Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 05:14 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Because they don't in our area. We ran up a list of sales costs for homes in our area that were all built within 10 years of one another. Some were updated. Some were not. No sign of increased property values for active HOA homes.

For every neighborhood where the HOA are responsible for keeping properties tidied up, there are other neighborhood that are plenty tidy without the hassle.
That's fine. There are exceptions to literally everything. In general HOAs help values though, although how much would vary by how bad the neighbors are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 10:45 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
That's fine. There are exceptions to literally everything. In general HOAs help values though, although how much would vary by how bad the neighbors are.
Do you have any studies, evidence, links...to support that in general HOA's help values?

I have been unable to find anything other than the 2005 report that seems questionable at best.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:50 AM

While HOAs may show an uptick property values at the start when everything looks spiffy, would be curious to know how this works out over time.

HOAs built in the 60's and 70's are starting to show their age. How do things work out in HOAs facing increasing maintenance costs associated with aging communites? How have property values held up in comparison to non-HOA home values?

Old 03-09-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Do you have any studies, evidence, links...to support that in general HOA's help values?

I have been unable to find anything other than the 2005 report that seems questionable at best.
I don't have anything. I haven't seen any conclusive data showing they don't have an effect either. I'm not sure how often those types of studies are performed, I'm thinking not often. We can agree to disagree, but to me it seems obvious they do help in many situations. I've definitely seen and read anecdotal evidence for what it's worth which is not much on an anonymous msg board. That said I understand your point that some neighborhoods don't need an HOA and thus it would have no effect because the people are courteous and take care of the community on their own.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I don't have anything. I haven't seen any conclusive data showing they don't have an effect either. I'm not sure how often those types of studies are performed, I'm thinking not often. We can agree to disagree, but to me it seems obvious they do help in many situations. I've definitely seen and read anecdotal evidence for what it's worth which is not much on an anonymous msg board. That said I understand your point that some neighborhoods don't need an HOA and thus it would have no effect because the people are courteous and take care of the community on their own.
Not obvious to me.

If there was data that proved HOA homes sell for more than similar non-HOA homes, where is it?

Developers, HOAs, CAI (Community Association Institute), and others with a vested interest in proving HOAs add value have no doubt looked into this. So where are the studies?

Old 03-09-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Not obvious to me.

If there was data that proved HOA homes sell for more than similar non-HOA homes, where is it?

Developers, HOAs, CAI (Community Association Institute), and others with a vested interest in proving HOAs add value have no doubt looked into this. So where are the studies?
Where are the studies that show HOAs don't add value? I honestly haven't looked because I don't care that much about debating it with you, but if you can't find any either way what does it prove? It's obvious to me but like I said we're going to agree to disagree on this one

Old 03-09-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Where are the studies that show HOAs don't add value? I honestly haven't looked because I don't care that much about debating it with you, but if you can't find any either way what does it prove?
It proves that there is a lack of evidence that HOAs improve property values.

You can believe it if you want, but there is no evidence at this point to support your belief.

Saying it is true because you can't find a study that says it isn't, is like saying aliens exist because there is no evidence they don't exit.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
It proves that there is a lack of evidence that HOAs improve property values.

You can believe it if you want, but there is no evidence at this point to support your belief.

Saying it is true because you can't find a study that says it isn't, is like saying aliens exist because there is no evidence they don't exit.

I see, you're one of those people that is always right. I like discussing things with people like you(not). And to think, you seemed rational with we first started chatting. Bottom line we're both stating our opinions, you don't have any evidence to back yours up either. Nice face palm

"You can believe it if you want" Yes we'll both believe what we want to obviously

Old 03-10-2016, 07:58 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,903,080 times
Quote:
I see, you're one of those people that is always right. I like discussing things with people like you(not). And to think, you seemed rational with we first started chatting. Bottom line we're both stating our opinions, you don't have any evidence to back yours up either. Nice face palm

"You can believe it if you want" Yes we'll both believe what we want to obviously
Same conclusion here. It's simple, don't live where there is an HOA

Old 03-10-2016, 08:59 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,449,996 times
Quote:

Except that there is ample evidence from the documents imposing an HOA that is contrary to the claim that HOAs "protect property values". Consider:
1) a perpetual lien that can be foreclosed on by a private corporation that has no obligation to provide anything to you
2) perpetual liens that can never be paid off unlike a mortgage, car loan, or any other security interest
3) in any other debt context, debt is incurred in return for services/goods provided. What services/goods does the HOA have an obligation to provide to you?
4) more restrictions can be imposed on your property without your consent
5) you have no "right" to vote. Voting is at the discretion of a board that can choose whether you are "in good standing"
6) you have no "right" to run for office.
7) you need to have "permission" before building or maintaining things on your own property. The people you seek "permission" from are not competent engineers, architects, etc. nor are they providing any professional services whatsoever. You are just supposed to grovel to them.
8) assessments can be increased; special assessments can be added; failure/refusal to pay can lead to foreclosure of your property
9) the money you pay in assessments will be used in part to pay for insurance to defend HOA board members. There is no comparable insurance for homeowners a
10) The organization spends 100% of its time threatening and suing its own members
11) the list goes on and on

So feel free to indicate why these obvious negative aspects of an HOA "preserve property value" to a person currently living in the subdivision and to a prospective buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate