Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 02:51 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times

Advertisements

I wonder what the annual taxes are on the property? Does anyone here know how to look that up for California and Burlingame?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 03:41 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
They have been doing the old lady a great favor for years but they should have told her to try to save as much as possible in case something happened. In 66 years you need to do the roof at least 3 times for a normal roof. I hope she can stay or the gofundme can supplement a higher rent there.

Her best hope is a rich person buys the home and lets her stay until she dies. Someone call Bill Gates.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
One thing the lawyer is forgetting is that she had an oral agreement with a person who died years ago! Her agreement was never with the current homeowner. Since when are real estate transactions allowed to be oral? This one is 66 years old! And how do we know that the original owner said she could live there forever? Even if she did, that agreement was with that owner not the current one.

The house is part of an estate.
The case is being decided in the court of public opinion... at least this is my take.

Apparently, there are Angel Investors ready to buy if they can strike a deal and will promise she can live the rest of her life there... statistics would indicate people do not live forever... although I'm surrounded by very old people... 104 across the street... 101 down the street and a new 100 year old one at the corner... all women and all have lived in their homes since the 1950's...

Old 02-24-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I wonder what the annual taxes are on the property? Does anyone here know how to look that up for California and Burlingame?
I have not... chances are the taxes are very low on a modest home under California Prop 13....

Old 02-24-2016, 04:54 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,232 times
The property taxes for her house are $3807.40, the house was passed down from one family member to another so it probably went through probate at some point so property taxes increased (rather than being in a trust).
http://www.sanmateocountytaxcollecto...il.jsp?list=AD

I looked up the house on google earth and I'm quite familiar with the location and have passed it easily hundreds of times. Some records have this address listed as multi-family 625 California Dr, Burlingame, CA 94010 | Trulia. The house next door appears to be identical except for the picket fence.

It's in a convenient location - walking distance to downtown Burlingame Avenue, across from Burlingame High School and Washington Park, and one block from Burlingame Aquatics pool.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:48 PM

Apparently there are two homes on one lot???

Parent child transfers are often exempt from reassessment with property documentation... all depends how recent the chain of transfers.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:10 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
'Where am I going to go?': Cancer sufferer, 97, is being evicted from the small home she has rented for 66 YEARS so landlord can cash in on booming million-dollar California property prices

]
So, this is the owners choice. They should lose out due to charity?

Old 02-24-2016, 07:17 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Apparently there are two homes on one lot???

Parent child transfers are often exempt from reassessment with property documentation... all depends how recent the chain of transfers.
"There are two homes on two lots that should sell for approximately $3,000,000. The plan is to demolish them and build a large mixed-use building on the property"

I can't image them getting $3 million for those lots.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:10 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
'Where am I going to go?': Cancer sufferer, 97, is being evicted from the small home she has rented for 66 YEARS so landlord can cash in on booming million-dollar California property prices

The community of Burlingame, California is rallying around a 97-year-old cancer patient who faces eviction from the home she has lived in for nearly seven decades.
Marie Hatch, 97, says she first moved into her home 66 years ago when her friend Vivian Kruse owned the cozy cottage.

Hatch claims Kruse gave her a verbal promise that she could live in the home until she died - a promise that was guaranteed by Kruse's daughter and then granddaughter.
But after Kruse's granddaughter died in 2006, her husband took control of the home and now he is pushing to sell the property.

Hatch and her 85-year-old roommate Georgia Rothrock were served with eviction papers on February 11, giving them 60 days to vacate the property.

Read more:
Marie Hatch aged 97 faces eviction from California home she's rented for 66 YEARS | Daily Mail Online

Yes this is a sad thing sure. But it is high time these two old ladies get some safety into a care center. The owner is within his rights - it's business. And not only that but the elderly are not able to maintain the property so who knows what shape the place is in.

This is nothing against elders, it is just common sense. Promises made 66 years ago cannot be expected to hold up.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
"There are two homes on two lots that should sell for approximately $3,000,000. The plan is to demolish them and build a large mixed-use building on the property"

I can't image them getting $3 million for those lots.
Sounds incredible... yet if the lots are in the right place with the right zoning and large enough... maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate