Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 07:43 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
You should change your screen name to BernieSanders19. My point is the government doesn't deserve another dime, especially on equity someone needs for another primary residence.
being paid on commission doesn't give you a higher tax rate. read up on taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 05:14 PM

686 posts, read 805,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettert View Post
being paid on commission doesn't give you a higher tax rate. read up on taxes.

In theory you are incorrect. Commissions most months accumulate from previous deals causing higher tax brackets for that specific pay period. Some months I pay very little taxes and some months I pay at the very highest bracket, so yes commissions do give you a higher tax rate. It all depends on the timing of when the commissions are paid.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:31 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,400,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
In theory you are incorrect. Commissions most months accumulate from previous deals causing higher tax brackets for that specific pay period. Some months I pay very little taxes and some months I pay at the very highest bracket, so yes commissions do give you a higher tax rate. It all depends on the timing of when the commissions are paid.
Withholding may vary from time to time, but federal income taxes are paid on an annual basis, so the commission itself isn't altering the tax rate.

By the way, what did your accountant have to say about the partial exclusion due to a work-related move?

Old 03-04-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I understand your point, but taxing profit from income that has already been taxed actually deters future investment. I see it all the time....the ROI gets smaller and smaller until its not worth doing any longer.

Also, if college is free, the quality of the college education will just continue to deteriorate...just exactly like public schools across the country have deteriorate.

I actually think more people need to goto technical schools and learn trades. This country needs more than accountants and lawyers....(especially need fewer lawyers) Try hiring a skilled labor person some time...A handyman, plumber, electrician, etc....Its hard to find good ones, and the good ones cost a fortune. Why? Because most people in this country are too lazy to do actual work.
Taxes, in general, reduce what is available for investment. It really doesn't matter if it's my regular income being taxed, or my investment income. Taxing either of them reduces the amount that I can later invest. Sure, I would prefer not to be taxed on investment income but, from a fairness standpoint, I really feel that all types of income should be taxed. The real problem, in my view, is that the tax rates are too high overall, with too many exemptions and loopholes which only select people (and companies) can use to their advantage.

But I do agree that more people need to go to technical schools. That's a very important part of post-secondary education. (My experience in three public colleges and universities was very positive, so I disagree with you about public education.)

Finally, I absolutely agree with you that there are too many lawyers!--just as there are too many real estate agents!

Old 04-09-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
By the way, what did your accountant have to say about the partial exclusion due to a work-related move?
This was one of my favorite threads. Hopefully, people learned about the availability of a partial exclusion on the sale of a principal residence--which is in addition to the 24-month rule.

It's now been over a year, OP. How did everything turn out?

Old 04-09-2017, 02:29 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Beats renting and having NO equity and NO gain.

Renting is where you pay a premium to enjoy temporary, impaired use of property.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:39 PM

106,621 posts, read 108,773,903 times
how temporary is 35 years ? that is how long my wife has been in our apartment renting . we have no impaired use of it at all . if we owned a co-op or condo our lives would be no different .

Old 04-09-2017, 10:44 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Hate to burst your bubble but Buyers & Sellers are the ones who set home prices not real estate agents. Lower income people who buy homes also benefit from tax deductions as well since most people with a FHA 3% Down Payment would be locked out of buying a home with a Conventional Down Payment.
I am so grateful for the first time home owner program in California where we live. 3% down and we were able to buy a home that we are still in today. That was late 2010 when we moved in. Our home has increased in value well over $200,000 since we bought it just over 6 years ago.

For us the program helped create wealth. Then again that would only happen if we were to sell. We have no plans to sell ever, just pay off the debt. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate