Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:23 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
I was just told I needed to pay a year worth of hoke insurance up front?
The only fees that are "Set" from buyer to buyer are the lender's processing, underwriting, and administration fees, for that lender. Every lender will have different fees, but usually within about a $200 range either way.

Other "set" fees are the escrow fees for the title company, recording fees, and courier fees they use to get paperwork here and there.

Everything else is per transaction. Yes, you have to pay 1 full year of home owner's insurance. You also have to pay a lender's title policy. In my area, the owner's title policy is paid by the seller 99.9% of the time. You also have to fund your escrow account, usually 2-3 months, depending on your lender.

Your costs are probably going to be more than $4k, but if you ask for too much that you can't use, you lose that money. The seller gets to take it, not you. For example, if you try to get exact and ask for $5500, but your closing costs are only $5200, the seller just got $300 extra dollars that they were expecting to spend, but you can't have it in cash. You just financed an extra $300 over 30 years. You should ask for less so you don't waste any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 12:32 PM

171 posts, read 193,872 times
Fund your escrow acct? Not sure what that means. Don't know what lender title policy is either. Recording and Courier fees? I don't know what any of that is unfortunately. I am not even to sure what Escrow does. Is it true that earnest money goes toward your down payment?
The lender said worst case senario we would owe $1500 over the 4K paid by the seller.
The realtor also told me that if the AC breaks down within a year (it's 30 years old) our home warrantee would cover it and all we pay is a deductible?

Old 02-23-2016, 12:48 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
In post #4 of your "i'm so scared of getting screwed" thread, bbronston gave you a link to a great guide to home buying and mortgages It explains escrow accounts, title insurance and many other things you are asking about. PLEASE read it.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:51 PM

I will but not sure I will understand it.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Fund your escrow acct? Not sure what that means. Don't know what lender title policy is either. Recording and Courier fees? I don't know what any of that is unfortunately. I am not even to sure what Escrow does. Is it true that earnest money goes toward your down payment?
The lender said worst case senario we would owe $1500 over the 4K paid by the seller.
The realtor also told me that if the AC breaks down within a year (it's 30 years old) our home warrantee would cover it and all we pay is a deductible?
It sounds like you need to have a sit-down talk with your mortgage professional if they aren't explaining what an escrow account or anything else is. Why are you depending on strangers to help you understand when you have someone whom you hired to go over everything like you're a 5th grader trying to understand.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:02 PM

I didn't hire the lender. The realtor gave him my info and he called me.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I didn't hire the lender. The realtor gave him my info and he called me.
If you are obtaining a mortgage with him, you are paying him at closing for the processing, underwriting, and administration of the loan. That's called hiring him... He works for you to get your loan closed and is there to answer your questions.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:14 PM

311 posts, read 634,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
The only fees that are "Set" from buyer to buyer are the lender's processing, underwriting, and administration fees, for that lender. Every lender will have different fees, but usually within about a $200 range either way.

Other "set" fees are the escrow fees for the title company, recording fees, and courier fees they use to get paperwork here and there.

Everything else is per transaction. Yes, you have to pay 1 full year of home owner's insurance. You also have to pay a lender's title policy. In my area, the owner's title policy is paid by the seller 99.9% of the time. You also have to fund your escrow account, usually 2-3 months, depending on your lender.

Your costs are probably going to be more than $4k, but if you ask for too much that you can't use, you lose that money. The seller gets to take it, not you. For example, if you try to get exact and ask for $5500, but your closing costs are only $5200, the seller just got $300 extra dollars that they were expecting to spend, but you can't have it in cash. You just financed an extra $300 over 30 years. You should ask for less so you don't waste any.
I believe you can use anything leftover to buy down your rate. A good lender will help you not leave money on the table for the seller to get back.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:27 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
Quote:
If we agreed to the seller paying 4K in closing costs could we owe more at closing?
What does the 4K cover?
Since you are the buyer you will pay for things like oil left in the tank prepaid property taxes.
Your lawyers should have things pretty much worked out.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:41 PM

Oil left in tank? Not sure what means. The lender said the buyer pays the tax credit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate