 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
We have been renting a townhouse for 8 years (landlord never raised our rent) but we just found a home we want to buy and they want to close in April...our lease is until end of Aug. I wonder after paying on time every month for 8 years, it would be to much to ask if we could get out 4 months early so we can use that money on the new place. I know it can't hurt to ask but still don't know how he would react. Also the place has to redone. Partly from our dog, also water damage (that isn't our fault of course), and the place is pretty much all orginal cabinets, sinks etc....from the 80's. So in order to sell it or rent it out again he would have to redo it. Can he takes us to court for damages that are our fault?
If they exceed the security deposit, yes he can. The water damage he can't hold from your deposit. After 8 years, he likely can't charge you for the carpet. But, if your dog chewed the door frame, then yes, he can charge you for it if it exceeds your security deposit.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:43 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm not a LL, but I wouldn't EVER do that. I can't vet the tenant the way the LL can - for that matter, I don't even know what the LL requires as an application for a prospective tenant, what the LL is going to charge a new renter, what the security will be, etc. For all I know, LL will sell the house when I leave. Maybe they don't want to allow pets anymore.

And that prospective new tenant I just found? I've kinda screwed around with their lives offering to maybe rent them an apartment I have no right to rent to them, at some unknown monthly rent.

Seriously - bad advice, nicole.
Wow, lots of what-ifs there. Yes, it could go wrong, but if everyone considering a making a business deal were as horrified of the what-ifs as you seem to be, we wouldn't have the economy we do.

In my area this arrangement happens all the time - tenants helping to look for other tenants is common. Your extreme scenarios and what-ifs haven't happened to anyone I know in all of this.

And I am not "Nicole".

Old 02-18-2016, 01:13 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm not a LL, but I wouldn't EVER do that. I can't vet the tenant the way the LL can - for that matter, I don't even know what the LL requires as an application for a prospective tenant, what the LL is going to charge a new renter, what the security will be, etc. For all I know, LL will sell the house when I leave. Maybe they don't want to allow pets anymore.
And that prospective new tenant I just found? I've kinda screwed around with their lives offering to maybe rent them an apartment I have no right to rent to them, at some unknown monthly rent.

Seriously - bad advice, nicole.
You'd never refer a friend to a prospective landlord? What good are you as a friend?

Seriously, what harm is there in referring someone to a possible rental? It's up to the other two parties to come to an agreement. And if they don't, everyone moves on.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:18 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Most leases are 12 months, and then they turn into month-to-month tenancy starting in month 13.

After 8 years I would think that you would be month-to-month. Unless you signed a new lease every year.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:02 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
We have been renting a townhouse for 8 years (landlord never raised our rent) but we just found a home we want to buy and they want to close in April...our lease is until end of Aug. I wonder after paying on time every month for 8 years, it would be to much to ask if we could get out 4 months early so we can use that money on the new place. I know it can't hurt to ask but still don't know how he would react. Also the place has to redone. Partly from our dog, also water damage (that isn't our fault of course), and the place is pretty much all orginal cabinets, sinks etc....from the 80's. So in order to sell it or rent it out again he would have to redo it. Can he takes us to court for damages that are our fault?
This is your first house right?
Wait until you see how slow the mortgage company is. God forbid they should ask for all of your documents at the same time.

Your bank dictates the closing date. They also dictate where the closing will be. Interest rates are slowly going up. That's another reason for your bank to drag its feet.

Landlords like that don't grow on trees. Give him as much notice as possible.
Do you have an accepted offer yet?

Old 02-18-2016, 05:49 PM

151 posts, read 189,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Pull out your lease, dust it off if necessary, and look for the answers in there. No landlord expects to keep tenants forever so give them as much advanced notice as possible and there should be very little problem. Read the lease to see what you are responsible for and how your security deposit and advanced rent (if any) is to be handled.
This, pretty much. Be prepared to pay a fee. Business is business.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:19 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Talk to him. As a LL, if someone has been there a long time, I am fine with them breaking lease early. As for the damage, talk to him about that, too. If it's carpets, well, after 8 yrs, you would expect him to replace them. If it's chewed up woodwork, that's a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate